New howa superlite

Just got it all put together yesterday, have picked up 3 different boxes of factory (still one more type on order) and am going to start barrel break in/sighting in tomorrow. I don’t reload anymore so want to test a wide assortment before getting the cds cut.
Have to get used to taking the steps to shooting a light rifle once again but that’s part of the fun! First Weatherby for me but the craftsmanship/detail looks good and it’s “guaranteed” to shoot so the rest will be on my back.
Is it that new 6.5 rpm?

Is it that new 6.5 rpm?
No it's the 6.5CM (Mark V Backcountry 2.0 Ti).
Since I don't reload anymore I had to take the ammo situation into consideration, 6.5RPM and even the PRC (my first choice) ammo is like a herd of unicorns around here unfortunately. But that's ok, already had a couple of 30 cals for the other end of the spectrum!

No it's the 6.5CM (Mark V Backcountry 2.0 Ti).
Since I don't reload anymore I had to take the ammo situation into consideration, 6.5RPM and even the PRC (my first choice) ammo is like a herd of unicorns around here unfortunately. But that's ok, already had a couple of 30 cals for the other end of the spectrum!
I really like the creedmoor. I think its a good choice for a lot of stuff. Ammo selection and affordability is also a big concern for me as well.

I have been waiting to see feedback on this rifle. Everywhere I looked it says “out of stock” as well. Wouldn’t mind getting my hands on one seeing how insanely light they are.

Weather not exactly cooperating much these days, snow but mainly wind, so I’ve only got 15 down the tube. Still finishing up bbl break in and waiting for a box of eld-x to show up. So far does it job IF I do mine, being light exaggerates any miscues and really makes you (me at least) concentrate on breath and trigger control.

I’m def sure I’ll be singing more it’s praises after packing it for a bit this fall, crazy light!

I just got the Howa Superlite in .308. Ordered a VX3HD 2.5x8 from Schmalts. Would like to have mounted it in Talley Lightweights, but they don't have them in production yet so had to stick with the rail that came with the rifle and added rings. 5#10oz with the scope mounted on the rail, should be able to drop a couple ounces with the Talleys.

The butt pad to stock joint seems like a bit of an afterthought, kind of like a bead of glue or something. The HACT trigger is pretty good, could be a bit lighter for my liking. Picked up a box of cheap Winchester 180 grain to break in the barrel. Last two shots of break in were just about touching. Just shot it while wearing a t-shirt and hoody, recoil is not bad at all.

I worked up loads for my hunting partner's Kimber Montana .308 using AR-Comp and 130TTSX, just under 3100fps. Going to aim for the same load for this rifle. Should be a fun rifle, considerably lighter than my Howa Alpine in 6.5CM with the same scope.

I just got the Howa Superlite in .308. Ordered a VX3HD 2.5x8 from Schmalts. Would like to have mounted it in Talley Lightweights, but they don't have them in production yet so had to stick with the rail that came with the rifle and added rings. 5#10oz with the scope mounted on the rail, should be able to drop a couple ounces with the Talleys.

The butt pad to stock joint seems like a bit of an afterthought, kind of like a bead of glue or something. The HACT trigger is pretty good, could be a bit lighter for my liking. Picked up a box of cheap Winchester 180 grain to break in the barrel. Last two shots of break in were just about touching. Just shot it while wearing a t-shirt and hoody, recoil is not bad at all.

I worked up loads for my hunting partner's Kimber Montana .308 using AR-Comp and 130TTSX, just under 3100fps. Going to aim for the same load for this rifle. Should be a fun rifle, considerably lighter than my Howa Alpine in 6.5CM with the same scope.
Thankfully the HACT trigger can be adjusted easily. I have a Howa mini and I really like it. That superlite in 308 definitely catches my eye

I have a Howa Mini in .223 that I had rechambered for .223AI. Lots of fun to shoot. Whacked a 300# boar in Northern Cali in April with a 62gr TTSX. Have to weigh it, but think it is lighter than the Superlite.

Be careful of rifles that weight so little. They are a joy to carry but it is hard to stabilize them especially in the wind. I had Remington Custom Shop build me a .270 and used it on a Mule deer hunt in Wyoming. It was so windy, the rifle was hard to stabilize. I sold that rifle and hunt with rifles that weight 7 to 7.5 pounds and am much more confident in their ability to perform in hunting conditions.

I have three Howa rifles in three different calibers. Nothing but praise for these rifles, the accuracy is far and beyond above the price point. I wish they would bring back the stainless actions...
They are working to bring back the stainless actions, due to requests from customers. Not sure of the ETA on those.

As a side note, I just got to read an advance copy of Craig Boddington's review and assessment of his .308 Win Super Lite that he wrote for an upcoming edition of Guns & Ammo. If people put faith in Craig's assessment, stores might want to bump their inventory a bit.

Back