Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New howa superlite

Not a Howa, but.
My son got a Kimber Mountain ascent in 6.5 Creedmore.
A nice light gun like 5 pounds, BUT.
The pencil-thin barrel will heat in two shots and never get back on paper till cold.
even something with light recoil will kick the snot out of you in a 5-pound gun. be careful what you wish for.
Ive got a ultralight Kimber in 3006 that loves 180 grain fodder. Thing puts the first 2 rounds into a figure 8, the 3rd an inch high, and the 4th... who knows as its off the paper by then vertically. Recoil is stout but the stock geometry keeps it tolerable. I wouldnt want to try the same rifle in anything bigger caliber wise and id love to find one in 7mm-08.

I just got the Howa Superlite in .308. Ordered a VX3HD 2.5x8 from Schmalts. Would like to have mounted it in Talley Lightweights, but they don't have them in production yet so had to stick with the rail that came with the rifle and added rings. 5#10oz with the scope mounted on the rail, should be able to drop a couple ounces with the Talleys.

The butt pad to stock joint seems like a bit of an afterthought, kind of like a bead of glue or something. The HACT trigger is pretty good, could be a bit lighter for my liking. Picked up a box of cheap Winchester 180 grain to break in the barrel. Last two shots of break in were just about touching. Just shot it while wearing a t-shirt and hoody, recoil is not bad at all.

I worked up loads for my hunting partner's Kimber Montana .308 using AR-Comp and 130TTSX, just under 3100fps. Going to aim for the same load for this rifle. Should be a fun rifle, considerably lighter than my Howa Alpine in 6.5CM with the same scope.
Care to share your load info?

I'm just adding my 2 cents as a new member to get over the 10 comments necessary before posting my own thread. I purchased the 308 in walnut for $529.00 with a $26.00 coupon, free shipping from Online Outfitters. (Gun Broker) Shot it off led sled stock cracked. Received new one. Shot it off my shoulder. Stock cracked. The carbon fiber stock is on its way. Agent said 308 Shot off led sleds are cracking. But the 2nd one I used just a standard rest??

I'm going to see mine in person Soon! Mine is "Out For Delivery" to my FFL. I ordered the 308, with green web stock from Brownells. Think I got the last green one there, still have it in tan or grey though. Details to come. :)

I'm just adding my 2 cents as a new member to get over the 10 comments necessary before posting my own thread. I purchased the 308 in walnut for $529.00 with a $26.00 coupon, free shipping from Online Outfitters. (Gun Broker) Shot it off led sled stock cracked. Received new one. Shot it off my shoulder. Stock cracked. The carbon fiber stock is on its way. Agent said 308 Shot off led sleds are cracking. But the 2nd one I used just a standard rest??
Did he say only walnut is cracking in 308? I plan on shooting my carbon from the led sled.

I just got the Howa Superlite in .308. Ordered a VX3HD 2.5x8 from Schmalts. Would like to have mounted it in Talley Lightweights, but they don't have them in production yet so had to stick with the rail that came with the rifle and added rings. 5#10oz with the scope mounted on the rail, should be able to drop a couple ounces with the Talleys.

The butt pad to stock joint seems like a bit of an afterthought, kind of like a bead of glue or something. The HACT trigger is pretty good, could be a bit lighter for my liking. Picked up a box of cheap Winchester 180 grain to break in the barrel. Last two shots of break in were just about touching. Just shot it while wearing a t-shirt and hoody, recoil is not bad at all.

I worked up loads for my hunting partner's Kimber Montana .308 using AR-Comp and 130TTSX, just under 3100fps. Going to aim for the same load for this rifle. Should be a fun rifle, considerably lighter than my Howa Alpine in 6.5CM with the same scope

Did the loads in your post end up being accurate in your Super Lite? Did you chrony them? I'm not familiar with AR-Comp, is it on the faster side of what works in a 308? I ask that as I figure faster powder won't get wasted of of the shortish 20" barrel. Like you, I want this to be capable at range even though it's extremely light. I'm putting a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 w/BRH reticle in Talley low mounts. Have you switched to Talleys? If so, did you weigh the rail when you took it off? I don't get my rifle until next week, and the Talleys aren't here yet either, just trying to work up preliminary weight. Best I can figure is it will still be a hair under 6 lbs with scope, sling and 4 rounds of ammo. TIA

Your scope weighs an ounce more than mine, so end weight will be 5#9oz or close enough, rifle, rings and scope. Yes, that is with the Talleys. I am not a fan of rails, it got tossed.

AR-Comp works good with the Barnes 130TTSX, pretty damn accurate, 1" or less and just shy of 3100fps.

Not for recoil, but it takes most of the human out for initial zeroing of the platform.
Have never used a lead sled, just a good front rest and bag in back. I usually remove my sling swivel studs and hold on tight to the lightweight rifles, usually with a hand over the barrel in front of the scope.

Your scope weighs an ounce more than mine, so end weight will be 5#9oz or close enough, rifle, rings and scope. Yes, that is with the Talleys. I am not a fan of rails, it got tossed.

AR-Comp works good with the Barnes 130TTSX, pretty damn accurate, 1" or less and just shy of 3100fps.
Thanks, realizing it's not advice and that I should work up my own load carefully, what charge did you find worked best in yours?

Thanks, realizing it's not advice and that I should work up my own load carefully, what charge did you find worked best in y

Was wrong on the fps, just over 3000fps. Lapua brass, F210M, 45.5gr AR-Comp, 2.805" with factory crimp. Note these bullets were hBn coated, https://www.bulletcoatings.com/product/reloading-bullet-tumbling-boron-nitride-hbn-powder-kit/
Thanks, are seeing noticeable benefits from the coatings? Looks cool, but the expense and (especially for me) extra time have to be justified. Do you also coat the barrel?

Definitely makes the bullets very slippery and in turn will coat the barrel to a degree. I can't say for sure because a lot of loads I have worked up are with the coated bullets and don't have prior experience with uncoated. If you have the tumbler already it is no big deal. That little canister of powder will probably coat over 10,000 bullets, use about 1/4 tsp per 100 bullets and a couple hours in the tumbler.

Back