New Howa 308

Little Big Man MT Chris

Took my Howa 308 out today and put my first 20 rounds through it to break it in , had lots of fun ! The last 3 years since I started hunting again i have used an old 7 mm and an ancient 30-06 which I borrowed from my dad for deer and elk, while I filled my tags with both rifles , 2 bucks with the 7 mm and a deer and elk with the 06 . It's nice to have bought my own rifle for the 1st time . Looking forward to my upcoming deer and elk hunts this season. I have no idea who gave me the idea or inspiration to buy a Howa :hump: since I don't watch OYOA or FRESH TRACKS.... Ha ha ha
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck. The Howa Model 1500 in a .308 Win has killed more animals on our show than any rifle we have.

thanks !! i will OTC Blacktail in the coast range again this year and i drew my first roosevelt cow tag for a FEB 1st til MARCH 31st hunt this spring, i will post pics if im successful :cool:

Last edited:
My first rifle I hunted was a old Winchester Model 70 in .270. borrowed from an older brother. Great rifle , one of the pre 1970. I didn't know what I had. Should have bought it from him. He loved trading guns and he did well.

Wish I had enough sense to keep it!

My first rifle I hunted was a old Winchester Model 70 in .270. borrowed from an older brother. Great rifle , one of the pre 1970. I didn't know what I had. Should have bought it from him. He loved trading guns and he did well.

Wish I had enough sense to keep it!

I was using what I believe was a 1967 remmington gamemaster 760 30-06 pump action last season, liked the rifle but the scope was crap but it was on hinges and could lay over for use of the iron sights in case of a close quarters encounter, straight shootin weapon thou and was happy to have use of it , but looking forward to the better scope on my new rifle , here I a pic of the rifle I used last season
image.jpg

Last edited:
Thats an awesome, new setup you have. I have been eyeing a .308 as well. Was thinking of Browning because of a dealer connection, but that HOWA has me thinking otherwise...

Thats an awesome, new setup you have. I have been eyeing a .308 as well. Was thinking of Browning because of a dealer connection, but that HOWA has me thinking otherwise...

ya the costal farm and ranch store here in oregon close to my place has the howa 1500 308 with a good scope on sale for 469$ right now there in black houge stock

OregonChris,

Enjoy your posts, fresh insight in the forum.

Good Hunting~

thank you , since i just got back into hunting only a few years ago, i dont have a wealth of knowledge and experience to offer, but i think of hunttalk as just a bunch of guys sitting around a campfire just talking life and hunting and the end of the day regardless of experience everybody has something good to offer :p

Last edited:
While dreaming of a new barrelled action I noticed Buds has the 308 for $369!!! That's cheaper than they sell just the actions for.

While dreaming of a new barrelled action I noticed Buds has the 308 for $369!!! That's cheaper than they sell just the actions for.

I'm loving mine ! Took the girlfriend out today for her first rifle lesson , she wants to go on her first deer hunt this season , I took her out earlier this summer to learn on a 22 with iron sights , today she fired her 1st big rifle , she hit the black on every shot , had her shoot at about 50 yards then moved her back to about 100 yards , I think the deer need to be on high alert, we have a new huntress in Oregon, the HOWA is deadly

learning how to shoot with iron sights early summer
image.jpg
image.jpg
after 3 rounds at 50 yds, i moved her back
image.jpg
she hit black at 100 also, we used 150 grain ammo, box said at 100 yds it was +1.9"
image.jpg
the hole just left of black circle was her 3rd round on a dbl shot, i had her load 2 rounds and fire then reload and fire again as if a deer was still going for rounds 2&3, her 4th round was closest yet, even though she missed 3rd round just barley at 100 yds she still would have put it in an animal. i feel confident we can close the deal on her first deer hunt this fall
image.jpg
we will go back out again before season opens OCT 1st, but she did great today and she got familiarized with how a rifle works

Last edited:
What ammo are you using? I've thought about getting one in a different caliber and wondered what they liked. I was just busting your stones :cool:

What ammo are you using? I've thought about getting one in a different caliber and wondered what they liked. I was just busting your stones :cool:

its all good, my fist box was federal power shok 180 grain, today was hornady American whitetail 150 grain inter lock, i also bought hornady match 168 grain A Max, but didnt shoot those , im just experimenting, ive only put 30 rounds through it, just buying whats around in local stores
image.jpgimage.jpg

The federal 180 is zeroed at 100 but box says -4.9" at 200 , I don't want those for deer hunting , I bought the box because it was 20$ to break in Howa , the Hornady 150 gr and 168 gr is zero drop at 200 yds , most Blacktail shots in my area are under 200 , which is why i bought the Hornady, im still learning about ammo
image.jpg

Last edited:
Not trying to nitpick here at all - but the ammo drop charts on the boxes are suggestions. Meaning that if the box says 0" at 100, and -3.9" at 200, you can sight in 2" high at 100 which puts you dead on at 200. If another box says +1.5" at 100, thats because you adjust the scope & shoot the gun so that the center of your group is there. I hope this helps clarify this for you as where you want to sight in for to adjust the parabola of the bullets flight is totally up to you. Ammo of different bullet weights and different ammo companies may very well shoot completely differently to different points of impact too!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back