Caribou Gear Tarp

New guy looking for some NM elk units for 2021

Kysteve

I’m new here, this being my first attempt at a post. My wife and I are looking at NM for a 2021 elk hunt if we get lucky in the draw, and never being farther west than the mighty Mississippi I’m hoping to get some help from some guys here that knows what they are doing. We’ve hunted elk here in Ky so I know a little, very little about them. I’ve read a lot about Unit 52 being a good unit to see elk and that’s what we’re looking for right now is quantity not necessarily quality for a first hunt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thank you!

Welcome. New Mexico posts the raw data of number of applicants for each hunt that draw odds can easily be calculated from. Same with harvest success. Or buy a GoHunt membership.

Look at the COER units for places of highest probability to see critters.

Welcome. New Mexico posts the raw data of number of applicants for each hunt that draw odds can easily be calculated from. Same with harvest success. Or buy a GoHunt membership.

Thanks I’ll check into these!

If you want to hunt elk, I'd have a back up plan, the unit your looking at is only 11% odds last year. It will likely be less this year, especially with multiple threads on the unit on multiple forums. We got lucky and drew NM in 2019, not 52, but even with high odds unit in our choices we struck out this year. We ended up hunting Colorado this year, which was our backup plan, and had a good experience, even in a "poor" unit. Planning on MO this year and WY next. My advice is don't spend too much time on units, and have a plan to hunt elk. I wish I would of done it 15 years ago. Get GoHunt if you want to get into unit details.

If you want to hunt elk, I'd have a back up plan, the unit your looking at is only 11% odds last year. It will likely be less this year, especially with multiple threads on the unit on multiple forums. We got lucky and drew NM in 2019, not 52, but even with high odds unit in our choices we struck out this year. We ended up hunting Colorado this year, which was our backup plan, and had a good experience, even in a "poor" unit. Planning on MO this year and WY next. My advice is don't spend too much time on units, and have a plan to hunt elk. I wish I would of done it 15 years ago. Get GoHunt if you want to get into unit details.

Exactly, buy your New Mexico “lottery ticket” but plan on somewhere else if you are determined to hunt elk in 2021.

The draw odds cannot be easily calculated, even though it may seem that way at first glance. You would need to know how each applicant has their choices ordered, what order they were randomly drawn and whether they were on a party application. I would actually say they are almost impossible to calculate but gohunt does a good job with simulations.

Welcome to the forum. It's hard to recommend an area because in New Mexico they have the guided draw along with an expansive landowner tag system. But I would highly suggest Gohunt I use it And love the efficiency of their filtering 2.0. You can tell it what your looking for in a hunt and it will give you units that fit your criteria. I have nothing against huntin fool I just don't use their product so I can't day anything about them.

Thanks for the advice, Colorado is our backup plan if we don’t get lucky in the NM draw. I

The draw odds cannot be easily calculated, even though it may seem that way at first glance. You would need to know how each applicant has their choices ordered, what order they were randomly drawn and whether they were on a party application. I would actually say they are almost impossible to calculate but gohunt does a good job with simulations.
Draw odds are impossible to predict because they are always using previous data which says nothing of what will happen this year.

You are correct that all those are factors to consider for a more accurate prediction , however you can still get a reasonable and relative look at different units to compare with just the published data. i.e. 16a is way harder to draw that 21b.

I'd look at 51 along with 52. Both Carson NF. Alot of either sex tags given and lots of small bulls and cows. Both were my first two draw years and learned a ton just watching elk groups interact.

aahrens_83 I’ve looked at 51a and 51b, a little on the FarWide app so I’ll definitely put them down as a second and third choice. What you describe with elk numbers and small bulls is exactly what I’m looking for. It’s all learning for me at this point. Thanks

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back