Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Gun Input

I currently own a Howa 270 but am interested in something a little bigger. I am thinking either 7 mag or a 300 win mag to give me a little bit more punch for an elk out at up to around 400 yards, which is the farthest that I would feel comfortable shooting. These two seem to be pretty similar with a little bit more energy from the 300. Any help or something that I may be missing would be appreciated!

I currently own a Howa 270 but am interested in something a little bigger. I am thinking either 7 mag or a 300 win mag to give me a little bit more punch for an elk out at up to around 400 yards, which is the farthest that I would feel comfortable shooting. These two seem to be pretty similar with a little bit more energy from the 300. Any help or something that I may be missing would be appreciated!
Price range? Or are you just looking for cartridge recommendations?

For what it is worth, I have hunted with everything from a .243 as a kid to .308, 30-06, 6.5, 30-30, etc. and my Tikka 30-06 handles it all but my next all around North American/Western rifle will be a 300 win mag in either the Browning Hells Canyon or a Tikka t3 Rough Tech.

The 300 WM is a nice step up in power from the good old 270. It's ability to use much heavier bullets than most of the 270 pills puts it a bit further ahead of most of the 7 magnums.

I have both and like both. i do not think you are going to make a bad decision either way between those two. Like @rwc101 says, you can always get both.

Like others have said the 7 mag will not be a big enough advantage over the .270. If you're feeling the need for more I would go for the .300.

WOW!!!
Elk the whole way out to 400 yards??!!

If i were you i think i'd go.....
Smaller..

Our fearless leader & others have had no problems taking elk to 400 yards with 7mm-08 & 308.

The 270 will certainly get the job done.

But, if you just want a new rifle, my vote is 7mm Rem Mag.

Said by the man that is picking up a Ruger 77 MKII in 25-06 for hunting on the gaslines.

I have both. I like the 7mm better less recoil and you can shoot as light as 100gr for light skinned animals like deer or antelope or up to 175 for elk or moose. I like the versatility of the round myself. I killed my first bull last fall with my 7mm @ 315 yds with 162gr Hornady Precision Hunters. He didn't go 10 feet. The 300 Win mag is a great round. "The 300 Win Mag has more recoil than the 7mm Rem Mag when fired from the exact same rifle. A .300 Win Mag load firing a 165 grain bullet has about 25% more recoil than a 7mm Rem Mag load firing a 150 grain bullet at a similar muzzle velocity." I personally don't like the additional recoil of the 300. Just my opinion. 7mm gets my vote!

blacksheep

.270 will do the job, but if you handload, .280 AI is a great all around NA game cartridge. If you don’t mind a little kick, 300wm certainly does give you flexible step up from .270.

As for rifles, I would go TiKka or Begara (but not sure if either is chambering 280AI at the moment.

I vote 7 mag or 300 short mag lighter rifle.I cared sendero 7 mag for 6 years this year Christensen 7 mag half the weight

Remember, you can load a 300WM down to lesser calibers but you cant load the lesser calibers to 300WM performance. Be a man, without the bun!

I've always thought the .300WM as a nice compliment to the .270. 270 is a good all around and the 300 can do the dirty work. I'd go .270 with a 130 grain load and then a .300 with a 180 grain load. I shoot a 7mm mag as my "big gun" and have a .25-06 for deer and antelope, but I think the 7mm is too similar to a .270 if those are your two hunting rifles. Following article lays things out pretty clearly.

Back