Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Dog Thoughts

Just realized I answered a question you didn't ask. I still think joining NAVHDA is a good idea since knowing as many "dog people" as possible expands your network for when a really good dog needs to find a new home. Some breeders might get a dog returned to them for some reason other than a problem with the dog. Also, some field trial folks get rid of dogs that don't range far enough for them, even though they're good hunters.

haha I was thinking I could piece together what you were trying to get at but thanks for following up! Definitely something I'm going to look into as well.

dang i have a somewhat similar situation, 2 young kids at home, a pup about to hit 10. I've thought about all scenarios; started dog requires a big hit out of the savings account; rescue/C list free dog is a gamble whether or not its going to be a bird dog; and puppy training with 2 young kids at home already has me stressed out; even thought about not getting another dog but that would mean no more pheasant or duck hunting for me just when I need to start introducing the kiddos to bird hunting...

dang i have a somewhat similar situation, 2 young kids at home, a pup about to hit 10. I've thought about all scenarios; started dog requires a big hit out of the savings account; rescue/C list free dog is a gamble whether or not its going to be a bird dog; and puppy training with 2 young kids at home already has me stressed out; even thought about not getting another dog but that would mean no more pheasant or duck hunting for me just when I need to start introducing the kiddos to bird hunting...
No better way to get the kids interested than for there to be a puppy involved.....We got our GSP when the kids were 8 and 11. She was 8 weeks old. Worth every headache and missed training/hunting opportunity. Could she be a better bird dog? Sure. Does the family love having her around? Absolutely. The only downside is my boy wants to play tug-o-war with the dog. That's about the only real boundary I've set. He gets it that I don't want her to develop a hard mouth but it is fun to play with a dog that way! That and "if you give a command make sure the dog follows up on it!". That said, I'm no dog trainer nor do I have lots of experience with bird dogs but it's been a fun 2 years and I've learned a lot (about dogs, myself and parenting).

Something to consider is a Weimaraner, Drahtharrs can be a bit manic, usually have a really strong prey drive and can be a handful. GSP are often a little more controllable and better indoors. Weimaraner were first bred to be hunters/gun dogs that lived indoors with the family.

I've had some rescues and they all had issues. Some of the issues were mitigated with time, though they seem to persist just under the surface.

Some pretty big generalizations there, which are questionable in their accuracy.

Some pretty big generalizations there, which are questionable in their accuracy.
Sure it is opinion and 70 some years of observation. I've watched many dogs work and tend to notice tendencies. There are no real rules, like people all dogs are a little different. Even different in the same breed depending on the line. Most of my observations about Drahtharr, GSP and Weimaraners are near the source, German-bred. We do drive huts here a few times a year, often thirty dogs together. Most hunters here have a dog. I have enough acquaintances to have had the opportunity to get to know many individual dogs. Though surely not all breeds or lines.

Hopefully, this goes well for you. I got a GSP and he is extremely smart and trained very well. But he is also 100% imprinted in me, with that he has to be in my shadow. He knows nothing or understands anything about person space. He thinks he is a 65lbs lap dog.

Also he decided that he is second in our pack. My wife and kids are a distant third. In the house he incessantly paces and cant lay down for more than 5 minutes.

With all that said, we love him. But, be forewarned, a GSP is a lifetime challenging hunting buddy.

Hopefully, this goes well for you. I got a GSP and he is extremely smart and trained very well. But he is also 100% imprinted in me, with that he has to be in my shadow. He knows nothing or understands anything about person space. He thinks he is a 65lbs lap dog.

Also he decided that he is second in our pack. My wife and kids are a distant third. In the house he incessantly paces and cant lay down for more than 5 minutes.

With all that said, we love him. But, be forewarned, a GSP is a lifetime challenging hunting buddy.

How old is he?

Regarding rescue dogs... There are people who work with AKC, providing rescue for some breeds. I have a friend who is a rescue contact for Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Some of the dogs he helps place, are great animals. Sometimes the owners have sudden life situation changes, and have to get rid of their dog. Occasionally the owner passes away, and the family cannot care for or accept the dog. It may be worth contacting the AKC and exploring that possibility is you have a specific breed or breeds in mind.

It may be helpful for you and your wife to mutually agree upon your definition of a "rescue."

Some examples:
-Dog bred from hunting lines, and trained to hunt, whose owner dies, becomes disabled, and can no longer hunt with the dog. Owner or owner's family might want the dog to go to a new home where it can hunt, rather than just be a house pet the entire rest of its life. When my uncle passed away he had a 2-year old yellow lab trained for waterfowl.

-A breeder of hunting dogs who has a dog with a defect, such as one eye, runt, 3 legs, etc., who can't sell the dog and might be willing to depart with them for no cost. I've had a one-eyed English setter puppy, and a deaf Gordon setter offered to me for free from breeders.

My current dog is a lab/vizsla mix, approx. 7 years old. I rescued her five years ago from the roadside in MO. She is an awesome family pet, very clean, great with cats and small children. However, she does not hunt. No pointing instinct, hates water, hates loud noises, overly hyper/excitable. I taught her to force fetch, but she has very little interest in birds. She likes deer, rodents, and rabbits, and can catch the latter two on her own with blazing speed, and she is kept on a short leash during fawning season. However, no inclination to hunt for a human. I never expected her to. It's a major dice roll to try and hunt with a dog with unknown heritage.

Regarding rescue dogs... There are people who work with AKC, providing rescue for some breeds. I have a friend who is a rescue contact for Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Some of the dogs he helps place, are great animals. Sometimes the owners have sudden life situation changes, and have to get rid of their dog. Occasionally the owner passes away, and the family cannot care for or accept the dog. It may be worth contacting the AKC and exploring that possibility is you have a specific breed or breeds in mind.

I actually found a place like this for a couple different breeds and when the time is right we're going to be keeping a close watch on them.

Thanks!

My DK was a rescue, and she has turned into a fine bird dog, but with a few quirks from missing her early training for birds. I really wouldn't risk the investment of time and money to train an average rescue dog that had unknown potential.

If you are considering a quasi rescue route, look for some DKs or DDs that might have a slight physical conformation problem. I've seen them with slight teeth alignment issues or an extra spare rib fail the physical to breed them. They have good pedigrees and you can often purchase a started dog you can test for what a puppy normally runs. And the breeders are usually happy to send them to hunting homes.

My DK was a rescue, and she has turned into a fine bird dog, but with a few quirks from missing her early training for birds. I really wouldn't risk the investment of time and money to train an average rescue dog that had unknown potential.

If you are considering a quasi rescue route, look for some DKs or DDs that might have a slight physical conformation problem. I've seen them with slight teeth alignment issues or an extra spare rib fail the physical to breed them. They have good pedigrees and you can often purchase a started dog you can test for what a puppy normally runs. And the breeders are usually happy to send them to hunting homes.

DD and DK? You may need to elaborate lol

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back