New Dog Thoughts

teej89

I've always wanted a second dog, especially a pointer. Ultimately we want a hunting and family dog, like with Boomer he's a momma's boy at home but get him in the field and he's all business and no nonsense, well, some nonsense.

It looks like next year will be the year and my wife is on board but she wants to put a spin on it... she would like to rescue a dog. Yargh... We agreed a puppy would be a bit much with our current jobs and commute. With that, I started the discussion of a finished/started dog and she really wants me to entertain the idea of a rescue. Ultimately we'd search for one as close to 12mo as we could as well as meeting them and obviously I'd probably have just as much training to accomplish as I would with a puppy.

What is everyone's thoughts? Any success stories from a rescue?

Also, my dad's best hunting dog ever was a 6-9mo old Vizsla he found on the side of the road.

A rescue is great if you are willing to have a pet that might be a bird dog. Go for it if you want to. It will be a different challenge than a puppy or a started dog from a breeder. I'm partial to continental dogs (particularly GSP and Brittanies) for an all around hunter and family member but that's just my preference. Others are happy with an EP or Setter.

Here is one opinion. A dog’s hunting capability and biddability are mostly genetic, with some part depending on early socialization. That is always a crap shoot, but the odds are much more in your favor with a dog from proven litters, whelped by quality mothers and well socialized in the first few months of life. With a rescue, you really reduce your odds. Obviously not all pointing breeds come from hunting stock and not all rescue dogs were whelped and raised in a low stress environment. You could get a great one, and there are thousands of those stories. I suspect there are many thousands more where the hunting abilities were not there. If you want a bird dog, look to good lines with proven hunting ability from quality breeders. Otherwise odds are good you will be disappointed. Tough decision. Good luck with it.

If it were me, (and I'm looking at a GSP to add to my labs next year for an upland bird dog) I would not get a rescue. Sure breeders have issues, but most of them who do the blood and gene testing, there's very little of that. If you dig into a pedigree and a breeder you can find good ones quickly. The above issues are ones I would echo. I applaud those who get rescues for companion dogs, but for one that is going to work, you want to know it can.

The only hunting dogs I've hunted with that had zero drive to hunt were multi-thousand dollar hunting specific labs. According to both owner the breeder refused to acknowledge any issue (two different breeders, and dogs separated by a decade or more).

Even worse, if you're honest you might hunt 10 Saturdays a year for 12 years. But you're going to own that dog for 365 days a year. I'd damn sure want a good dog that might have questionable hunting ability vs a neurotic ball of hunting drive that won't come, eats the cat, destroys the couch, and won't listen to the kids.

GSP baby: these two are 7. They’ve been guiding for a living for 6 years. Hell on furniture and cats and Grizz. Molly has been known to jump in the river and swim after bears. Not sure about them being family dogs😄

Attachments

• 459A6DC8-75A9-4901-B78C-675EAE57730E.jpeg
    459A6DC8-75A9-4901-B78C-675EAE57730E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 9ACBF676-2CF7-4CE2-8318-BAD39AE79CEF.jpeg
    9ACBF676-2CF7-4CE2-8318-BAD39AE79CEF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • F8544D10-A965-4B03-BB61-27B379D13C40.jpeg
    F8544D10-A965-4B03-BB61-27B379D13C40.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 46126311-8DB1-41FA-B48C-2535F1E9EBF1.jpeg
    46126311-8DB1-41FA-B48C-2535F1E9EBF1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
Drahthaar fan. Big on and off switch but require a large amount of time in first 12 months. If you can't commit to that, I'd put it off another year or two.

Wild Kansas birds. He'll do waterfowl and tracking as well.

Every now and then a good established dog comes up on one of the hunting boards to be given away. A divorce, job transfer, illness and other reasons force someone to have to give a good dog away. Usually all they ask is that it goes to a good home and will be hunted. If I see one come up I'll let you know.
There's a guy in our town that breeds good Gsp's that are proven chukar dogs and my friend in Cali that I've exchanged Brittanies with for many years is talking about having a litter soon.

What Brittany said above would be my first choice if you are going to rescue a dog. I would reach out to several breed specific rescues and tell them what you are looking for.

For everyone that says, you gotta go with a breeder there are just as many stories of dogs from breeders with health issues.

Tell me about it, Boomer had both ACLs repaired and he has food allergies and gets ear infections and skin rashes occasionally.

Every now and then a good established dog comes up on one of the hunting boards to be given away. A divorce, job transfer, illness and other reasons force someone to have to give a good dog away. Usually all they ask is that it goes to a good home and will be hunted. If I see one come up I'll let you know.
There's a guy in our town that breeds good Gsp's that are proven chukar dogs and my friend in Cali that I've exchanged Brittanies with for many years is talking about having a litter soon.

That's a really good thought. We're in no rush to getting one so maybe I'll keep poking around different forums. What forums? I think I belong to a pheasant one.

Keep me in mind if you do see anything!

I would get involved with the closest NAVHDA chapter. Attend training days and even test days and watch the dogs work. You will meet lots of breeders, breeds, and specific sires/dams and get a feel for who you think will provide you what you're looking for. You can find great hunters, great health, and great temperaments in every breed. For me the deciding factor is size. I prefer smaller dogs right now, so I have Brittanies.

Just realized I answered a question you didn't ask. I still think joining NAVHDA is a good idea since knowing as many "dog people" as possible expands your network for when a really good dog needs to find a new home. Some breeders might get a dog returned to them for some reason other than a problem with the dog. Also, some field trial folks get rid of dogs that don't range far enough for them, even though they're good hunters.

I believe there are specific hunting dog rescues, seems like I've seen it mentioned before on other forums. I used to go to the Gun Dog Forum. Not sure how active it is there anymore, but used to have some good resources.

We rescued our female. After she was a year old she got sent back to the breeder that we got her litter mate brother from, as the people that bought her basically stuck her in a 10x10 kennel and never gave her any time. We took her in to help watch her while the breeder was out of town and that was that. While she's an awesome hunting dog and we love her, she definitely has her issues even 8 years later that all come from that first year. I'd be really selective of what you take in. I don't think I'd go that route again.

Back