New Country, what are you listening too

I've always been a huge Turnpike fan since they came on the scene several years back. A band I've been digging lately that is kind of a mix between Turnpike and Old Crow Medicine Show would be Flatland Cavalry. If your more into story songs check out James McMurtry

Sturgill, Jason Isbell, Reckless Kelly, Randy Rodgers Band, Turnpike Trubadors, and even though he is mainstream now, Chris Stapleton. I have seen several of these live, Chris by and far being the best live show. Saw him twice in a year. Super super talented guy.

Last edited:
I like variety so I've been listening to outlaw country on sirius xm lately....hearing familiar and new artists there.

From country to more folk/bluegrass-

Turnpike Troubadours
Cody Jinks
Reckless Kelly
Tyler Childers
Colter Wall
Chuck Ragan
Greensky Bluegrass
Trout Steak Revival

I'm a big fan of Chuck Ragan, but it's not for everyone. More like Turnpike Troubadours in content, but more folk in the sound.

Then there's always James McMurty- Choctaw Bingo if you're in the mood for something a bit faster.

Sturgill, Jason Isbell, Reckless Kelly, Randy Rodgers Band, Turnpike Trubadors, and even though he is mainstream now, Chris Stapleton. I have seen several of these live, Chris by and far being the best live show. Saw him twice in a year. Super super talented guy.

Sturgis is incredible live. One of the best I’ve ever seen.

I routinely listen to the ones listed (Turnpike, Reckless Kelly, Childers, Jinks, ect.) and add in a few more that I think are worth listening.

Justin Wells
John Moreland
Jason Eady
Sunny Sweeney
Aaron Lewis (don't hate me)
Miranda Lambert (seriously don't hate me but she's got some stuff not on the radio that'll hit you right in the feels)
Margo Price
Whiskey Myers
Ward Davis

Got to give a shout to some Louisiana guys too. Some made it bigger than others.
Jaryd Lane
Dustin Sonnier
Frank Foster
Kristen Foreman
And my friend Mike Dean who has written IMO the two best hunting songs. Woods and Blood on the Acorns.

Last edited:
I routinely listen to the ones listed (Turnpike, Reckless Kelly, Childers, Jinks, ect.) and add in a few more that I think are worth listening.

Justin Wells
John Moreland
Jason Eady
Sunny Sweeney
Aaron Lewis (don't hate me)
Miranda Lambert (seriously don't hate me but she's got some stuff not on the radio that'll hit you right in the feels)
Margo Price
Whiskey Myers
Ward Davis

Got to give a shout to some Louisiana guys too. Some made it bigger than others.
Jaryd Lane
Dustin Sonnier
Frank Foster
Kristen Foreman
And my friend Mike Dean who has written IMO the two best hunting songs. Woods and Blood on the Acorns.

+1 On Aaron Lewis. I was unsure of how he would do transitioning from metal, but his country music is great and seems to be underappreciated. Especailly his take on "What Hurts the Most." Good songwriter and heck of a voice.

I cannot believe the response this thread has gotten, thank you 88man for staring this!

Ok...seriously feel like I'm giving away my secret hunting spot with this one.... I don't have many that share my love of this genre of music.
These Tiny Desk Concerts pull from a huge variety of artists...some so new that this is their internet debut...some so old they are forgotten...
Here are a few from the artists mentioned above - I recommend subscribing to the page and browsing through the collection...you will find a few that surprise you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back