Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New bowhunter

RyeGuy74

I'm just seeing if anyone has any recommendations on a bow for someone trying to get into bowhunting? I know that's a question with a lot of variables but any help would be greatly appreciated!

dont spend to much if you just getting into the sport theirs a lot of great bows for not a lot of $

Best bet is to go to a local archery shop, not a box store, and talk to the folks there. Most have a selection of used and new. They can measure you and point you in the right direction.

dont spend to much if you just getting into the sport theirs a lot of great bows for not a lot of $

Hope you guys are keeping safe at this time.
Watching this from UK. Thinking of starting bow shooting but we don’t have many bow shops here, and therefore reliant on the internet.
Is the right idea to buy a cheap bow package to start with with a view to buying an better bow later or buy an intermediate bow with cheap fittings at the beginning and then upgrade the fittings?
Stay safe and thanks for any help.

BE

With today's technology, even a lower priced bow does well. My PSE stinger backup bow cost me about $350 all set up to shoot and it shoots just under 290 fps and is just as accurate as a higher priced bow. For someone just starting into the sport I don't suggest going out and spending $1000 on a new bow and another $500 in accessories. Look at classifieds and local papers and get either something used or an entry level priced bow. Archery equipment doesn't hold value very well and there's always those guys that get a new bow every year and dump off last year's bow for cheap. So, in my opinion, don't spend a ton on a bow just starting out. You might not end up liking the sport and you'll take a loss on an expensive bow if you decide to sell it. Get a cheaper bow, but put good accessories on it.

Thanks guys. Diamond SB1 has caught my eye. Not sure if anyone has tried it. But looks like it will kind of fit the bill as it is very adjustable.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. My dad bow hunted and loved it. He wanted me to give it a shot so I finally caved. I went to our local Scheels and purchased a Mathews Mission bow. I believe the whole setup cost me $500ish. That was a bow, ready to shoot with TruFire release. I also purchased a climber stand.
Shooting the bow was ok. I then started hunting. To be honest, I hated bow hunting at first. My mind did not change until the rut. To say I'm addicted to it now would be a massive understatement.
I am now weighing the pros to cost of upgrading my bow. Here I don't really shoot over 30 yards. If I were to go out west though that would probably change. That is a whole different conversation for a different thread.
Good luck!

Thanks guys. Diamond SB1 has caught my eye. Not sure if anyone has tried it. But looks like it will kind of fit the bill as it is very adjustable.

The Edge my friend got is decent, but the modules are plastic which rubs me wrong. If you can avoid the ready to shoot package do it. The accessories are garbage. There are a lot of bows in the same price range by Bear and Mission also.

I started out several years back with a used Matthews MQ1, which I still shoot now. It's roughly 20 years old, but it shoots just fine and the speed isn't slow enough to justify $1,000+ on a new bow. My father in law picked it up off ebay, then sold it to me when he purchased 3 other bows. You can find some great deals on ebay, but it's risky since you can't check the condition of the bow prior to purchase. If you end up going this route, get the bow checked out by a bow shop prior to shooting.

Be warned, archery can become a long, dark, expensive addiction. Even if you don't drop $1,000+ on a bow, you can easily accumulate that much testing arrows, fletchings, broadheads, rests, releases, sights, etc.

There is a lot of great advice here. I would also suggest going to your local Archery shop and ask questions and get your set-up, you don't need to go crazy and spend a ton of money, when I started out, my bow was used, I think I spent $250 bucks back then, and it harvested animals for me. Second, find a local 3-D archery shoot and go, it doesn't matter how good you are, you're there to practice and ask questions. Look for the people that hunt at these 3-d shoots, most of them will help you and give you tips. I've been bow hunting for over 30 years, and still go to 3-d shoots to keep in shape, ask questions and get different ideas from other shooters, but now I also get to help others that are starting out, giving them tips and tricks and advice. Good luck to you.

There is a lot of great advice here. I would also suggest going to your local Archery shop and ask questions and get your set-up, you don't need to go crazy and spend a ton of money, when I started out, my bow was used, I think I spent $250 bucks back then, and it harvested animals for me. Second, find a local 3-D archery shoot and go, it doesn't matter how good you are, you're there to practice and ask questions. Look for the people that hunt at these 3-d shoots, most of them will help you and give you tips. I've been bow hunting for over 30 years, and still go to 3-d shoots to keep in shape, ask questions and get different ideas from other shooters, but now I also get to help others that are starting out, giving them tips and tricks and advice. Good luck to you.
Cheers. There is a local 3D shoot with an archery shop attached who I am hoping to go to when the lock down finishes. They run beginners courses so hoping to link up with them to get started. A lot of recurve shooters here in UK so compound in minority but guess the basics will be the same.
BE

Nothing wrong with buying a used bow Just know that you should factor in the cost of replacing the string into the purchase.

Like stated before. Some people "need" to have a new bow every year to keep up with the latest and greatest. They then sell their "old" bow to help fund the new one. You can find amazing bows for cheap. Its not all about the bow that makes it good, its the amount of practice you put in with that bow. See if you like it, and if you do want to pursue archery/bowhunting, you can always upgrade later.

Like stated before. Some people "need" to have a new bow every year to keep up with the latest and greatest. They then sell their "old" bow to help fund the new one. You can find amazing bows for cheap. Its not all about the bow that makes it good, its the amount of practice you put in with that bow. See if you like it, and if you do want to pursue archery/bowhunting, you can always upgrade later.
Pretty much what I did. Researched a LOT with the little knowledge I had and bought an inexpensive but NEW bow. Taught myself to shoot. Once I shot it a while and killed a couple deer I researched again and upgraded to another new bow, keeping my first in reserve.

I'm just seeing if anyone has any recommendations on a bow for someone trying to get into bowhunting? I know that's a question with a lot of variables but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for appreciating....

Pretty much what I did. Researched a LOT with the little knowledge I had and bought an inexpensive but NEW bow. Taught myself to shoot. Once I shot it a while and killed a couple deer I researched again and upgraded to another new bow, keeping my first in reserve.

hello dear I am not arguing with you. Actually I want to say that every year you have to buy a new bow, It is not necessary. Rather taking appropriate care of your bow can save big amount.

Back