New bow input

----

I'm shopping for a new bow, and kind of want to get it done soon so I have plenty of time to get used to it for the season.
The guy I'm going through wants to hook me up with one of these:
http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=135541&u=0905MC

Any of you guys shoot this model or just PSE in general?
I'm pretty green when it comes to archery equipment, so any input on what might or might not be good about this bow would be appreciated.

I shoot PSE and mine is an 8 year old Nova. I really like PSE based on what you get for the money. It's one of the quietest bows on the market and very smooth. You can spend more money, but there is no reason too if this bow shoots well for you and you are comfortable with it. I will be upgrading this year and actually already shot the Brute and it's only $399 and not much slower so for $100 bucks I'll take the cheaper bow.

I'm not saying I would not want a Matthews, but they are too costly for my blood. There are so many bows out there...I would suggest like everyone else is going to say and shoot as many as you can and get what's comfortable for you and in the price range you can afford or feel you needs to spend for what you are hunting. Don't let all the hype of how fast a bow is cloud your judgment...speed is not everything.

Are you getting the model with the 6.5" brace height or the one with 7 3/8" brace height? Personally I would not hunt with anything under a 7" brace height, just to finicky or your form errors which can definitely come into play when the heat is on. Just my 2cents. Otherwise I think PSE makes a good bow.

pse has come a long way. they used to always be really fast, but were really loud. nowadays they are fine bows. i own several diff bows. i cant say i have a favorite. i like the alphamax and maxxis by hoyt. i like the sq2 by mathews, which is no longer in production. i also like my old golden eagle and darton and bear bows. you might also look at the bear truth2. i bought one for my dad for fathers day and its probably quieter than my hoyt and mathews. but, the first guy was right. go to all the pro shops you can, shoot all the bows you can. look for torque, smoothness, and quiteness. i also agree with the above post about brace height. i prefer a brace height of 7 inches or longer. it is way more forgiving. hope that helps

I'm pretty sure I was looking at the 25" draw, 28.5" axle to axle, 60 pounder with the 7 3/8 brace.
Could be wrong though.

I own a Hoyt and a Bear and am looking at getting into a Matthews. PSE grips always felt kinda funny to me in the older models and seemed loud and had quite a bit of hand shock, from the ones I shot. I haven't shot a newer model, but if you like the bow, that's all that matters

There's a lot of nice equipment out there. I'm not a big PSE fan as I find the draw a little harsh.
You can't go wrong with anything from Hoyt or Mathews. I shoot a Switchback that's four years old
and it's smooth

I don't shoot that model, but I have shot PSEs before. Really, the best advice I could give is to shoot a bunch of bows. You might love the feel of an expensive bow and absolutely have to have it, even if you had your sights on a low priced model. Or vice versa. Nowadays, you really can't go wrong with bows...they shoot fast, are moderately quiet (or can be quieted) and outfitted with whatever gadgets you want. So, shoot a bunch and whatever you feel comfortable with, snag it. Don't get forced into a particular brand just because someone is pushing it. On second thought, if Greenhorn or BOHNTR tells you to buy a particular bow, DO IT and you musn't question them! :D

Randy, I'm assuming you're having someone fit the bow for your? That draw length seems shorter than average but not unheard of.

I've not shot the Bow Madness line but have heard good things. What kind of budget do you have?

Randy, I'm assuming you're having someone fit the bow for your? That draw length seems shorter than average but not unheard of.

I've not shot the Bow Madness line but have heard good things. What kind of budget do you have?

Dude I'm tiny, when I grow up I wanna be as tall as Miller. That is fitted.

This is at the very high end of my budget. I was hoping I could scrape by in the mid three hundreds for a bare bow, and upgrade the rest as I go.

Even if a guy is going to give you a hookup I'd still suggest going to some other shops and shooting additional models. There are just way to many good bows on the market these days. Certain shops will also push other brands more than others, take that into consideration when shooting bows.

With your budget thoughts I think you are getting a darn good bow at that price.

I have shot that bow and I really was impressed with how smooth it was. My only concern was the string angle at full draw with the short axle to axle of that model. But you do need to shoot it along side a few other in your price range and find the best feel.

I've said this before...but look at the Red Head line of bows from Bass Pro Shop. You can get an entire package with a rest, quiver, and sights, for mid 300's or so and the bows rival anything on the market for twice as much money.

Randy,

I am in the same boat (as per my handle). I just got a used Mathews Swithcback xt, and will have it set up with the 26.5" cam. I am new to the wheel-ie bow thingy, as this is my first bow with training wheels.

If you want to try it out, I should have it ready to shoot in a week or two, and we could meet in town sometime.

I am going to strat trying to shoot over lunch a couple times a week.

Regards,

Shortside

Thanks for the offer SS. I already shot a few matthews though, and really liked them.
Unfortunately though, I'm stuck buying new at SW/WO (gift cards), and Matthews are way out of my price range new.

I loved the switchback I shot though, that'd probably be the bow I was buying if I could afford it.

I think PSE makes a good bow. Pretty much any of them are good. The one thing i will say is I shot an omen the other day and it pulled horribly. The bow shot really well though. I think that single cam would be much easier to pull. I will say they seem to have great customer service. I shot a browning before pse took over thier archery part. I had owned the bow for 4 years and the shop that i bought it from went out of business. They handled my problem great and not only took care of me but upgraded me as well at no charge. That was a few years ago but they left me with a good impression.

Sportsmans Warehouse has a layaway plan. Use the giftcards to put the bow you really want on layaway if it's more than what the giftcards are. 20% down and 60 days is the plan for the ones here in CO

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back