New Boots

Elkmtb

We'll I went the cheap route a couple of years ago and went with the cheap off-brand of hunting boots. They worked great (waterproof/comfortable/warm)for two years, but now they are starting to leak around the seams. I going to try some spray on waterproofer to salvage them for backup boots, But I'm going to get a new pair.

What brand/type of hunting boots have you guys used and would recommend? Is Rocky really worth the extra $$. Where is the best place to buy them?

I know 800 grams of thinsulate and Gore-Tex is mandatory. I've looked at a few places online and the prices look alot better than the local sporting goods stores. I've seen prices from $59 to $250 on boots with pretty much the same feature. I'll be doing a mixture of hiking and still hunting in some pretty steep terrain.

Rocky is the only way to go,IMHO.I use Rocky tall timbers,and my feet appreciate it.

I have the Rocky Bearstalkers with 800gr Thinsulate and they are a good boot, though heavy. If stand hunting they are the bee's knees, but if walking much I prefer hiking style boot. The steeper the terrain, the stiffer the boot.

I really like my Cabella's Outfitter series. I have the 1000 gr Insulite pair, I think they're 10" high. They are all leather, but feel light to me. They were comfortable right from the start, and Cabella's has a 100% satisfaction guarantee - but I think that would apply even if you bought Rocky's from them. I have had them for about 4 or 5 years now.

http://cabelas.com They were on the first page when I just visited the website. You can also check out their "Bargain Cave" for some deals on hunting boots of various brands.

Damn, you mean my Justin ropers aren't good enough for hunting?
redface.gif
cool.gif

What kind of hunting do you plan to be doing? Give some ideas on terrain and if you will be spot/stalking, still hunting, or stand hunting. Much depends on what you will actually be doing. No need in having 1000 grams of thinsulate when you are going to be mostly walking.

Jim

I was awfully glad to have 1000 grams of thinsulite in Montana when it was 18 to 25 below zero, even walking around and climbing like we were! (I was the designated "pusher" to the other guys on stand.) It was so cold that the vibram soles wouldn't bend.
eek.gif

But I'm a southern California boy, not used to Arctic temperatures...

I have the Cabella's Outfitter boots, 14" high and all they do is hur me. I was told to give them a chance and they will be a boot that I will not want to do without. I can wear them for 2-3 days and then need to retire them for a week.

Asolo's, Zamberlains or Meindl, buy quality you won't regret it, Italians and Germans make the best boots look them up on google or Alta vista.

I'll be doing some spot and stalk and some still hunting. Going second season so you never know if you'll have 2 feet of snow or 80 degrees. Terrain will be a mix of flat parks to verticle dark timber.

T-bone, what makes Rocky's garbage?

Do you recommend 8, 10 or 12 in tall?

I like the 10-inch. High enough to keep crap out, not so high that they rub my calf or restrict circulation.

The Rockys did not seem to provide good support, and my knees hurt worse when side-hilling on steep slopes more than with almost any other boot. But I have a high arch, too.

I've got Cabelas Outfitters with 200gr insulate and I love them. They are rugged and very comfortable. I've had Rocky's and Danners before. The Rocky's imho were crappy. much heavier and leaked and I got blisters. I've had Danner Elk Hunters before and I liked them very much too. Good luck

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back