Is it just me or are Schnees boots getting worse?

jpcoll01

I'll start with stating that I have loved my last 5 pairs of Schnees boots (Timberlines and Beartooths) and their customer service is top shelf...but every pair I get is a little less quality than the pair before. My last two pairs of Timberlines were anything but waterproof, they leaked significantly. The latest replacement pair the leather and textiles just feel cheap, for an expensive pair of boots it's pretty disappointing. Since I believe a lot of these boots are made in the same factory in Italy is anyone else seeing it with other brands? Kennetrek/Zamberlan?
Am I just imagining this?

I can't speak to the quality, but I did just get a pair for my wife and I have noticed that their boots seem like they are always on sale. And not a normal sale, but like 40% off. Also, their shelves are much more bare than they used to be in the Bozeman store. Maybe they have been clearing out for new styles, maybe they are struggling? Not sure, but it is a bit weird.

They do have a new edition of mission released this summer. I found a good deal on some last summer. I bought 6 Different pairs. They all seem to be working good for me. I have been running the higher end danners before. The danners worked ok. They don't have the rigid shank like the schnees though and wore out quickly. I will say it's been a major step up from the danners. Can't comment on if they are any better or worse than previous years.

They do have a new edition of mission released this summer. I found a good deal on some last summer. I bought 6 Different pairs. They all seem to be working good for me. I have been running the higher end danners before. The danners worked ok. They don't have the rigid shank like the schnees though and wore out quickly. I will say it's been a major step up from the danners. Can't comment on if they are any better or worse than previous years.
Which Danners had you used before?

I have only owned their pac boots, Elkhunters, Packers, etc. The quality was going downhill for me about 15 years ago. Thinner leather, poor quality rubber!

I'll start with stating that I have loved my last 5 pairs of Schnees boots (Timberlines and Beartooths) and their customer service is top shelf...but every pair I get is a little less quality than the pair before. My last two pairs of Timberlines were anything but waterproof, they leaked significantly. The latest replacement pair the leather and textiles just feel cheap, for an expensive pair of boots it's pretty disappointing. Since I believe a lot of these boots are made in the same factory in Italy is anyone else seeing it with other brands? Kennetrek/Zamberlan?
Am I just imagining this?
Unfortunately, I have had the same experience. It’s not like I just started with them either. I have had several different pairs of boots since the original owner Steve Schnee started the company and first started making boots. I have moved on to Zamberlan and haven’t looked back since. I still have the original Elk Hunter that I bought from Steve back in the day. Resoled twice now and still going. I had to have a redo by them on one resole because of poor quality rubber and leaking. The new version is no where near the same in quality and construction as my son has a pair that fell apart in one season. I hope they turn it around.

It’s not all doom and gloom for Schnees. I bought a sale pair of Beartooths this spring and have put at least 50+ miles on them. They seem super robust, just as well built as any other boot I’ve owned, and have passed the wet grass and creek crossing tests with flying colors. Most comfortable pair of boots I’ve ever owned.

I have frequently had trouble with their waterproofness. But I’ve never had trouble with durability, and I can’t stop myself from coming back because they just fit me so dang well.

Which Danners had you used before?
I have had the elk hunters, quarry, pronghorn, vitals and a couple of pairs of older boots I don’t remember. I thought i loved the elk hunters till I started running the Schnees bear tooth. No comparison. The beartooths are a lot more rigid shank that helps while side hilling.

I have had the elk hunters, quarry, pronghorn, vitals and a couple of pairs of older boots I don’t remember. I thought i loved the elk hunters till I started running the Schnees bear tooth. No comparison. The beartooths are a lot more rigid shank that helps while side hilling.
Good info. The Pronghorns stink since they sent them to China. I’ve wanted to try the Elk Hunters, and Quarrys. I love my Super Rainforests, and Canadians although I haven’t put ny Canadians through much wear yet.

From what I can tell, the Elk Hunters aren’t really a mountain boot. Anything with the Bob outsole is pretty flexible. The flexibility is part of what helps the tread clean itself. When I bought my third pair of Super Rainforests I called and asked what boots would be stiffer and they only had one that was made in USA and it was lacking some features I was looking for. A good stiff boot is definitely missing from the Danner lineup.

I'm on my 3rd season of Beartooth's and have been very pleased, but they are the only Schnee's I have purchased. I also got them on a 20% sale I believe.

I sure hope not since my Beartooth 0g order just shipped. LOL. But I imagine they are still much better than my old worn down Rocky's and my Cabela's Zip Up boots I have forced myself to keep using for years despite hating myself every season for doing so.

I sure hope not since my Beartooth 0g order just shipped. LOL. But I imagine they are still much better than my old worn down Rocky's and my Cabela's Zip Up boots I have forced myself to keep using for years despite hating myself every season for doing so.
How did these boots work out for you? Looking at switching to Schnees from Crispi. My Crispi's failed miserably this fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back