Breaking Boots In: What Does It Mean?

Nameless Range

This is not a thread about boot brands, and it is true that there have been threads on HuntTalk already about breaking boots in, but I am fairly ignorant on the subject and have some questions.

A couple weeks ago, my dad purchased a pair of Alico Mountaineering Boots. It turned out they were too small for him, but he knew I was in the market for a pair of boots and gave them to me as he has slightly larger feet than me (I wear 11). I don't know much about this brand of boot, but the reviews I read online were positive, and I can tell you they are a stout and solid boot.

Anyway, I took them for a hike last Thursday. I was about 3 miles in when I began to feel the burn of blister development, specifically on the back of my heel. I turned back to the truck immediately, and by the time I had put 6 or so miles on them, just above my heel on the right foot I was raw as hell. It crippled me up for a day, and I had fire training all day Saturday. By the time I took my fire boots off Saturday evening my heel was soaked in blood.

Some statements and then questions:

-The boots fit well in terms of toe box, width, etc. On level ground they are comfortable but on inclines I get heel slippage that rubs terribly on my right foot.
-I wore double socks
-I purchased some insoles to lift my heel a bit on Sunday, and will try them for round two once the scab falls off
-These boots are Perwanger Leather, and you are not supposed to treat them with oil-based treatments.
-As they are right now(new), these boots are very stiff

-Is heel slippage a sign of a boot that has not been broken in? I have never had to break in a pair of boots and I have never dealt with blisters on any pair of boots I have tried except a pair of Kenetreks years ago. What does "breaking in" a boot mean?
-Outside of proper lacing, insoles, and double socks, are there any other recommendations to deal with heel slippage?
-Is it strange that I am only having this problem on one of my feet? I cannot identify any physical differences between the left and right boot.
-Are these just not that great of boots or is it possible they are just incompatible with my feet?
-Is heel slippage something that "breaking a pair of boots in" eventually alleviates? Is there hope for these boots?

Any advice is appreciated.

boots.jpeg

Last edited:
From someone who is super susceptible to heel blisters, some of that depends on the boots. I tend to get blisters much more often on my right heel than my left, fwiw.

I’ve had some that gave me blisters early on but eventually broke in. I’ve had some that only gave me blisters if I laced them too tight (seemed counterintuitive to me). Had a pair years ago that gave me blisters every time I wore them, for years (before I knew any better).

With stiff boots, I’d definitely think you’ll have a break-in period. Your insole might help. I’d give them more miles in flat-ish ground before I chucked them. I think my Kennetreks said 50 miles was the break in? I had a few hot spots with those the first couple times, but now they’re like butter.

Can't answer full question, but:

Breaking in for me begins with wearing around the house and short walks before weight or distance.

I don't like heel slippage but I have trouble finding a boot that doesn't slip in the heel

Last edited:
They look like some Meindel Glockners I had in the day. Similar hinge & leather.
I thought I had them broken in after a couple months. A couple short backpack trips too.
Hiked the PCT through OR & half way thru I got terrible blisters on both heals hiking thru the lava dust. Wore sneakers with heals cut out for a week then wore the boots the rest of the trip with moleskin over my heals.
I finally had to throw out the boots 10 yrs later, actually I gave them to a guy who needed them. Put 2 soles on them & many miles
I would put moleskin on & wear on short trips with the full socks you plan on wearing. Tighten ankles to try & stop slippage.

My background with breaking in boots is more from skiing than from hiking or hunting, i.e. I spent a ton of time in ski boots growing up and just applied that methodology to boots.

Typically when I purchase a hunting boot, a boot I'm going to be taking off trail and doing a lot of side hill-ing in, I go about a size smaller than my sneaker size. I want my toe pressed up on the front of the boot and my heel locked into the heel cup. Give this fit the "break in" period is the time it takes for either the boot to slightly expand to accommodate areas where my foot is slightly larger in volume than the boot and/or for my foot to develop calluses in areas where my foot is slightly smaller in volume than the boot and rubs. In theory if a boot was to fit the volume of your foot perfectly, i.e. if you had a custom boot made off of a cast of your foot there should be 0 break in period.

Some peoples feet just seem to be closer to the average with certain types of boots, which is why some brands fit some people out of the box better than others. I can wear a size 9 Schnees out of the box, with no problems... but I will never be able to wear a lowa. In my experience the one area you can't fix is the heel cup. If you are getting slippage there you need a different boot.

The one caveat here is being a tenderfoot, i.e. someone who never wear's boots... some guy riding a desk in the city that never hikes is going to have to break in their feet no matter what boot they get. Obviously your aren't that guy so I would guess these boots aren't a good fit for your foot, the insoles might work if they help lock in your heel, you can also tape your heel... although that is kinda a pain to have to do every time you go out.

Try some different lacing methods to change the heel lock. This may help. If it doesn’t, the boots aren’t going to work for you.

When I initially wear a brand new pair, I leave them slightly loose. As they conform to my feet from wear (what breaking in really is) I’ll snug them up to find the sweet spot. Too loose or too tight equals hot spots after a hard day of chukar hunting.

What you are describing just sounds like you are dealing with a stiff boot. Sometimes you can "break them in" and sometimes you end up breaking your feet in. As mentioned it is fairly difficult to get a very stiff soled boot out of the box that doesn't have a little heal slippage when you are climbing. If you are going to be doing a lot of steep climbing off trail or side hilling this is especially noticeable. About the worst is steep uphill off trail in warm weather when your feet get wet with sweat.

I had that problem when I first bought some used Kennetreks but now I don't have any issues with them at all. I still have the issue sometimes with my Meindl Denali's, they have a super stiff sole. One thing that does help is different lacing methods and making sure they are very tight. There are a few websites that have some alternative lacing methods.

I may qualify as one of those tenderfoot guys that wllm1313 is referring too. I don't wear boots as often as I would like.

I have a pair of the Kuiu Scarpa boots that I bought used and tried on and decided they were too small. I might have to try them on a hike to see if they would work for extreme terrain, that's really what they were designed for, their sole is so stiff it may as well be 1/4" steel plate.

I am a firm believer in a proper sock/ sock combination. I wear a silk sock liner and REI expedition sock. I also removed the factory insole and went with superfeet orange insole. When I went thru the break in process with my Kenetrek's I walked around town 2-3 miles a day, around 35+ miles they felt broke in. I also treat my boots before a hunt and after every trip.

hiking miles in a 3/4 shank isn't for every foot. I doubt there's a 3/4 shank on this planet that I would want to put +5 miles on. I only use them for going vertical usually with crampons. To get there I have used approach shoes. Though I will caveat that I don't own 3/4 shanks anymore, I dropped down to 1/2 shank and have found I can do plenty of miles a day in them.

The more leather in the construction and the thicker the leather, the longer the break in period. Plan for 100 miles of break in on the upper end. No new boot will accompany me on a trip more than a few miles. Even then, I bring some duct tape, moleskin, and adjust laces as necessary as I go. Most break in is wearing around the house/yard, or a short walk with the dog. Pay close attention to hot spots, slips, and pain, and never power through it. A good pair of boots, once broken in, can last 1500 miles. Sometimes there is no amount of finagling socks, insoles, laces, etc., and the boot is just not going to work. This usually has to do with boot length - if it's too short or too long, no amount of break in will help. I shoot for 1/4" of space on the front of the boot new, which may expand to 1/2" as the leather stretches. If your toe touches the end of the boot from the start, your toenails can fall off. Heal cup is the devil of any good break in. My last pair of boots I could not get it to gel for anything - after 150 miles of break in and still not working I tore the boot apart and removed the heel cup - the boots were perfect for 6 more years after that until they fell apart from use. I also regularly work in neatsfoot oil to the leather to soften it up through the life of the boot.

Back