New boot options?

TM0218

As the title says I’m looking for some new boot options. I’m a flat lander in Florida and my hike in’s are usually 1 mile or so. That being said I’d like the boots to have enough support to withstand some mountain hiking every once in a while. I like non-insulated, leather, and I’m hoping to have a price point <$200. Any suggestions??? Thanks!

I’m not sure you’ll find full leather uppers at the price point. I run Lowas and like them a lot. Maybe check camofire and look for a deal.

Hahaha what’s the phrase? Champagne taste on a beer budget?

The Lowas look real nice, and so do the Meindls

I will throw another 4 or 5 votes for the Meindls. I currently have 4 pair of Menidls. A pair of black duty boots I wear in my shop that are going on 10 years old and I was just telling my wife I need to replace them. Two pair of the Cabelas, one "Hiker" 9 inch and one 11 inch, both are 10 years old and have hundreds upon hundreds of miles on them. And a newer (3 years) pair of the Alaskans with the full rubber rand. Bombproof boots. I look at the $$ by how long they last. If they last 5 years that is 50-60 a year to keep your feet and ankles in great boots. That is cheap insurance when you are 5 miles deep into the wilderness, coming down the mountain fully loaded after dark and you roll your ankle on a rock and the boot basically keeps you from snapping an ankle or tearing something.

I'm not sure what you'll find for less than $200 that are worthy...you might be able to find some clearance boots. Adding another $100 opens you up to quite a few...you'd have to do a million searches at that price point because there are so many options.

I know guys that rant and rave about their Danner boots (which can be had for around $200) but in my experience they are absolute garbage but I tend to put a lot of miles on my boots from work.

On that budget I’d invest in a nice pair of sneakers. I wear Brooks and they are fantastic. I also have a pair of Cabellas silent stalk boots for hiking in dry conditions. They are light and require no break in, but not great for carrying heavy loads or rock scrambling.

If you spend $400 on full leather boots you may find that they last over twice as long as your $200 pair.

Yeah unfortunately I may have to up my budget. But we’ll see you guys have given me some good options to look for, thanks!

If Asolo works for you, Sierra Trading Post often has some great deals.
I have a pair of Asolo that I got from Sierra. Good boots overall. Saved my butt a couple times by protecting my ankle, but mine are not well insulated and my feet got pretty cold in WY this year with them.

I used the keen targhee mids for several years. They were very comfortable but I would only get a season out of each pair. I used them for spring and early fall hunts in Iowa plus 2-3 weeks elk hunting in September. This year I decided to go with Lowa Renegades for a little bit more money (240$, but I did see them for less then 200 on clearance, just not in the size or color I wanted) I’m hoping by spending a bit more I can get an extra year or 2 out of them.

In that price range, another vote for asolo. I had a pair for about 12 years, served me well. If you could jump up to a higher end boot I think you will be pleased. About another $150 you can get a much better boot. Kenetreks can be found on sale right now. I think I saw some on sale at midway.

@TM0218

If interested, I purchased these Asolo's from the REI garage sale in size 9.5 wide. They were marked as 'not worn outside' and looked brand new. The length and width felt great in the store, but after a few hikes (<30 miles) I realized they were too short, but the width was great (these boots supposedly run narrow, hence my interest in the wider version). I am usually a size 10 regular width. I will make you a deal if interested and the size is right.

I wear Danner boots and love them. I have nerve damage and neuropathy in my left foot and it really helps to keep my left foot supported. I buy for functionality and support rather than fashion or brand name and Danner is right in the vicinity where I get a good boot without overpaying.

The last pair of Danners I had survived 7 4 day trips in the Beartooths before one sole completely separated on me when I was 10 miles in. I know their US made boots are better quality, but I haven't tried them. I wear Schnee's now.

I've seen some great deals on Salomon, Scarpa, Asolo, and La Sportiva in that price range or for a little more.

What size are you? I've got a pair of Scarpa Kinesis GTX size 11.5 that are just a bit big for me that I'd make you a deal on!

The last pair of Danners I had survived 7 4 day trips in the Beartooths before one sole completely separated on me when I was 10 miles in. I know their US made boots are better quality, but I haven't tried them. I wear Schnee's now.

I've seen some great deals on Salomon, Scarpa, Asolo, and La Sportiva in that price range or for a little more.
How do you like those schnees? What model if uou dont mind me asking? I been looking at a set of the misson v2s. I am really hard on boots and crispis have failed! Little better quality in zamberlains but still not overly impressed, dont know anyone who wears the schnees but look like solid boots.

How do you like those schnees? What model if uou dont mind me asking? I been looking at a set of the misson v2s. I am really hard on boots and crispis have failed! Little better quality in zamberlains but still not overly impressed, dont know anyone who wears the schnees but look like solid boots.
I’ve had the Beartooths for a year and a half and the Timberlines for a year. I wore the Timberlines daily for work. They’re great boots if they fit you well, they’ve held up better than my previous Kenetreks.

I know guys that rant and rave about their Danner boots (which can be had for around $200) but in my experience they are absolute garbage but I tend to put a lot of miles on my boots from work.
Think it also depends on the type of Danner. If I was on a budget, I could see buying a pair in their lines that are made in America, but their outsourced (made in China) lines are hot garbage.

I recently made the jump from Vasque and Danner to a pair of Kenetrek ME and they’re the most comfortable and well-built footwear (sneakers, dress shoes, boots) I’ve ever owned. They’re an investment, but so far they appear to be worth every penny.

Last edited:
I’ve got an old pair of Danner Pronghorns that have held up wonderfully. I also like rubber boots and wear Lacrosse. Both Irish Setter and Redwing make good boots as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back