MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New binocular advice.

jerm8352

Hello,

I am looking at using my Christmas money to buy new binoculars. It was very clear this year that the ones I was using are just not going to cut it for elk hunting. I do not have the money for top of the line ones, but I was looking at spending around $500. I am looking at the Nikon Monarch 7 10 x 42 binoculars right now. Any one have any insight on these or have any other suggestions? I hunt elk, deer, and antelope in Southeastern Wyoming both in the sagebrush and up in the forest if that changes anything.

Thanks for any help. I know you guys are experts on here.

Jeremy

I've got a pair of these and the are good glass for the money as you can find them on sale or get some sort of store rebate to get the price closer to $400. I also have Swarovski SLC'S in 8x30. I still prefer my swaros, but the Monarch 7 and warranty with them make them a good deal in that price range.

You might find some used Cabela's Euro 10X42's in that price range. Cabela's has them on sale right now for $699. More than you want to spend, but that is a great price on some really good glass.

Unless you're spending closer to $1K, I wouldn't personally invest more than the $100-$150 for 6x or 8x Leupoold Yosemite's. I had some mid range Minox's for a while, looked through a lot of $300-$600 glass, and I'd take the Yo's over most all of them. I hunt with alpha glass now, but I'd probably spend mid-range glass money elsewhere. Just my opinion, hope you find something you like.

I would rec. Vortex Viper HD's. I own a pair of these and they are amazing for the $. They run $590 and if you can get them with a coupon from cabelas they run about $500. By far the best optic for the $$$

Predatoroptics.com. It's run by a good guy that will take great care of you.

The Leupold McKinleys are a possibility in your price range. I have a coupon code that will get you there, go to predator optics on facebook and like the page and you will see the coupon code for that item.

Someone give me a hd viper/Theron/zen ray/lupe head to head opinion/ranking

..where?

Right now there is nothing in the Theron brand in stock to compare. New models are in the making but taking longer than anticipated. The ED-APO were fantastic for the price and a lot of people are a bit miffed they are discontinued. Head to head comparisons are hard because of the different strong points. The Theron were great in resolution and clarity to the edge and flat field but also had a narrower field of view. Some other brands mentioned have a wide FOV but not very flat and usually lack the edge clarity. I tell people many of the models are so close that it is hard to tell what is better but you need to decide if you like flat field, edge clarity, or wide FOV. I don't think you will get all of them in one model. Ergonomics vary as well.
For me, I don't like seeing any rolling ball effect or real soft edges when panning side to side on hillsides so the binos that are over 400ft (8X) are usually not for me. Some guys are the opposite and feel "tunnel vision" if they do not have a big FOV.

I'm a Leopold fan buy I can't see myself buying any of their low end binoculars again. You get what you pay for. Even the McKinley don't feel that great to me, glass is good but they just don't fit me. I agree with the rest on vortex brand, I haven't been able to put my hands on some Theron yet. I disagree with the mountaineer, there is a difference in the $300-$600 glass but I would say more so in the actual materials and functionality of the binoculars. My guess, You won't be disappointed in either a pair of vipers or McKinleys.

For what it's worth, I have the Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and am very impressed with them, I've used several of the Vortex binos, rifle scopes and my son has one of their spotters - all very good quality optics. I'd recommend giving the Vortex binos a close look. At the same time I've bought from Predator Optics (schmalts) before and it was a great experience, if you buy from him I'm sure you'll be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back