Caribou Gear

New big boomer build.

midwesthunter

I just finished putting together my new 375 RUM. Blueprinted Rem 700 action, HS Precision stock, bedded the action. Scope base screws opened up to 8-40. Leopold mark 4 one-piece base which I skim bedded to action. Vortex pro rings (low), lapped and mounted a vortex diamondback 4-12x40 w/ BDC reticle. 26" Wilson Arms barrel that ragged holes chambered and cerakoted grey. I also added a Beast II 5 port muzzle break, good news barrel was chambered and cerakoted ahead of schedule, bad news, it was before muzzle break came in. Running a trigger tech trigger for the first time, not sure if I like the straight trigger yet, trigger time will tell.

Only tips the scale at around 9lb

Getting ready to start load development, starting with some 300-grain accubonds and 300-grain badland precision bulldozer 2's.

I'll swap scope out down the road, hoping to have a load ready before I leave for POW on the 21st of this month.

300 grain accused next to a 150 grain 270 and 55 grain 223

20210506_085431.jpg20210506_175107.jpg20210506_174811.jpg

That powder is worth more then that scope!

Would like to know what those 300gr loads do to the shoulder "without" that break?

Nice build, everyone needs to play with a super magnum at least once in their lives.
I have another that's lighter but shoots 260's. I am pulling that barrel. I spun a take-off on it but the action was an 8mm rem mag so it's a single feed. It's got some ass behind it, to say the least. Added a small 3 port break and it's manageable, for me anyway.

butch.gif

Thinking there's not much you couldn't hunt with that.

Looking forward to the range reports.

What made you decide to use H4350 for it? Seems to be a bit faster than what a lot of the big mag guys run.

What made you decide to use H4350 for it? Seems to be a bit faster than what a lot of the big mag guys run.
Now I am no chemical engineer or expert, but I believe the capable of using the faster powders to push heavier bullets is more directly related to the volume and bore diameter? in my other 375 Rum I was running Reloader 19 with a hot load and faster then average barrel, 260 accubonds and 270 tsx were pushing around the 3200 fps range, but thats a 102.3 pour for the tsx and a 103.5 for the 260's.

So I will see how H4350 does, velocity will be a little slower then R19, but I should be able to use about 10% less powder and more temp stable. And at the powder volume that will get me about 10 more reloads out of a pound of powder, not that this will be a high volume shooter. I will find a load, put it in safe, get it out if going to hunt and shoot to verify zero, go shoot something hopefully.

375 RUM isn’t nearly as overbore as, say, a 7mm RUM, so something in the range of H4350 - H1000 is ideal. Retumbo, etc would be too slow and you wouldn’t be able to get enough powder in the case to reach max velocity, among other issues.

Great looking rifle.

I built my .375 RUM in 2005 for a Zimbabwe Buffalo hunt (my avatar pic). I used it on two African hunts, one with 300 grain Barnes TSX bullets, the other with 270 grain TSXs. Mine is a Rem 700 SS with a 26" barrel plus a KDF brake that makes the total barrel length 27 3/4". I also put a Beretta mechanical recoil reducer in the stock.

The first time I shot it (without the brake and reducer) I couldn't get through all of the sight in loads because of the recoil. I've since worked up 1" 3-shot loads for it with 300 grain TSX and Partition bullets and 270 grain TSX bullets. On my second African hunt with it I comfortably shot several animals with it from prone positions.

I loaded my 270 grain TSX bullets with IMR 4350 powder, so today I'm going to use that powder to start working up a load for it with 281 grain Hammer bullets for an upcoming Alaskan Brown bear and Moose hunt.

Great looking rifle.

I built my .375 RUM in 2005 for a Zimbabwe Buffalo hunt (my avatar pic). I used it on two African hunts, one with 300 grain Barnes TSX bullets, the other with 270 grain TSXs. Mine is a Rem 700 SS with a 26" barrel plus a KDF brake that makes the total barrel length 27 3/4". I also put a Beretta mechanical recoil reducer in the stock.

The first time I shot it (without the brake and reducer) I couldn't get through all of the sight in loads because of the recoil. I've since worked up 1" 3-shot loads for it with 300 grain TSX and Partition bullets and 270 grain TSX bullets. On my second African hunt with it I comfortably shot several animals with it from prone positions.

I loaded my 270 grain TSX bullets with IMR 4350 powder, so today I'm going to use that powder to start working up a load for it with 281 grain Hammer bullets for an upcoming Alaskan Brown bear and Moose hunt.
Nice, I haven't used the hammers but have had heard nothing but good things, I have had great past success with the bulldozers, looking forward to the revised versions. Should pick up some speed as well as it mushrooms more.

I doubt I will ever recover a bullet out of this rig.

Nice, I haven't used the hammers but have had heard nothing but good things, I have had great past success with the bulldozers, looking forward to the revised versions. Should pick up some speed as well as it mushrooms more.

I doubt I will ever recover a bullet out of this rig.
Like I posted earlier, I've only used my .375 RUM on two African hunts. The first hunt I shot 5 animals with Barnes 300 grain TSX bullets. We only recovered one bullet, from the off shoulder of my buffalo, and it was a perfect mushroom.
A3kWl03m.jpg

On the other hunt I shot 13 animals with 270 grain TSX bullets. We only recovered 2 bullets, both from a Kudu. I also shot a Cape Eland on that hunt, but I don't remember if the bullet passed through him or that we didn't look for it.
WDZuLIfm.jpg

Last edited:
Loaded up 6 rounds first three I shot one at a time and cleaned barrel between shots. Then couple days later sent the other three down range. Not bad for 4th-6th shots and first guess at powder load. Those badland bulldozers are sleek and shoot. Cleaned barrel real good, loaded up six more and will zero and verify drop at 300 tomorrow. I think this will work for now. 300 grain bulldozer 2 next to 300 accubond.

20210512_203658.jpg20210510_174218.jpg

Just keep the powder volume at or above 85% case fill.
Go lower & some screwy detonation can possibly occur.

Nice build, with a caliber not too many shoot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back