Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Never thought it would be me!

Thank you for telling this story. Gets a man thinking for sure.
I don't hunt out of trees anymore, but when I was younger, I was 'too safe' to need one of those safety harnesses.
Gives me goose bumps thinking about how many years I went without and what coulda happened.
Praying for speedy recovery.

We have all said it will only take a second and than that happens. Make sure to do what doc says and pray for a fast recovery.

Glad your on your way to recovering and can spend time with your granddaughter for many more yrs
Thanks for sharing we all need to keep this in mind

Im glad you are recovering. Last sunday i did a dumbass move also. Ive been using a safety harness in the stand for years until last sunday. I went out for the first sit for the season and an hour and a half in I realized that I didnt even have my harness with me. Thankfully nothing dramatic happened. Hopefully you have a full recovery soon.

Ouch! Best of luck recovering!

I’ve had two relatives fall out of tree stands. Both had serious damage but nothing like yours!

Yes I agree…the first question they asked my wife was how big I was and how far in the woods I was.
Pure laziness on their part. They risked your health, possibly life, because they didn't want to find a way to carry you out of the woods. They didn't even put the damn C-collar on until after the ambulance ride. That is 100% negligent.

Those two questions are 100% necessary to bringing the right help & equipment to safely extract the patient. So they have absolutely no excuse.

I'm not involved at all, but I'm absolutely livid reading this.

Pure laziness on their part. They risked your health, possibly life, because they didn't want to find a way to carry you out of the woods. They didn't even put the damn C-collar on until after the ambulance ride. That is 100% negligent.

Those two questions are 100% necessary to bringing the right help & equipment to safely extract the patient. So they have absolutely no excuse.

I'm not involved at all, but I'm absolutely livid reading this.
I appreciate your anger, my daughter was beside herself with anger herself being an RN and telling them they were going to paralyze me “paramedic said baby we got this” he’s lucky I had a broke back at that point. I still struggle to explain wtf they were thinking! Only thing I can say was they were all young and lazy! One guy I will give a break he was being trained by this guy, which is sad!

Thanks for sharing your story. It's a good reminder of safety and how quick accidents can happen. I'm glad you were able to get to the hospital and are on the road to healing now. Best wishes for a full recovery.

Sorry, I can't read that huge azz non formatted "paragraph"....did it state were were or were not wearing a safety strap?

Sorry, I can't read that huge azz non formatted "paragraph"....did it state were were or were not wearing a safety strap?
I was not and sorry for the grammar issues or whatever. The huge 19” cut down my spine and 52 staples has me not giving a damn about paragraph structure.
I’ll make it simple.
Quick decision to move stand.
Decision was bad because I fell.
Two weeks in hospital and spine surgery with 3 rods and 10 screws and fused vertebrae.
Never move or hang stand without safety equipment!
Please be safe out there.

Wow. Any EMTs on here? I don't like to try to tell professionals their business but it sure seems weird they wouldn't try to carry you out. Is that standard procedure for difficult terrain?
Wow, so sorry this happened. Not to stick my nose where it doesnt belong, but from someome who has been in emergency medicine for over 20 years, this is not how situations like this are handled. I understand It would be hard for 3 guys to pack you out on a just backboard , as well as risky, but there are a whole host of devices out there specifically for situations like this. Difficult terrain doesnt allow for disregard of spinal injury protocol. I pray for a full recovery sir.

Wow, so sorry this happened. Not to stick my nose where it doesnt belong, but from someome who has been in emergency medicine for over 20 years, this is not how situations like this are handled. I understand It would be hard for 3 guys to pack you out on a just backboard , as well as risky, but there are a whole host of devices out there specifically for situations like this. Difficult terrain doesnt allow for disregard of spinal injury protocol. I pray for a full recovery sir.
There was extra help…my son in law was there who is more than able to help, also one phone call after seeing where I was and the way they had to get me out would have had 20 firefighter rescue folks there in minutes. They had options!
The main thing I want everyone to take from this is life can change so fast with a quick split second decision. Just be safe and use safety equipment. If you don’t have it and want to move a stand then go get some or wait. Trust me…it can change your life.

What part of MS are you from? I’m originally from Morton. We always had to go to Jackson for healthcare.

I only use chain and chain binders anymore. Straps are too susceptable to UV rays and squirrels. Straps get relegated to securing loads in the truck.

Back