Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Never Elk Hunted

Crossbowguy

I have never elk hunted and have always wanted to. I don't know anything about it other than what I've seen on TV. I don't know what state to go. I don't know if I want to do a do it yourself hunt or go with an outfitters. I do know I'm on a limited budget, I know that I would have to hunt with either x-bow,muzzleloader, or rifle. Any advice I get will be greatly appreciated!!!

Crossbowguy

Pick a state, pick a weapon, get a tag and do it!! Commit to something now (if you want to go this season) and spend the summer learning all you can about it. If you can afford an outfitter that would be a great way to learn from professionals, but it's not necessary to be successful. Be realistic about your expectations as well. It doesn't really matter what state - you'll pretty much have to go OTC or leftover license at this point. Colorado and Idaho come to mind as good OTC states. One of the biggest things is simply committing your time, money and energy to actually doing it.

Elk hunting is like meth. If you don't want to get addicted not even once, not even once.

Im not the expert on meth....or any drug for that matter. But i did just shell out way more than I thought I ever would have for the privledge to buy a unit wide landowner tag.

I have a problem...just not ready to do anything about it

Elk hunting is like meth.

Ya, I'm starting to think that , when I first started hunting again in 2013 , in 2013, 2014,and 15 , it was deer ,Mules and Blacktails, I dreamt about even though in 2015 I took my 1st elk, had a cow tag for 2016 it's now summer 2017 and somewhere between Nov of 2016 to now , even though I tagged on the biggest deer in my life , Elk Fever has now taken it's firm grip on my mind and emotions, I'm off work in 40 min , racing home , eat a sandwich then head for the mountains to scout and glass and recon terrain till dark for my elk hunt this Nov,and when I'm not out in the field I'm on satellite, looking for hidden clearcuts in my Area I haven't found yet planning my next outing, deer are now somewhere in my rear view mirror, I'm a junkie as of now and I'm ok with that !!! Ha ha ha ha , looking forward to the chance to see some Roosevelts tonight :hump:

Colorado offers the best opportunity for out of state hunters. You can get OTC tags. Outfitters are expensive but you don't want to try on your the first time alone. Oregon where I live and it is OK and you can get OTC spike only tags. There are some good areas eastside you can go to with not too many people. Elk hunting in my opinion is the greatest hunt you can do.

Biggest mistake newbies make, is not being physically ready.

Start buying preference points in Wy for elk and at least deer also, but antelope would be a good idea if you think you might want to hunt them.
You won't regret the investment. Yes it sounds like a long time to wait for a hunt, but two or three years to get an elk tag in Wy is worth it.
In my opinion Wyoming has the best balance of quality bulls and numbers of bulls in the West.
An elk hunt on a budget is a real option in Wy also, and your money is best spent waiting to draw a quality tag in a good area.
Over the counter hunts in Colorado are popular, but most never even see a legal bull, much less a trophy.
Patience is usually rewarded with elk hunts.

Hope this makes sense to you. Good luck and post here again after you got a couple points in Wy.

Thank you for all the helpful advice and it gives me a place to start! I've heard it is quite addicting and know a few guys that have gone out west for hunts. The stories they come back with is what makes me want to go out and see it for myself!!!! I tried like crazy in the Air Force to get stationed out there, but ended up in Panama and Dover DE, I still work for the gov't but having family now keeps me tied up in the northeast. I'm going to go check out the success page from last year and start drooling!!!! Thanks again all!

I have never used an outfitter or guide. Never had anyone take me elk hunting. I am a flatlander from IN, and back in 2003 decided I wanted to archery elk hunt. I read everything about elk I could, watched videos, called wildlife agencies out West and taught myself everything I could about backpack hunting. Bought an over the counter archery tag go CO and went on my first elk hunt. I would like to say I harvested an elk my first time out but I didn't. I gained something more though, a love for western mtn. Hunting, confidence in going to unknown territory, and first hand knowledge of elk behavior. I have since been on numerous DIY western hunts some successful harvests some not, but always learn something new and become a better hunter each time. If you look at your trip as a learning adventure with packing out meat as just a bonus then you will have a great time, but if you focus on having to harvest an elk be prepared for disappointment.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back