Nevada's New Elk Tag Regulation

backcountry_sassn

The Nevada hunt application book was just sent and I noticed a big change in the elk hunting regulations.

For the last several years they have allowed applicants to apply for Any Bull, Spike Only, Depredation Bull, Antlerless Elk, and Depredation Antlerless Elk but only allowed you to draw one Bull elk Tag AND one Antlerless Elk tag. So depending on the number each application was given depended on the tag you go. So if you Spike Elk application is drawn before your Any Bull application, then your Any Bull application would be pulled (its a bit more complicated then that, but that's it in simple terms). Same would happen with the antlerless tag.

Now you are only allowed 1 elk tag. So if any of your Antlerless applications are drawn before a Bull application, then you are given the Antlerless tag and your Bull applications are pulled.

So if you have high odds at an Any Bull tag, then you might want to only buy a point for Antlerless Elk or you might miss out. If you don't know your odds, then I highly suggest you get a subscription to GoHunt (of course promo code RANDY gets you $50 credit for the GoHunt gear shop). I have an 89% chance at the archery Any Bull tag I've been wanting so I definitly wont be applying for any other elk tags.

I'm sure there are a lot of hunters who won't be happy with this, but it's a good sign. They changed it several years ago to allow for hunters to get both a bull and antlerless tag in the same season, and also allowed for hunters to opt in for a reduced antlerless elk tag with their deer tag in select units to reduce cow elk numbers to population objectives. When I noticed this, I contacted a biologist friend and he said they are at the population objective in those areas. Sure NDOW could have continued to issue those tags for the revenue, but they didn't. I for one like to see that science trumps money.

It seems like they could conduct the bull draw first so folks could still put in for both draws without worrying about losing out on a chance at a bull tag.

I actually like this change. It will probably cut down on the number of apps from people who apply for everything. Now they'll have to choose between ONE of those elk hunts or take their chances of drawing an elk tag that was not the number 1 priority. I should make it a little easier to draw my cow elk tag. ;)

It seems like they could conduct the bull draw first so folks could still put in for both draws without worrying about losing out on a chance at a bull tag.
They're not going to conduct 2 drawings. You don't get to have it both ways.

I actually like this change. It will probably cut down on the number of apps from people who apply for everything. Now they'll have to choose between ONE of those elk hunts or take their chances of drawing an elk tag that was not the number 1 priority. I should make it a little easier to draw my cow elk tag. ;)

I agree. Plus I'm sure this year there will be a number of people who will apply for all and get a cow tag instead of a bull tag making it easier for people apply for bull. But yes, after this season, cow tags will become a lot easier to draw. Kind of like what they do with Rams and Ewes. If they allowed for us to have both tags in a season then those of use who want ewe tags would never draw.

Utah draws deer before elk then pronghorn and only then sheep/goat/bison. You get one at most of those. Would like to see Utah draw sheep/goat/bison first. Why do F&G create an order sequence that bass ackwards?

Utah draws deer before elk then pronghorn and only then sheep/goat/bison. You get one at most of those. Would like to see Utah draw sheep/goat/bison first. Why do F&G create an order sequence that bass ackwards?
But in Utah you still have a chance at all of them. Doesn’t matter the order they do the draw, your odds are the same. It’s not like since you draw a deer tag it lessens your chance at an elk tag or pronghorn tag.

But in Utah you still have a chance at all of them. Doesn’t matter the order they do the draw, your odds are the same. It’s not like since you draw a deer tag it lessens your chance at an elk tag or pronghorn tag.
if you draw a LE deer tag you're kicked out of the rest of the draws

This ^ and I agree with the change,GREED is what got the change in the regulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back