Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Nevada shed hunting rules

jimd

I am totally confused on the new regulations here in Nevada. The new rules were put into effect to prohibit picking up sheds from 1 Jan. to 15 April. so we won't disturb game animals during their breeding seasons and birthing seasons. The part that I really don't understand is how the idiots think this is going to stop any disruptions on the game animals as I am allowed to be in the field hunting coyotes,bobcats,mt.lions and other game during this closed period. I would say that using my E-caller during this time just might disturb some animals. I guess that I am just stupid and don't understand how wildlife live.

Last edited:
I guess that I am just stupid and don't understand how wildlife live.
Well you said it first.... :)

These type of rules are not intended to keep from disturbing animals during their breeding and birthing seasons. They are intended to lesson disturbance during the early spring when fat reserves are at their lowest. The extra stress of shed hunters spooking them repeatedly can be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back if a late season storm hits unexpectedly.

It is pretty standard in many states to restrict activities on winter range.

closure_sign.jpg

121311_WINTER_RANGE_t670.jpg

I can see the closing of critical areas but here in Nevada they voted for the new rules but the entire state is still open for all other activities except for the normal rules for wilderness areas. This means I can take my 4x4 and go out on blm and usfs land.

http://blog.schnees.com/2013/04/05/the-drop/

I think all Western states would do well to follow suit.

As you can see, its easy to find examples of people intentionally harassing game on winter range to get them to shed antlers. This is not restricted to people on foot, as I've heard of horseback and vehicles used to achieve the same effect. Enough of this and you can see why they have to shut down the winter ranges and institute shed hunting regulations.

This time of year, the elk and deer are at their minimum physical condition, running them all over only makes it worse.

I love shed antler hunting, but it has to be done to prevent harm to the critters. I have no problem waiting until May.

It's no surprise that in looking through that guys other blogs there's a pic of a cutty with his gills ripped out and photos of them harassing spawners on the Missouri.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back