Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nevada Longbow ?

Duck-Slayer

so can you not hunt during a long bow season with a compound bow? kinda sounds that way in the regulations, compounds have let off so that means the bowstring is not entirely held by muscle power? or am I taking it wrong, thinking about starting too apply for mule deer in Nevada, just too hunt somewhere else every so often,

also is it hard too draw a general season or unit in Nevada? and do they ever have leftover/over the counter tags for nonresidents? thanks, any info provided will be greatly appreciated,

doing my research as I am typing this so I may answer some of these questions as I get further along, since the draw deadline is not till April 21st,
Matt

You are reading it wrong.....compound bows are OK. Crossbows are NOT....except for during the any legal weapon season. Nevada does not have a general season. You apply for a maximum of 5 different areas....should draw every 1-3 years depending on areas you apply for. No over the counter tags, but there is a 2nd draw for tags that did not sell...not usually the most desirable tags. And of course, this includes another application fee, and you will lose your bonus points if you draw any tag...even a leftover.

Matt, you should be able to draw a pretty good bow deer tag every few years. The wording of "long bow" does sound different I know. Good luck

I'm not too worried about getting a great tag, i'm a meat hunter most of the time, just looking too hunt different states for low $, looks like if I draw I can get the tag and license for $382 without the application fee, that's the tag and hunting license, I would only do it every other or 3rd year anyway, so if anyone has any units that fall into the category of just shooting a deer/2 point or less being a gimme and if you hunt hard a small 3 or 4, during an august season would be ideal, my off time..... sept., Oct., Nov., are full.... PM's are greatly appreciated...
Matt

Nevada has a lot of information on their website, but sometimes finding it is about as easy as getting a straight answer from your teenager.

Nevada has a lot of information on their website, but sometimes finding it is about as easy as getting a straight answer from your teenager.

Haha I agree, they really need to reorganize their site. I've found it much faster to search what your looking for on Google rather than clicking around their site.

I'm gonna use 031 hunt unit as an example, if I'm right there are 9 applicants for the 3 nonresident tags? And a 33% chance too draw? How does the points work on the equation?
Matt

Nevada points are squared. So some hunts that show 1 in 10 odds or so are really 1 in 100 until you build some points. A spreadsheet will calculate true odds and not just # of tags/applicants. The Nevada system is heavily weighted towards the top point holders. A guy with 15 points gets 226 random #'s in the draw opposed to a guy with 5 points having 26. I know it's a pain for some but you can quickly see which hunts you have a chance at compared to no chance in hell.

Some units have lots of people in the 15-20 point category that makes it very tough for someone at 0-5 points to draw. It does happen once in a blue moon however.

That hunt 031 had one app at 6 points and two at 3 points that drew. With 0 points you have 1 random # to the guy with 6 points 37 random #'s. However he is out of there and so are the people at 3 points leaving 2 at 2 points and 4 at 1 point for this year if no one else applies.

Clear as mud? Hope that helps anyways.

This table shows the point distribution.

Attachments

• 2013_NR_Deer.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 232
Also if your a first time applicant they need a copy of your hunters education card when you send your paper app in 7 days before the app deadline for online also,
Matt

Give em a few days and then follow up with a phone call if it isn't setup. I went down to the 11th hour one year helping my brother get setup b/c they didn't accept his info and had to go to management

Give em a few days and then follow up with a phone call if it isn't setup. I went down to the 11th hour one year helping my brother get setup b/c they didn't accept his info and had to go to management

I was way behind the 8 ball a couple of years ago on this. The lady in Reno (Maureen?) at the licensing section was incredibly helpful. I was able to email her a PDF of my card and she set me up while we were on the phone. What an incredibly helpful lady.

I hope they take mine, I filled out the application and sent two copy's of both my hunter safety cards I have for both Bow and Gun, so I think it should be good too go hopefully,
Matt

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back