Nevada - Is it Worth it?

It really comes down to opportunity cost. If you are going to use the money you save from not applying in Nevada and put it towards a “better” opportunity than no it probably doesn’t make sense but if your like me and your just going to spend it on hookers and blow than it probably makes sense because you can’t draw if your not in the game.

It really comes down to opportunity cost. If you are going to use the money you save from not applying in Nevada and put it towards a “better” opportunity than no it probably doesn’t make sense but if your like me and your just going to spend it on hookers and blow than it probably makes sense because you can’t draw if your not in the game.
I like the way you think.

Thank you sir! I figured I would just hire an outfitter since I don't have a boat, gear or equipment for it. I found a relatively cheap one day outfitter or do you have other recommendations?
Let me know when you draw. I’ll help you out if I can. If not, I know a darn good guide, but he’s probably not the cheapest.

Why can’t I have both?

I know two people other than myself who put in for NV as nonresidents. My sample size is three.

Here are our draw stats.

Me: 16 years of apps (e, d, s, a)
- Mid/Top end rifle antelope tag
- Top end late rifle buck tag
- Top end late rifle bull elk tag
- Desert bighorn ewe tag

Best Buddy C: 10 years of apps (e, d , s, a (only last 2 years for antelope))
- Top end early rifle bull elk tag

C's dad: 10 years (e, d, s)
- Medium quality mule deer buck rifle tag
- Silver State desert bighorn ram tag

As a group of three, we've been blessed.

It's expensive and you have no idea when and if you'll draw. Trophy quality is high and the adventure level of hunting desolate ground (if you like that feeling) is high.

I could barely afford to put in when I started, but glad I got building points and hunting. In fact, I was teaching at a private preschool making $10.50/hour. But I wanted to hunt DBH sheep before I died, so I decided to do it. I'll likely never draw a ram tag, but did get a female of the species.

Even if I ever pull a desert ram tag, I will continue to apply for NV until I die.

NV is not for everyone, and may not be financially wise for everyone (it wasn't for me at the time). But everyone who is in started at "the bottom floor" at the time.

Last edited:
I have a sample size of one. In 26 years applying for all species in NV I drew unit 61 rifle deer in 1998 and unit 114 archery bull elk in 2007. Since then, NR odds have exploded exponentially. Both these tags were long ago when odds were waaaaaaaaay better. My odds for that elk tag were 6% with my points that year. Today look it up. But I know it’s in the hundredths of 1%.

In my 30 years of applying nationally over 15 states, 40+ apps/year, while building wherever possible, the lowest odds I ever beat were 1.2% for New Hampshire moose in 2012. And the next one after that was up at 5%. I’ve never drawn anything lower than 1% odds despite over 1,200 applications.

BTW - Randy concurs with my opinion on both UT & NV if entering from the ground floor. Stated this in one of his videos.

Last edited:
I have a sample size of one. In 26 years applying for all species in NV I drew unit 61 rifle deer in 1998 and unit 114 archery bull elk in 2007. Since then, NR odds have exploded exponentially. Both these tags were long ago when odds were waaaaaaaaay better. My odds for that elk tag were 6% with my points that year. Today look it up. But I know it’s in the hundredths of 1%.

In my 30 years of applying nationally over 15 states, 40+ apps/year, while building wherever possible, the lowest odds I ever beat were 1.2% for New Hampshire moose in 2012. And the next one after that was up at 5%. I’ve never drawn anything lower than 1% odds despite over 1,200 applications.
Your odds for that rifle elk tag last year with 26 points would have been 6.2%.

Your odds for that rifle elk tag last year with 26 points would have been 6.2%.
What rifle elk tag? I don’t have 26 squared points for elk, because I drew in 2007, so was ineligible for ten years. Thus only 7 this year. In fact I said I had 25 this year for most NV species. That was 24 last year, not 26. And I did not draw rifle. I drew archery in 114. Odds on Toprut say 0.1% but goHunt shows odds at 0.07%. Even if I did have 25 points, goHunt shows 0.77%, not 6.2%. goHunt does not list any bull hunts in 114, with any weapon, in any season, for anywhere near 6.2%. Not sure where you got your numbers.

Last edited:
I know two people other than myself who put in for NV as nonresidents. My sample size is three.

Here are our draw stats.

Me: 16 years of apps (e, d, s, a)
- Mid/Top end rifle antelope tag
- Top end late rifle buck tag
- Desert bighorn ewe tag

Best Buddy C: 10 years of apps (e, d , s, a (only last 2 years for antelope))
- Top end early rifle bull elk tag

C's dad: 10 years (e, d, s)
- Medium quality mule deer buck rifle tag
- Silver State desert bighorn ram tag

As a group of three, we've been blessed.

It's expensive and you have no idea when and if you'll draw. Trophy quality is high and the adventure level of hunting desolate ground (if you like that feeling) is high.

I could barely afford to put in when I started, but glad I got building points and hunting. In fact, I was teaching at a private preschool making $10.50/hour. But I wanted to hunt DBH sheep before I died, so I decided to do it. I'll likely never draw a ram tag, but did get a female of the species.

Even if I ever pull a desert ram tag, I will continue to apply for NV until I die.

NV is not for everyone, and may not be financially wise for everyone (it wasn't for me at the time). But everyone who is in started at "the bottom floor" at the time.
Damn you guys must have fallen in a patch of four leaf clovers and came out with horseshoes in arrears. Sample size of 3. Applied for 10 years each so far for most all species. Not exactly sure on the other guys. Maybe not Antelope. No tags drawn.

Many can say this about any state. Even a blind pig finds a nut once in a while. And almost all low point holders apply for the bottom feeder units. But close study of the complete draw odds tells the story. I apply for medium quality units hunts in Utah and the only year I drew was Book Cliffs elk with zero points way back in 1997 when there were paper applications, minimal publicity, and no SFW dipping into the well. Odds today for any medium or high quality permits from the ground floor for NR's are well below 1%. That's the reality. And in my opinion that's just not worth buying in from the ground floor.
You apply for Rubies 1st deer hunt? if not, you aren't trying to draw.

Damn you guys must have fallen in a patch of four leaf clovers and came out with horseshoes in arrears. Sample size of 3. Applied for 10 years each so far for most all species. Not exactly sure on the other guys. Maybe not Antelope. No tags drawn.
Ya I was going to comment the same, but questioned if those results were even real. Drawing ANY NV NR hunts with that few points is actually inconceivable to me personally. Because as I mentioned earlier I've not beaten <1% odd in over 1,200 applications. The units are not mentioned in Desk Pop's post, but if as described with those few points held, I see 7 hunts easily <1%. I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, so I'll leave it at that. If those results are real, Desk Pop needs to get on a plane to Vegas right now, not tomorrow!

BTW - While there, put all your money on the Bears to win the 2025 Super Bowl. That way, both of us will be assured of being happy.

Last edited:

BTW - Randy concurs with my opinion on both UT & NV if entering from the ground floor. Stated this in one of his videos.
Wow 1998 buck tag in 061 I bet you got a great buck.

I had a NR buddy draw a buck tag in one of the best units in the state with only 3 points and then drew it again two years later. So it is possible and it happens every year. Everyone has to make their own choices.

Basically, the goal is to go elk hunting every year and get on a rotation. Then throw in some really good deer or antelope hunts or another species like alligator or moose every now and then. I got a raise so I am looking to add another State potentially. Is Nevada worth adding or should I go with Idaho, Montana, Alaska or Washington? Below is where I am currently applying

State:
NM
WY
AZ
CO
UT
SD
SC - Alligator
VA - Elk
ME - Moose
VT - Moose
NH - Moose
TX - Exotics

Not to be a Debbie Downer but IMO your goals are extremely unrealistic.

Ya I was going to comment the same, but questioned if those results were even real. Drawing ANY NV NR hunts with that few points is actually inconceivable to me personally. Because as I mentioned earlier I've not beaten <1% odd in over 1,200 applications. The units are not mentioned in Desk Pop's post, but if as described with those few points held, I see 7 hunts easily <1%. I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, so I'll leave it at that. If those results are real, Desk Pop needs to get on a plane to Vegas right now, not tomorrow!

BTW - While there, put all your money on the Bears to win the 2025 Super Bowl. That way, both of us will be assured of being happy.
I love how you jump to accusing me of lying.

Two of those four tags have full reports and photos on this forum. I guess I fabricated all of that, from start to finish, even asking for advice. One of them I killed before I was on HT, and the other I just killed last season and didn't put a photo up yet...so here it is.

Yeah, I'm making all this up.Screenshot_20240201-091814.png

Last edited:
Threads like this are hilarious to me.

No it’s not worth it, just like buying a raffle ticket at the RMEF banquet isn’t worth it.

I have a buddy who puts in NR Nevada because it’s his dream to hunt there, yet he can’t fathom the cost of spending the money on a special
Draw Wyoming tag…moral of the story what somebody says on HT about something being “worth” it doesn’t apply to you at all.

However, putting in for Nevada to get in a “rotation” of elk hunting doesn’t make sense. If you draw, it will be a one off deal.

Why do you mean? Going elk hunting every year is unrealistic?
Honestly if a buddy asked me how to hunt ELK every year on any kind of budget i would tell him MT/WY rotation with CO on the years you dont draw one of other 2. Get to know a unit or 2 in CO really good and enjoy otc while you can, rest of west is a lottery and unrepeatable. Find spots and focus on getting good at hunting those spots every couple years. If money isnt issue i would just buy tags in NM every year and outfitter in MT.

Threads like this are hilarious to me.

No it’s not worth it, just like buying a raffle ticket at the RMEF banquet isn’t worth it.

I have a buddy who puts in NR Nevada because it’s his dream to hunt there, yet he can’t fathom the cost of spending the money on a special
Draw Wyoming tag…moral of the story what somebody says on HT about something being “worth” it doesn’t apply to you at all.

However, putting in for Nevada to get in a “rotation” of elk hunting doesn’t make sense. If you draw, it will be a one off deal.
By no means am I considering Nevada as “part of the rotation”

OIL

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back