Nevada Chukar Hunting 2020

It's not carpet paw. It's lava rock. Pretty obvious diagnosis when you watch it firsthand.

I've found some chukar on the west slopes of sheep creek range north of Battle Mountain. I only hunted that area a couple of times but never struck out. I also never limited out. My favorite area was Denio. Hunting can be spectacular. They have a small hotel, general store, gas station, diner combination that makes for an awesome hunt base station. One trip over Halloween the locals were having a potluck type party at the store/diner/gas station while we were winding down with dinner after a hunt. The locals had us join in and made us feel right at home. We had a great time. You'll need dog boots for your dog. It takes skill to properly install dog boots, start with sports stretch wrap, put on boots and then sports tape but not so tight as to cut off circulation. Otherwise your dog won't last a day. I'd take a few extra boots in case one gets thrown and lost.
Have you ever tried Tuf-foot? Used as directed it works well. I'm headed for Denio in morning, will be the last trip for us this year.

Yes, I've used the tuf-foot product. It probably helps. It's been 12 years or so since I hunted that area and so can't remember if I always used dog boots or just on multi day hunts. I do remember that one of my buddies favorite hunts was guaranteed to destroy dog pads and we absolutely installed dog boots prior to the hunt. I never had success at that spot. We spent lots of time in the rim rock, backpacked our lunch and usually covered ground all day. Seems chukar stay close to rocks for escape cover. One time I had a golden eagle follow the flushed covey and then return to grab a downed bird before I could get to it. Hopefully didn't lead poison the eagle.

I grew up hunting bird dogs and never had a problem with my dogs feet. Not until chukar hunting in Nevada/Susanville, CA areas did I encounter terrain that had my dogs feet bleeding by noon of the first day. I really miss chukar hunting. I hope you have a great hunt! It's very gratifying when you finally "have your day" with the chukar. Sweet revenge for all the suffering they put you through!

Had a great day out in NV, the dog had her best day yet (she’s one) hunted all day 8.5 miles for humans 29 for the dog and she pointed 2 coveys early and then a pair and single later. Not many birds out there based what sign we saw in the fresh snow but great day.

Attachments

• D0E56C2F-07C1-42E1-9CF9-C286414E9798.jpeg
    D0E56C2F-07C1-42E1-9CF9-C286414E9798.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 45005628-A29F-45DB-9729-17AA522E0289.jpeg
    45005628-A29F-45DB-9729-17AA522E0289.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 9572A9D4-6304-4861-85A7-9786E9706854.jpeg
    9572A9D4-6304-4861-85A7-9786E9706854.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
Yes, I've used the tuf-foot product. It probably helps. It's been 12 years or so since I hunted that area and so can't remember if I always used dog boots or just on multi day hunts. I do remember that one of my buddies favorite hunts was guaranteed to destroy dog pads and we absolutely installed dog boots prior to the hunt. I never had success at that spot. We spent lots of time in the rim rock, backpacked our lunch and usually covered ground all day. Seems chukar stay close to rocks for escape cover. One time I had a golden eagle follow the flushed covey and then return to grab a downed bird before I could get to it. Hopefully didn't lead poison the eagle.

I grew up hunting bird dogs and never had a problem with my dogs feet. Not until chukar hunting in Nevada/Susanville, CA areas did I encounter terrain that had my dogs feet bleeding by noon of the first day. I really miss chukar hunting. I hope you have a great hunt! It's very gratifying when you finally "have your day" with the chukar. Sweet revenge for all the suffering they put you through!
My first hunt was in Susanville about 1971 ,went from the jungle (Nam) right to the desert to Chase chuckar. Still trying to get revenge....lol

There's a lot of chukar country north of I-80. I've hunted them in the rocky country near Wildhorse Reservoir, in the lower foothills heading up towards Jarbidge, the lower rocky hills of the Ruby's, just out side of Reno/Sparks along the Truckee river. You should have no problem finding some great chukar shooting near-by.
Looking to take my daughter out on her first chukar hunt. We have a really good GSP so if we can find a huntable population we should be fine. We are looking at the South Tuscarora Mountain Range near Elko/Carlin area. Are you familiar with this area? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

We usually hunt the mouths of the lower canyons on the eastern side of the Ruby's and the lower rocky areas around the Jarbidge mountains unless were hunting near home then it's near Caliente around the Delamars and the Pahroc range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back