Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nevada archery deer hunt = Loser

AZ402

I headed to NV last week for a late archery deer hunt. The word I was getting from my buddies up there wasn't to good. I guess lack of major snow had kept the migration to a minimum. They directed me to an area that had a decent resident deer herd. The first evening I was there I spotted a real nice typical 4x4 with a few does. The only problem was they had picked me up first in the wide open sage covered mountains. Not wanting to spook them off I backed out and let them feed into the trees. I figured they would be right back in there in the morning. Well I never saw that buck or his does again, bummer. Here is a real crappy pic of him. Like a D-Bag I accidently erased the two best pics I had of him.

P1080713.jpg

The next couple of days were fairly uneventful. A few small groups of does with no bucks. I did glass up plenty of these guys though.

P1080721.jpg

On Saturday morning I caught a doe drinking from a Spring. I searched for a bit looking for a buck. As I was about to give up and look elsewhere a big framed 4x4 showed himself. He was pretty rutted up and not to concerned with much but the doe. He gave me a decent shot at about 45yrds, very makeable for me. I guess I was a little to patient and waited for a broadside shot that I thought he'd give me. Instead he started back into the TALL sage. I had a little panic attack and put one in the air as he was going into the tall stuff. Well the sage ate my arrow up and the buck hit the cedar carpet, never to be seen again. The rest of the hunt was slow, I only saw one more buck and he was a dink 3x3.

Here is a little of what the country looked like
P1080718.jpg

A pretty sweet packrat condo.
P1080730.jpg

And the sun setting on my Nevada archery deer hunt.

P1080758.jpg

Bummer on the Hunt.. but Congrats agnyways !! Awesome pictures non the less.

Love the Car, I'm surprised I didn't see "HUNT TALK RULES" painted on the side :D :D

A week hunting is better than a week working, buck or no buck. Don't tell me, as soon as you left, the snow starterd flying, right ?

that's hunting--where abouts were you huntin??...at least you were out there in the wild tryin'-----chris

Excellent report Stan. Sorry you didn't connect. You could probably take that pony home for your kids' Christmas gift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back