Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Nevada Antelope?

That doesn't sound like the right combination of units. 33 is by itself. Maybe it's 32 & 34? I left my Nevada regs at the office.
Congrats on the tag btw! I hunted 33 last year and really didn't see the type of antelope I was looking for in a week of hard hunting. I saw lots of antelope but the drought has been rough on them in that part of the state. I'd get some topo maps now so you can start looking for public ground with water as they won't be far from water. Most of the private ground is outfitted or family/friends hunt it from what locals have told me.

Someone on the site has likely drawn your tag and could probably help with some more specifics. I had a few general suggestions then went out and checked them out as the antelope move a little from year to year depending on where they can get water so if you get some solid intel you'll want to go look for yourself and scout a little before your hunt.

I will be hunting deer in 033 during archery season. Anything close to the Sheldon national Antelope Refuge would be a good place to hunt. Just check your boundaries and also the ranch areas. There are lots of animals around the farming areas.

I will be hunting deer in 033 during archery season. Anything close to the Sheldon national Antelope Refuge would be a good place to hunt. Just check your boundaries and also the ranch areas. There are lots of animals around the farming areas.

I had that tag last year for any weapon. PM me if you need an assist.

I also drew an antelope 32, 34, and 35 any weapon tag. Excited to get down from Montana and do some scouting this summer. If anybody has info it would be appreciated. I have some good maps already:D

Thanks,
Matt

I also drew an antelope 32, 34, and 35 any weapon tag. Excited to get down from Montana and do some scouting this summer. If anybody has info it would be appreciated. I have some good maps already:D

Thanks,
Matt

Bring extra fuel cans and spare tires. Remote country

Try by the Jackson's on the east side there are a lot of pivots with decent amount of animals. I was deer camping with my brother out there and all I saw was antelope and chukar... That's why it wasn't hunting. There are roads around the ranches that lead to a dry lake but most of the action is right off the main road it would be a back up plan for me. That is in 035. Big creek is in 032 and seems to hold some decent deer. Those units got hit hard by fire a couple of years ago and it doesn't look real good this year either good luck to both of you.

Good tag to have - many B&C bucks have been taken from the unit group in the past 10 years. Most hunters seem to focus efforts in Unit 32, because it has been known to produce many quality bucks, but unit 34 and 35 can be just as good, especially unit 35. Don't hesitate to look in the higher hills too - antelope will occur all the way up to 7,500 feet in elevation in these units - often overlooked by the majority of hunters.

Good luck!

Great zone and I second ShootsManyBullets, I will be hunting 33 for deer and it is remote. Need to bring gas cans, water, etc. Lots of big lopes in that area. 33 has an antelope preserve in it. GPS will help out alot. Most the larger bucks I have been seeing the last few years have been higher on the mountains as people tend to flat land hunt them. Water will be a really big friend for you. Good luck

I drew a unit 11 tag 4 years ago which is on the West side of the Sheldon. There is a fence line around the reserve and its boundry is well defined. Funny thing is the Antelope don't care about the fence and travel in and out of the preserve with no respect for the fence. If you get the chance to drive through the Sheldon you will be amazed by the numbers and size of some of the goats in there.
Bagged my speed goat within 1/4 of a mile of the reserve on the second day of season. The only bad thing about getting him is the 5 year wait until I can do it again.
Take an extra spare tire and extra fuel! Tons of that black volcanic rock that will cut a tire in a heart beat.

I had to drive 60 miles to find ice for my goat. Beautiful contry though!

The lopes and coyotes are definitely thick over in the preserve area of the Sheldon. I heard there's a goofy horn gene running through that herd although I didn't see one when I was looking around.

Not sure what horn gene you heard about. I did kill a nice buck there last year with horns that went almost straight forward. As I soon as I saw it I knew it was a buck I wanted. One side was just over 16 inches the other just under. It was not very heavy though and rough scored about 76

..... I heard there's a goofy horn gene running through that herd although I didn't see one when I was looking around.

You mean cocked forward like this?

IMG_2589.JPG

From the mountain I shot him on, I could look from Unit 33 into Unit 11.

And, the biggest bodied, fattest antelope I have ever seen. Probably outweighing the biggest one I had shot previously or since, by at least 40 pounds. Not sure if he got into the bovine growth hormones, or what, but he was a chunker. His head was as big as, or bigger than, most deer.

IMG_1763.JPG

I would give anything for a tag in either of those units. Hard to have that much fun "within the boundaries of legality and morality."

Yup. A couple guys said there are some that have 1 antler that point forward too. I've heard those goofy horns really get you going...

I'll have that tag again in a year or two. Can't wait to go back now that I know my way around. Hopefully they get some moisture soon as it's been really dry the last couple years.

You might have killed a meat eater there! That guy is plump.

From 2008 Nev. unit 32
Shot up high by the rock outcropping sky lined in the center.
All the better bucks were spotted up high.
Bill

picture.php

Would have shot him just for the character of the horns. Very nice Lope!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back