Nevada Antelope Unit 33 Late Rifle - Help Please!

Aerosith

Hey Everyone,

I was super lucky to get this antelope tag in the FCFS system. This is for unit 33 and the dates are (8/29-9/7).
I can only hunt sept 2-5 unfortunately because of my school and work schedule.
This will be my very first Antelope hunt and was wanting some help or guidance in the right direction.
Things I don't know:
- Terrain or what types to look for
- General knowledge of the area or how to hunt it
- Water availability
- Expectations for antelope size and number

I know this may be a bit to ask, but i'd greatly appreciate any help I can get:)

Thank You
Spencer

Last edited:
you shouldnt have any issues,,you are lucky,that is a coveted tag//get back off main hwy on what side roads that are open ,i believe there are springs in the hills on the south end of the unit,they shouldnt be too far from water sources,,id hold for at least a 16"er if posible,,as a non res,youll never ever get that tag again.expect to shoot 300+ if needed,,ive only driven thru the main road a few times,,,not tons of antelope like wyoming,but there are some good ones//look up and call the game dept at winnemucca,,that should be there area.i would guess onion lake or gooch lake would be places to take a look,but im no pro.good luck.looks like onion has access up thru unit 12

your las t fuel will be denio nv to the east,,or adel ore to the n w..take plenty of fuel and spare tires,,area is very remote//ck with sheldon nat refuge folks on any other rules,,not very good cell sig {verizon} in the area

It's a fun one. Be sure to thin the coyotes out while you're there. :)

Find water and you'll find animals nearby. Not sure how the rain has been this year but put on some miles and pack a gas can and at least 1 spare tire, maybe 2.

Find springs, find antelope. Often wild horses will show you where the water is. ONX will have a lot of springs mapped as well.

I hunted the Adjacent unit and was told to look for them in the trees on the tops of ridges. Found a few there.

It really is a driving game. Find a high spot and glass as far as you can see. A cold beer for cowboys checking cattle in NV can get you a lot of good info.

thats gotta be near the top when it comes to nevada antelope tags,,at least top 5,,fcfs,ya gotta be kidding!! who was foolish enough to turn that one back??consider yourself a lottery winner on that one,,,drought or no drought,thats gotta be a heck of a tag.congrats.non res at that!!

I watched this guy for three days, hoping he’d cross off the Sheldon to the unit I was hunting. These are from a mile away with bad heat waves. Never saw another hunter near him. He’s got a mule of a head, 6”+ prongs and huge mass. I shot a net 80” buck there when I last had the tag in 2007. This buck is much larger than the one I shot. He’s completely unmolested and since it requires a 3/4 mile hike, I doubt anyone will go after him.

Sent you a PM.

B07DBE76-271A-4D84-9B86-25A77452C650.jpeg

There's a goofy horn gene in that area that probably gets a few guys in here excited

Advice is solid. There'll be plenty of guys on SxS driving all over the place that don't really know what they're doing. Avoid the areas with tons of traffic and be persistent with the glass.

There's a goofy horn gene in that area that probably gets a few guys in here excited

Advice is solid. There'll be plenty of guys on SxS driving all over the place that don't really know what they're doing. Avoid the areas with tons of traffic and be persistent with the glass.
And don't be afraid of looking at the other side of the ridge you can't see from the road.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back