Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Nevada 032, 034 Antelope

Baerman

After 11 years of points, I was finally able to draw a tag in Nevada in 032, 034! I'm a little concerned about the drought and looking at last years harvest of 3% of harvest being 15" plus in size. Hopefully some rain and these cooler temps will help this years horn growth. At any rate, I'm looking for some info from those experienced in these units. I'd love to chat with a few hunters via PM so I can better prepare for the first scouting trip and hunt. A few findings and questions in my initial research are below.

I'm initially planning on focusing on unit 032 and looking for recommendations on getting into the unit from the northeast (coming from the Boise area), camping and services. From what I can tell the nearest services for gas, ice, food, etc is either Winnemucca or Fields, Or.

Sounds like the roads are pretty hard on tires.

I'm assuming there is no cell service even on the higher elevations.

Camping looks decent around Onion Valley Campground or Knott Creek Reservoir. There are a couple other spots recommended in the Nevada DOW hunt planning info as well.

I've found some springs throughout the unit using google earth but am not sure if they will have water considering the drought.

I'm also curious about temperatures in late August, snakes and if the guzzlers typically have water in them as well.

Thanks and good luck this fall!

Last edited:
I've hunted a unit group adjacent to there. I was given the advice to hunt antelope like deer there and to watch in the junipers and rougher country. i found that to be true. Your best bet is to drive the unit in July and see if ranchers are hauling water to cows. The other is to watch wild horse herds and see where they congregate. Often the lone bucks will use them for sentries, and they will be near water.

i hunted cal bhs in unit 32 in 2017,,i can problably answer some of your questions,,shoot me a p m,,denio jct nv will be your closest fuel coming from that direction/ii covered pretty much the entire unit that year and can fill you in on some ideas for unit 32 lopes.

If you plan on camping at Onion check the weather ahead of time. If much of a storm comes through you'll be stuck there until the road dries out enough to not slide down into the bottom of the draw. Knott Creek camping is good. Good fishing both places, Blue lake also (hike in from Onion). Knott creek does get die-offs sometimes though.

Snakes: yes

Guzzlers: pretty much only if the cattle ranchers are filling them.

Temp: high 80s to low 100s-Night time low 50s

Denio is closest fuel.

I've hunted a unit group adjacent to there. I was given the advice to hunt antelope like deer there and to watch in the junipers and rougher country. i found that to be true. Your best bet is to drive the unit in July and see if ranchers are hauling water to cows. The other is to watch wild horse herds and see where they congregate. Often the lone bucks will use them for sentries, and they will be near water.
Thanks 2rocky! I'm looking forward to finding some high vantage points and using my glass. I assume heat waves really start to mess with glassing capabilities fairly early.

i hunted cal bhs in unit 32 in 2017,,i can problably answer some of your questions,,shoot me a p m,,denio jct nv will be your closest fuel coming from that direction/ii covered pretty much the entire unit that year and can fill you in on some ideas for unit 32 lopes.
Thanks Dan. PM sent.

Last minute preparations before leaving. I'm not overly optimistic on this unit given recent stats and this years drought. I considered turning the tag back in but what the heck, let's give it a go and make the best of it.

Leaving very early on Friday and should get three days of scouting in before it's go time. Is Knott Creek Res. a good central location for camping or is there a better central hub that any of you recommend? I will have an ATV to bounce around from base camp so those rough roads will be a little more accessible.

I've been focused via e-scouting on unit 32. should I be looking 34 over?

Last minute preparations before leaving. I'm not overly optimistic on this unit given recent stats and this years drought. I considered turning the tag back in but what the heck, let's give it a go and make the best of it.

Leaving very early on Friday and should get three days of scouting in before it's go time. Is Knott Creek Res. a good central location for camping or is there a better central hub that any of you recommend? I will have an ATV to bounce around from base camp so those rough roads will be a little more accessible.

I've been focused via e-scouting on unit 32. should I be looking 34 over?
Well! How was the hunt?

Well! How was the hunt?
underwhelming. only saw four bucks in four days and the heat did me in. only one buck was over 12". Didn't turn him back up opening morning so I took one of the other bucks. Density was lower than what I see in Idaho. All in all, a good experience though. I'm just not built for that kind of heat!

underwhelming. only saw four bucks in four days and the heat did me in. only one buck was over 12". Didn't turn him back up opening morning so I took one of the other bucks. Density was lower than what I see in Idaho. All in all, a good experience though. I'm just not built for that kind of heat!
032 is a difficult hunt for Nevada. Most of the larger bucks stick to center pivots from what recollection.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back