PEAX Equipment

Need Truck Wisdom on 09-14 Pickups

I would also try to avoid any of the gm v8’s in that year range with the displacement on demand. They are prone to lifters sticking.
A 60$ part disables the AFM (active fuel management).

I recently went from a 2007 silverado 1500 to a 2018 silverado. I'm glad I did! I personally would avoid any of the small engines, unless you don't haul anything with it.

Gm twins prior to 2007. LS engines without the dfm. There is a good reason why so many custom builders choose the LS.

I've got a '14 F150 with the 5 liter. Nice engine, gets about 16.5 MPG all around. Usually can push it to 18-19 on the highway if I don't get all Bandit on it. The head was cracked and I luckily had an extended warranty (take that, haters). No issues after getting it replaced in about 40K miles.

I'd go with the 8 cylinder before the eco-boost, personally.
This ^^^

I too have a '14 F-150 with the 5.0 and have been very happy with it. The first gen ecoboosts (which go through '16 in the half tons) can be a toss up.
Better performance but I'd say the 5.0s are more reliable across the board.

Previous truck, on the other hand, was a '09 Silverado that was nothing but problems...couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough.

I have a 2019 Silverado Custom that I replaced my f250 with. It has the 4.3 v6 and so far I have been very happy with it. I did have a oil cooler like blow up on me about 3 days after an oil change at the chevy dealership.....(Suspicious) Fixed that myself. Runs great, 20mpg on the highway which is double what I use to get. It being a half ton took some getting use to and the fact it doesnt have front locking hubs was annoying. Good tires and it does just fine on mountain roads. 24,000 miles. I do miss my F250 however and If i do find myself needing to tow heavy again, I will be getting another one.

However we are toying with the idea of getting a Hummer H3T as a toy vehicle to take offroading. I think they are pretty cool. I know, under powered and its a freakin hummer. I dont care. Front and rear diff lockers and full time 4x4 sounds like a fun little adventure vehicle.

our 2015 expedition has the second gen Ecoboost and short of the throttle body failing at 150k miles, it has been bullet proof for us. I guess some have issues with the turbos leaking oil after 100k, But ours had that fixed prior to us getting it and its had zero issues. After 100k i just generally expect issues to happen. Parts wear out, and if your willing to fix things yourself its really not that expensive. Those cooled seats on the expedition are spectacular on the nuts and the ford has 175k miles this week.

If it has a 4L60E transmission stay as far away from it as you can. Learned my lesson on that twice slow learner apparently. My family has bought GM sense the 50s but after the disappointment of our last 2 purchases (a 09 Silverado and 15 Acadia) they've most likely lost our business forever.

I am not a "Brand" specific guy. What I have learned over the many years of being a fleet manager is this. 1/2 Chevy or GMC you can't find a better truck second would be a Ram with Ford nippingat the heels of the Ram. Heavy duty diesel Ford gets the nod second Ram. This is all based on what the guys put them through and issues I have seen.

Stay away from Dodge. My 2012 Hemi 2500 has been a good truck, but has had issues. The Hemi engine warps exhaust manifolds and ends up snapping a few studs flush with the block. Luckily we were able to weld nuts to them and back them out of the block. Fun times. The current issue that I have is a transmission code that keeps popping up. I guess that’s another common issue with Dodge and I need to dig into it more. Just keep throwing more money at it.

Got a 14 5.0 for work truck and it’s been a good truck. Fuel mileage is 16.5 average. Only major issues have been fuel pump going out this summer and speed sensor in the transmission. It was over 300,000
when both of those happened. It has 309 and change on it. Always get it serviced at 3,000 miles.

I sold my 2015 F-150 XLT with a 5.0L to my friend this spring. It had 119K on it and literally never had an issue. I changed the oil every 3,500 or so, and had the rear dif, transmission, etc..serviced at the dealer. It was a great truck

I have a ‘13 F150 with the 5.0L and I love it. The 3.5L are nice but at least in that era the turbos often start leaking and it’s a $5-6k fix unless you can do your own mechanic work. I can’t and I’m very risk averse so I opted for the 5.0.

Another vote for the Tundra. My 2014 has been a solid truck. As mentioned above, gas mileage is between 13-16 mpg. It replaced a 2010 Chevy Silverado with engine problems that started at 45k miles.