Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Need Truck Wisdom on 09-14 Pickups

HerkHunter

Hey all,
Looking at putting my ‘96 GMC K1500 out to pasture finally. My price range has led me to something in the 2009-2014ish range. Been looking a lot at the F150 but after doing some reading seems like the EcoBoost in the 3.5L has its share of Gremlins. Hoping someone can help give me some guidance and wisdom on a good daily driver in the 15Kish range. Prefer an automatic, gas engine. Dont need a crazy nice trim… just somethin to get me to the woods and work and back again. If you could share any advice or suggestions on a good vehicle that fits this criteria I would greatly appreciate it!!!

For a truck in that price range I’d personally rather look for a low mileage, babied ‘01-‘06 ish Chevy or GMC, or first gen Tundra.
Myself and colleagues had quite a few Ford and Chevy work trucks in that age range your talking about and they nearly all spent a lot of time in the shop.

For a low maintenance, solid truck I think you’d be hard pressed to beat a Tundra. The knock is gas mileage. My 2008 gets 13-17, with the majority in the 14-16 mpg range. It just runs and does everything I ask it to.

I had a 2012 Ford F150 for work and it was a pretty good truck. It had exhaust manifold issues that were expensive to remedy. It got a little better gas mileage than my Tundra but not much.

No experience with Chevy or Dodge half tons in that era.

I used a few 05ish Chevy 1/2 tons with the 5.3 and I liked them a lot better than the newer GMs I’ve used. I love my Tundra, which is a 2018, but they haven’t changed much since then. I’d probably try to find a low mileage Tundra as my first choice.

I ended up with a 2014 Titan. It was the lowest cost in the used market.

So far I like the Tundra idea… my buddy has a ‘07 Tundra that us bulletproof. One is actually for sale right now a few blocks down. Might have to check it out then.

I have a 2012 F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. Good engine, plenty of power. If you maintenance it well, it'll last. Timing chains go out on those. If i were to do it again, I'd get a 5L. They've been making that engine for a very long time. Otherwise, I'd consider a Titan.

I have 2011 f150 5L. It's been very reliable. I do have a recent issue with the dual climate control. Passenger side will only blow hot air! Sounds like it is an inexpensive part, but have to pull the dash half out to replace. So for now those vent covers stay closed.

I've got a '14 F150 with the 5 liter. Nice engine, gets about 16.5 MPG all around. Usually can push it to 18-19 on the highway if I don't get all Bandit on it. The head was cracked and I luckily had an extended warranty (take that, haters). No issues after getting it replaced in about 40K miles.

I'd go with the 8 cylinder before the eco-boost, personally.

We have 3 1500 Silverado's in our fleet that all have 300,000+ miles on them. One needed a new transmission at 280k, but that was the only major repair needed. Two of them are 2011's and the third is a 2013.

My 2015 GMC 1/2 ton is good for 425 miles on a 22 gallon tank of fuel. That's roughly a Workweek's worth of driving for me now. It will tow a 2 horse trailer easily enough and has made a few multiday trips across the West. I like the GMC (and Chevy) interiors and I think The 1500 series is the truck i see the most in my travels. Were I go up to a 3/4 ton i might look at a Dodge, but i don't know anything about them.

I'd avoid a 2016 Silverado 1500 unless you enjoy replacing transmissions.

Have had two 3.5L ecoboosts and love them with no issues whatsoever. If you google any truck, you will find that it had gremlins. My twin boys want a truck for their first vehicle and are pooling their money. I will also help them out a little bit. I am looking at the same era of trucks, but a bit less money. I wont hesitate to buy an ecoboost if the rest of the truck is nice.

I have 2011 f150 5L. It's been very reliable. I do have a recent issue with the dual climate control. Passenger side will only blow hot air! Sounds like it is an inexpensive part, but have to pull the dash half out to replace. So for now those vent covers stay closed.
I’ve seen that issue, I think it was a recall I read about when researching. My truck doesn’t have AC right now so its windows down and music up in the summers!

I would also try to avoid any of the gm v8’s in that year range with the displacement on demand. They are prone to lifters sticking.