Need info on deer hunting area 103, Bonney lake SWA

fourthelove

I have finally drawn a deer tag for Colorado area 103/Bonney lake SWA. I was wondering if anyone out there has any info they might share or contacts that might help me plan the hunt since know nothing about that area.
Thanks
John H

How do you respond to this question...I realize most are just looking for general stuff but it would seem to me that if you "finally" drew a tag that means you have waited for this which would mean to you might know about what your waiting for...Is this just my thoughts or what?
but here are some links
http://www.parks.state.co.us/Parks/BonnyLake/ParkActivities/Hunting/Pages/BonnyHunting.aspx
http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCollectionImages/parks/Parks/BonnyLake/Maps/F_Bonny_Hunting4_08.pdf
http://dnr.state.co.us/newsapp/press.asp?pressid=7382
http://wildlife.state.co.us/LandWater/StateWildlifeAreas/Pages/swa.aspx
http://dowlegacyapps.state.co.us/apps/swa/maps/Southeast/SouthRepublican_color.pdf
if its like the other wildlife areas Ive been to there will be deer, but the one article says they drained the reservoir...prob not good

How do you respond to this question...I realize most are just looking for general stuff but it would seem to me that if you "finally" drew a tag that means you have waited for this which would mean to you might know about what your waiting for...Is this just my thoughts or what?

Bingo! I spent years in the plains GMU I'm hunting making landowner contacts and learning the area before I decided to take the plunge and apply for a deer tag out there.

But I have heard that drawing the GMU 103 tag is the hardest part of the hunt. With the Reservoir drained now there should be all kinds of thick cover in ts place ;-)

I figurd I would look into it see what I could find. I'm want to bank some points and hunt out there. But. It takes 0 points to draw any tag that I looked at so I guess the finally drew part was just waiting for the results to come out. Go figure

What season, that is a critical piece of info. What part of season will you hunt. If archery you could get some help on bowsite.

A suggestion when plying the internet for some help...demonstrate you have done previous research.
As that will garner more respectful and helpful responses. If you have not acquired and studied some detailed maps, and google earth by now you are probably impossible to help. Nobody wants to waste time telling you what roads, how to get around, and all the other stuff you can EASILY be expected to use your own time sorting out.

Anyway, you said nothing about prior knowledge you have gained since drawing the tag fully 3 months ago....so understand folks ability to only know what effort you have been willing to put in is based on what have you shared, which would suggest no effort. True or not, that is what most guys are are left to presume. And it is human to want to help those who help themselves and leave the loafers to their own devices....if you are the former you have obscured it and will get few helpful responses regardless of what websites you posted on, and if the latter...

Good luck. Should be able to kill a deer from your tent in there.

If you "finally" drew a tag, it would seem that you have thoroughly researched the area in the years prior in trying to draw that tag. Or, were you simply reading Eastman's and putting in for tags they recommend? It's kinda late to be cramming your research now, wouldn't you think?

more info about me and my knowledge

Being out of state back east, applying for preference points for 13 years, and never have been in that area, means I have little knowledge other than the game biologist said that there are some nice whitetails, and a few mule deer in the area. I have been on google earth but looks like a narrow strip that borders on lots of private land. I hoped someone might have hunted there before and might tell me if the lake area is a good place to start, if there might be some landowners who are eager to get rid of pesty deer or if everyone wants a treaspass fee etc. I hoped someone might be familiar with the new growth there might be since the drainage. I guess just looking for someone who might be local to the area and might have some good pointers for a 65 year old disabled veteran who can hardly get around anymore. Thanks for any advice.
JH

Thanks for the service and good luck. Wish I could help.

Last edited:
Sorry, don't know anything about the area.

I have hunted deer that late before though. Outside of some really light second rut action the second week of December (whitetail, not sure if mule deer do this), their patterns will be completely centered around food. Bucks especially will be in rough shape after the rut, and need to pack that weight back on ASAP before the dead of winter hits.

*edit to add that I'm not sure what part of CO the unit's in. If it's in the desert country I could be completely wrong and they might still be rutting then.

At age 65, you must be a Viet Nam vet...so is my dad. Welcome home!! You guys never got the respect and welcome that I got from Iraq. I too am a disabled vet with tours in Desert Storm, Bosnia, and Iraq and medically retired after 2 IED blasts.

As for your hunting question, I can't help with that. But, like others I've seen come on here, I have to wonder how you guys pick an area to hunt, then have no idea what you're looking at once you draw the tag. What was your criteria in putting if for that particular unit? What info have you been able to find for yourself?

wow now im really confused why would you burn 13pp for a unit that takes 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back