Caribou Gear

Need help with choosing state for archery mule deer

deerslayer97

Well I got a question for you all and would appreciate any info. I am planning on going on a western trip and doing a mule deer/pronghorn hunt. We already have the hunt for pronghorn figured out(its in Wyoming go figure😊) There's a group of 3 of us going and we originally planned on doing south Central Idaho but after last year's winter I'm not too sure after looking at the harvest odds. I got in contact with some people in the same area who said the last several winters were mild but the harvest odds have me double guessing myself. So I'm thinking of doing Colorado or wyoming. The reason we picked Idaho over Colorado was because our pronghorn hunt starts round Sept 15 and if we go that late well run into muzzy hunters. 2 out the 3 of us have pts in colorado and all have 1 pt in wyoming if that make a difference. I'm still very new to this western hunting thing but I went in montana last year and tagged out in archery. We're all young and willing to do some hiking if that makes a difference.
Thanks

The only thing that counts in Colorado is points from the person with the lowest amount of points in your group. So if you do get drawn in the 1st drawing with 0 points or what ever he has, you will also lose your points. Unless you pick up a tag in the 2nd choice or OTC. You are running up on a deadline for CO, I'm sure you know. Colorado is always a good state to go to for mulies in my opinion but if you want to try a western plains type of hunt for mulies you can get OTC for Nebraska, South Dakota, or North Dakota. Good luck hunting this fall!

Do your research on ND. Lots of public land in the Badlands and quality animals. Hunt there while building points in CO. Best advice I can give anyone interested in archery hunting mulies. Just my two cents, take it for what it’s worth. Good luck and post pics.

Do your research on ND. Lots of public land in the Badlands and quality animals. Hunt there while building points in CO. Best advice I can give anyone interested in archery hunting mulies. Just my two cents, take it for what it’s worth. Good luck and post pics.

What he said and look at western SD also. Lots of public land

Alright thanks for the responses. South Dakota seems to be what Im leaning towards, although Im still considering Idaho(probably unit 54 if it makes any difference), or a second choice/leftover/otc tag in Colorado. Does anyone know how the last years winter affected southern Idaho?

Back