Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Need help on elk hunter success in CO

Danvet

I'm a longtime lurker, rare poster. I have been to CO for a few OTC/OYO elk hunts with mixed success but always had a wonderful time. I'm planning to try again this fall. In preparation, I have reviewed CO Department of Wildlife data from OTC units. I primarily look at numbers of hunters and success rates. Specifically, I was looking at southern CO, as I lived in NM for 10 years and frequently hunted NW of Tres Piedras. In units 851 and 140, the hunter success is very high (40-60%) and hunter numbers low. Using maps on the website, there appears to be mostly private land with small parcels of SWA. What am I missing here? What data is CDW using to come up with these numbers? Surely, the data is skewed in some way or why isn't everybody hunting there? Any help would be appreciated, I'm probably missing something that is obvious.

I don't know anything about the area, but the answer lies in the info you posted. If it's all private land, the landowners are restricting access. That in turn will also make success rates go up.

Those units have alot of land tied up with outfitters and 851 has Bosque Del Oso state park, which has wierd hunting rules (also a draw unit and the only hunting available is on the park). Unit 140 also has alot of land tied up with developers selling 'ranchettes' and small acre plots. Go a little farther north into units 84/69/86...nice sleeper units with a ton of public access. 84 and 69 are draw units for archery elk and rifle, but with low points for archery. 86 is an OTC unit for archery and 2nd & 3rd rifle seasons with good success.

The DOW has a statistics page that will tell you minimum numbers of points for a unit and license, plus how many licenses are given to a unit per season and all that...a nice place to look as a non resident to get an idea where to start

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses Oak and JC. As I said, I was overlooking the obvious. Thanks for the pointers John.

Hey guys, I am planning a hunting trip on public land in Colorado for 2010, It seems the more I get into this the more questions come up. Anyone having any useful info I would greatly appreciate a real person with real experience to speak with on the subject. You could email me at [email protected]

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back