Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Need a recipe for whole deer shanks

cooked a couple deer shanks and onion, garlic, carrots, celery in crockpot with au jus sauce till it flaked off bone then made French dip sandwiches -- WOW !

Here is what I use for my bone in neck roast, sure it would work with shanks.
Brown with salt and pepper, put in roasting pan with some water at, add seasoning over meat. Bake 325 5-6 hrs.
51530F05-8145-4EA9-A10A-1C27CF8BFCC1.jpeg

Made them again tonight. More garlic and diced up a jalapeno pepper. Couple bay leaves. Still not what I'm looking for. Needs more flavor yet! Still good, still tender, but still a bit bland. Guess I'm too picky!View attachment 133459
I would add a little red wine and maybe a can of cream of mushroom soup. Maybe a bit of beef bouillon.

Not a recipe with amounts - but I'll slice a white onion or two very thin. Place the shanks on top. Add water or stock. Add a stupid amount of paprika (find some good Hungarian Smoked). Like a 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup or more of the paprika.

Once you can pull the meat off the bones cleanly, then shred the rest of the meat. Return to the cooking liquid and reduce it down to where the meat is very moist, but you can't really drain any liquid off. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Great by itself, in sandwiches, burrito / taco shells. It is better the second day. Speaking of which - I'll make it this week - I haven't done this one in awhile.

Not a recipe with amounts - but I'll slice a white onion or two very thin. Place the shanks on top. Add water or stock. Add a stupid amount of paprika (find some good Hungarian Smoked). Like a 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup or more of the paprika.

Once you can pull the meat off the bones cleanly, then shred the rest of the meat. Return to the cooking liquid and reduce it down to where the meat is very moist, but you can't really drain any liquid off. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Great by itself, in sandwiches, burrito / taco shells. It is better the second day. Speaking of which - I'll make it this week - I haven't done this one in awhile.

Agreed on the stupid amount of paprika (at least if you get the good stuff), hard to make a bad dish with that stuff.

Back