Need a new pocket knife

Redmt

I carry a pocket knife every where everyday. I used to carry a Schrade 30T, a little 3". I'd wear them out and get another. My last one was used to jump a solenoid to start a dozer . Of course it melted. I bought another and it's made in china. I threw it away and went to the comparable Buck Knife. The quality is ok but once the edge is done it's impossible to sharpen it back. I'm looking for suggestions on another brand. I don't want garbage because it will be used and abused,but I don't want super high end either. Sometimes my pocket knife is a sacrifical tool.

I’ve always had good luck with the Victorinox knives for general chores and always keep one in the truck, downside is most don’t lock!

I have two knives that I swap out that I carry every day, a bench made mini griptilian or a bugout. They both fit my hands well and are capable of cutting up an animal during season if I had to. The steel takes and holds an edge really well and I’m far from a great sharpener.

My carry knife has been a Gerber clip for 30 years. I do have a Victorinox in the truck but I have broken off the can opener/screwdriver blade. There is a Gerber multi tool too.

I EDC a spyderco mostly a delica, but have others
using diamond stones will cure not being able to sharpen most knives
like buck or Benchmade
a trapper style knife is nice to carry edc

Last edited:
I have a buddy that swears by Case. I just ordered one through cramazon. I hate them but they were the least expensive all things considered.
Thanks for the recommendations.

I used to carry Spyderco before switching from jeans to slacks. Not to be morbid but I placed a nice jigged bone Case Trapper in my late brother's suit pocket when we all said goodbye. I very much like knowing he has it.
A good quality knife is good to carry no matter where you go. RIP to your brother.

Love my Case peanut pocket knife, I don't leave home without it. Real happy with the steel that Case uses.

I've carried the Benchmade 940 for 15+ years, and it is a great knife, but @ $200 it's tough to use in potentially destructive situations.
I recently acquired a Civivi Elementum and It is a fantastic knife for the money and punches WAY above its $50 price point. I thoroughly recommend it.

I have no personal or professional affiliation with either of these companies.

CRKT knives are typically good enough to get it done but not expensive enough to care if you kill it or lose it.
Have an old fixed gut hook Columbia River that is un-loseable. It's been everywhere...think I paid less than 20 bucks for it new.

Case is nice and still made in USA if that’s a factor to you. Buck is kind of a split with that. The Buck pocket sized knifes are mostly made overseas and are cheaper as one other poster called them his favorite budget option. Buck still makes their classic models 105,110, 112, 119 ect here. Like others mentioned Spyderco is good. Some of those are foreign made and some are in their Golden Colorado factory.

I really like small blades that have a flat profile when folded. I love my Spyderco Dragonfly.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back