Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Neck flat spot?

Deckerp

Just starting to learn and get ready to begin reloading. Been saving my factory brass for awhile and inspecting it now I noticed that on my 300WSM , for which I have one rifle, On many of the fired case necks there a slight flat spot. I don’t see this feature on any other rifle brass I have saved. Thoughts? Something during extraction?

Just starting to learn and get ready to begin reloading. Been saving my factory brass for awhile and inspecting it now I noticed that on my 300WSM , for which I have one rifle, On many of the fired case necks there a slight flat spot. I don’t see this feature on any other rifle brass I have saved. Thoughts? Something during extraction?
Crushed?

Post a pic.

Most likely it’s from the neck hitting the ejection port as you pull the bolt back.

I think the photo makes the point that it’s not very significant as it’s not that noticeable on the photo. Still I was curious. Hitting the port upon ejection was my thought as the flat spot also seems to show just a slight scrape mark on the neck as well.

Ha yeah - it’s there but the photo definitely made it seem less noticeable than it had seemed to me before before I took a photo! Thanks guys.

As long as it goes over the expander ball without being damaged it’s nothing to worry about. If it was bad enough to worry about, there are things that can be done to potentially improve the situation. In your case I wouldn’t worry about it if it was mine. In fact, even if they were so bad that they wouldn’t go over the expander ball you could simply switch to a tapered expander button rather than work on the gun. There would be advantages and disadvantages to either solution, but in your case, there’s no solution necessary.

If it was real bad you can size without the expander ball and it will go away. Do your neck expansion with a separate mandrel. Alas the Sinclair tool sold by Brownells doesn't have much for mandrels [2 sizes] since it's more for neck turning.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back