Nebraska Public Land Muzzleloader Deer

DIY.OR97814

I was planning on going to Nebraska in December and was looking at hunting the Pine Ridge area or Samuel R. McKelvie National Forest and getting off the roads to avoid pressure.. Was wondering if anyone had hunted this area any pointers or comments would be appreciated

Number one, you might start off with an introduction. Why would you want to leave the Oregon opportunities for a mediocre hunt in Nebraska? There are good deer there, but they get hit hard. The center fire crowds hammer those pretty hard. The northwest areas are rough canyons that hold good deer if you are willing to work for them. The Samuel McKelvie is Nebraska sandhills. It is grass-covered, soft sand hills that are tough hiking if it is dry. The deer are there, but there are lots of miles to cover.

It's your dime, so go for it if you really want a challenge.

Thanks.. and this late season hunt gives me an opportunity to get out since I play college football I can't hunt during the usual Oct-Nov months.. Nebraska is reasonable distance and over the counter tags make it easy to get out

Yep Hooper is correct. The McKelvie National forest has the least amount of trees of any forest I have ever seen. Maybe 20 trees at the entrance. It's all sandhills as stated. That's not saying there maybe deer in those hills. I did a lot of sharptail hunting in those hills. NOTE: take a good GPS... it's easy to get lost in the hills. I would recommend the Pine Ridge.

good luck to all
the dog

Back