Nebraska Birds

mhungerford

Had a chance this weekend to make it back to my hometown of Chadron and do some turkey hunting. Took a few good friends with and had some fun. The birds were quiet but plentiful. I have never been a big fan of sitting and calling turkeys always been the run and gun type. But the guys wanted to call, with the birds not talking this trip quickly turned into a glassing and stalking adventure. After a few blown attempts we finally connected on our first bird.
After an eventful afternoon we returned to town to watch the Mayweather fight. Should have just watched dancing with the stars.
Day 2 brought us more action as we started before sunrise and listened for a few birds talking on the roost which was cool. We setup and waited. They decided to go up the hill instead of down. But not more than an hour after sunrise we found a group of birds working down the road and snuck in for a closer look. I went around the hill and my other friends went crawling up the road. The birds just happened to walk right by me. At 6 feet I decided I would go ahead and take my tom.
What a rush. The last 2 photos are just of the area we hunted.

Attachments

• Resize.jpg
    Resize.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 304
  • Resize Marc.jpg
    Resize Marc.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 303
  • Resize landscape.jpg
    Resize landscape.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Resize landscape 2.jpg
    Resize landscape 2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 315
Beautiful Merriams in some beautiful country. I tried a hunt out there a few years ago, but got cut short by a 10" snowstorm. I will be back soon enough.

COngrats!

Congrats! That's some hella cool looking country! I really need to make it a point to visit it...soon!

CONGRATS Marc!!!!! Sitting in Chadron at this moment. No connection the first two times out.... until Thomas put me onto an area that I had not been to. Shot a gobbler this morning at 7 am. Hopefully going out with our friend and his son for birds this afternoon.

good luck to all
the dog

CONGRATS Marc!!!!! Sitting in Chadron at this moment. No connection the first two times out.... until Thomas put me onto an area that I had not been to. Shot a gobbler this morning at 7 am. Hopefully going out with our friend and his son for birds this afternoon.

good luck to all
the dog

Are they talking any better? We just could not get them to come into the calls.
Congrats on the bird.

Are they talking any better? We just could not get them to come into the calls.
Congrats on the bird.

Marc: I am a "sitter"..... I come out here to run and gun with Thomas... something I don't do in Iowa. On this hunt Thomas was not able to come so I did my blind set up and sit and call. We spotted these birds the night before. I set up this morning. Lots of gobbling on the ridge. I only call every 20 minutes ... I don't call very often. On my one call he answered... about 200 yards away. I then picked up the calling.. very soft and only when he answered. The hen appeared and so did he in full strut. He stayed at 75 yards for a long time... then I gave some very soft purrs... "that's all she wrote". He strutted into the decoy at 17 yards. (bad news is I forgot the video tripod and it would have been beautiful). Nice sun. I did get him on video with the handheld as he was strutting on in. That was a long answer, however, YES this bird was very responsive. You gave me a great gift by introducing me to this guy in Chadron. Thanks.

good luck to all
the dog

Awsome birds. I had relation that had a cattle ranch by Chadron. I always loved visiting out there. Pretty country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back