Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

NE Wyoming Drought - Pronghorn Behavior

tomengineer

I saw some posts related to this from the spring but as the season is now almost upon us I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into how this area's drought status might affect pronghorn hunting tactics and behavior. I'm guessing they will potentially be closer to any irrigated agriculture operations in the area, both for the water and the forage. That or any ground springs or drainage courses that still have water, if either can be found.

Thanks in advance for the help. Good luck to all I might see out in the field that way.

I can't offer any insight just yet, but curious myself. We'll be headed that way at the end of this week.

Where I am (north/central leaning east), its DRY. Just driving around most streams/ponds are low or empty. Where I antelope hunt the 2 ponds I've checked are both bone dry, not even mud, just DRY. It's also been HOT (well until yesterday, maybe falls here now). The antelope I've tried to bowhunt (spot & stalk) have been hard to find, not where I normally would find them. G&F says numbers are fine, but the lack of water and HEAT just makes them move less so harder to find. I'd by that based on what I've seen.

Wife and I opened rifle down further south Sunday, In about 4 hours driving roads (mostly scouting), we saw 4 groups, one to far out, to flat ground and moving to fast. Second a solo-buck, I moved in on and missed, third wife got a NICE buck, 4th, I did a piss-poor job of marking a bedded buck/doe from the truck, then couldn't find them on foot.

Then the rain moved in and we headed home.

They are out there, but water is scarce

Where I am (north/central leaning east), its DRY. Just driving around most streams/ponds are low or empty. Where I antelope hunt the 2 ponds I've checked are both bone dry, not even mud, just DRY. It's also been HOT (well until yesterday, maybe falls here now). The antelope I've tried to bowhunt (spot & stalk) have been hard to find, not where I normally would find them. G&F says numbers are fine, but the lack of water and HEAT just makes them move less so harder to find. I'd by that based on what I've seen.

Wife and I opened rifle down further south Sunday, In about 4 hours driving roads (mostly scouting), we saw 4 groups, one to far out, to flat ground and moving to fast. Second a solo-buck, I moved in on and missed, third wife got a NICE buck, 4th, I did a piss-poor job of marking a bedded buck/doe from the truck, then couldn't find them on foot.

Then the rain moved in and we headed home.

They are out there, but water is scarce
Thanks for the reply. I’ll give it a go but definitely appreciate the information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back