NBA Finals

The simple fact that Lebron is so controversial, says a lot about how good he isn’t.

Gifts have a lot to do with how good you are, but size is almost as important.

I personally don’t care, watching a bunch of freaks shooting less than 50% from 3 point range and considering that good, seems a bit optimistic, that means that more than 50% are missed.

I don’t know of any shooting sports where 50% would make you a great participant…

The simple fact that Lebron is so controversial, says a lot about how good he isn’t.

I personally don’t care, watching a bunch of freaks shooting less than 50% from 3 point range and considering that good, seems a bit optimistic, that means that more than 50% are missed.

I don’t know of any shooting sports where 50% would make you a great participant…
Participation trophy generation perhaps??

I'm late to the party... did not expect to see a basketball thread here.

Second to only to baseball, I've always liked basketball, a lot.

The Joker is a hellva player, they'll close out the Heat, likely this next game.

I am old enough to have watched great players from Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Oscar, West, Jordan, James, Magic, yada, yada.

Given basketball is a TEAM sport, declaring a single player the best, is kinda pointless.

LaBron took some pretty bad teams in his early years, to the finals. It is not surprising they could not win the crown, as those teams had little else other than James. There are very few players to have played in as many finals as James.

Jordan had almost no success in the playoffs until Phil Jackson became the coach. It does not hurt, that Jordan had two other hall of fame players on many of the teams. I can think of a lot of players that I prefer as humans, compared to Jordan.

The Nuggets play a very enjoyable brand of basketball. They share the ball, play for each other, and have many players capable of impacting the game. I could see them winning it all a couple more times in the next number of years.

Lebron will forever live in Jordan's legacy he might have some stats that are above Jordan but because he took the Cavs to get a chip doesn't make him the greatest. He would've never won 2 with Miami without Wade Bosh and Allen.

The 2020 champ is a technicality at best with that shit show going on.

Stef Curry has a more impressive sheet than he does in my opinion and all with the same team.

Lebron is a absolute stud you could debate it for days but the guy can't even come up with his own movie. He's even gotta follow Mike in that too....

#cmonman

1686439920552.png

1686439936578.png

The Joker and crew and brining one home to Denver tomorrow night. Tip my hat to Miami but it's gonna take an act of God to get them to overcome what Denver has going right now.

As far as the Jordan vs LeBron debate goes stats are stats but watch the way one plays the game vs the other. If you can't see it you need an eye Dr.

“Greatest” debates are fun if you don’t take them too seriously. It’s a cool combo of objective stats, subjective preference, and context, which is kinda both.

In my book MJ at his peak was the greatest, most skilled/dominant individual player, amazing killer instinct and so locked in. LeBron has had the most statistically outstanding all around (long) career…#1 in points, top 10 in steals and assists, t-3rd most finals appearances of any player.

I think one of the most interesting stat comparisons between the two is that Jordan’s team was the betting favorite to win in all 6 of his finals appearances (he won all 6). LeBrons team was favored in 3 of his (he has won 4/10). You could interpret that to favor whichever you prefer. To me it almost evens the discussion further.

A lot of it comes down to what aspect of the game you value or prefer.

“Greatest” debates are fun if you don’t take them too seriously. It’s a cool combo of objective stats, subjective preference, and context, which is kinda both.

In my book MJ at his peak was the greatest, most skilled/dominant individual player, amazing killer instinct and so locked in. LeBron has had the most statistically outstanding all around (long) career…#1 in points, top 10 in steals and assists, t-3rd most finals appearances of any player.

I think one of the most interesting stat comparisons between the two is that Jordan’s team was the betting favorite to win in all 6 of his finals appearances (he won all 6). LeBrons team was favored in 3 of his (he has won 4/10). You could interpret that to favor whichever you prefer. To me it almost evens the discussion further.

A lot of it comes down to what aspect of the game you value or prefer.
Fair points

I have enjoyed seeing LaBron's long career.

He was hyped as the next great player in much the same way as Kareem (Lew Alcindor) was. Both of them lived up to the hype. When Kareem came out of high school, freshmen could not play on the varsity team. UCLA won the national championship his freshmen year. His freshmen team beat the UCLA varsity in scrimmages the same year. The NCAA outlawed dunking when he came on the scene.

Had he been a one and done or come into the league straight out of high school, Labron would still be chasing his scoring records.

IMO, both of them are/were better than Jordan. Jordan was the third player taken in the draft. So, he was not the consensus next great player. Both James and Kareem shot the basketball with more efficiency than Jordan. Both of them played at a very high level longer than Jordan.

Kareem shot nearly 56% from the floor for his career. His sky hook was unstoppable.

There are great players in every era. I hope that the Nuggets will bend the game in a way that teams do more than launch threes every trip down the court. The Joker will be an all time great, that was not drafted until late in the second round. The Nuggets hit the lottery with that pick.

I have enjoyed seeing LaBron's long career.

He was hyped as the next great player in much the same way as Kareem (Lew Alcindor) was. Both of them lived up to the hype. When Kareem came out of high school, freshmen could not play on the varsity team. UCLA won the national championship his freshmen year. His freshmen team beat the UCLA varsity in scrimmages the same year. The NCAA outlawed dunking when he came on the scene.

Had he been a one and done or come into the league straight out of high school, Labron would still be chasing his scoring records.

IMO, both of them are/were better than Jordan. Jordan was the third player taken in the draft. So, he was not the consensus next great player. Both James and Kareem shot the basketball with more efficiency than Jordan. Both of them played at a very high level longer than Jordan.

Kareem shot nearly 56% from the floor for his career. His sky hook was unstoppable.

There are great players in every era. I hope that the Nuggets will bend the game in a way that teams do more than launch threes every trip down the court. The Joker will be an all time great, that was not drafted until late in the second round. The Nuggets hit the lottery with that pick.
There was an interesting discussion on a sports podcast the other day about the greatest or most highly touted prospects of all time, all sports. They agreed with you that Kareem was at that top level.

Their consensus was that Tiger was possibly the only one who could claim the absolute apex, since he was on TV hitting golf balls as a small child and more or less realized all the potential that grew onward from that moment.

1. Tiger Woods
2. Tom Brady
3. Michael Jordan
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Lebron James

That is the order of elite athletes I have seen in my lifetime. I’m sure many previous would be right in that mix.
I can’t hardly watch NBA anymore the Heat are doing better than I thought they would from me loosely following.

1. Tiger Woods
2. Tom Brady
3. Michael Jordan
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Lebron James

That is the order of elite athletes I have seen in my lifetime. I’m sure many previous would be right in that mix.
I can’t hardly watch NBA anymore the Heat are doing better than I thought they would from me loosely following.
Craziest part of that list is Brady was a 6th round draft pick, they probably figured his ceiling was like an OK backup.

An all time list of great athletes that does not have Bo Jackson at the top of the list, is wrong from the get go.
That guy was phenomenal. Maybe some of these members are too young to have witnessed it. mtmuley

Requiring 50% shooting to be accepted certainly hasn’t stopped you from your gopher threads.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back