Navigating Idaho

NWisco90

Trying to plan my first western hunt and I'm having some difficulty understanding Idaho. Is the deer tag for unit 36 OTC? When would be the best time to go because if I understand it correctly the tag can also be used for black bear? Is this tag good for mule and or whitetail? I have never hunted out of state and am nervous about the whole tag/license process. I'm probably over thinking it but any and all guidance would be welcome.

Yes, 36 is OTC for deer. "Yes" to all of your questions.

Read the regs front to back, you'll thank me later. Various nuances in each unit.

I see no unit 36 otc rifle hunt but there is an archery only hunt, for mulies, that is. aug30-sept30

looks to me as if twsnow is incorrect. most 36 deer hunts are draw hunts. I could be wrong but I am not seeing any whitetail OTC. just the one hunt for mulies in 36.

36a and 36b appear to have some.

Last edited:
Km, look harder for the OTC rifle tag. It’s 10/10-24

I see nothing about whitetails. I wanted to shoot a doe outside Stanley one time but I couldn’t find anything in the regs about whitetail.

Each unit has different nuances. Some have no whitetail opportunity, some allow you to shoot white tails for a portion of the Muley hunt, etc.

If your more concerned about white tails, buy the whitetail only tag and hunt north of about whitebird. Wasting your time looking for GOOD consistent whitetail hunting in the sawtooths or southern Idaho.

The general any weapon tag for unit 36 is good for both species, dates Oct 10-24.

There is a separate archery only tag from Aug 30 - Sep 30. (edit: removed incorrect statement about archery and any weapon season being exclusive - apologies)

It looks like 36 does not have a Whitetail only tag.

The controlled hunt for this unit is #1024, and is valid from Sep 1 - Nov 30, any legal weapon. There are only 5 tags. I don't have gohunt open right now, but I'd imagine there are hundreds of annual applicants for this unit. Idaho is based on a lottery system, not points.

Last edited:
The general any weapon tag for unit 36 is good for both species, dates Oct 10-24.

There is a separate archery only tag from Aug 30 - Sep 30. You cannot have this tag and the any weapon tag - either or.

It looks like 36 does not have a Whitetail only tag.

The controlled hunt for this unit is #1024, and is valid from Sep 1 - Nov 30, any legal weapon. There are only 5 tags. I don't have gohunt open right now, but I'd imagine there are hundreds of annual applicants for this unit. Idaho is based on a lottery system, not points.
A person can hunt both the archery season and the any weapon season in 36 with the same “regular” deer tag. Just need the archery permit to hunt the archery portion. Can also harvest a whitetail or mule deer during that time frame with that tag but I would bet there are very, very few white tails in 36.

I also wouldn’t rely on gohunt as a great source for Idaho info. I’ve seen plenty of errors and inaccurate info in some of the Idaho stuff that could either lead to lots of frustration for someone and/or legal issues

+1

Listen to TheTone. Not some dude from Kansas with a go hunt subscription. No offense to Daltrix, but his post is not correct.

A person can hunt both the archery season and the any weapon season in 36 with the same “regular” deer tag. Just need the archery permit to hunt the archery portion. Can also harvest a whitetail or mule deer during that time frame with that tag but I would bet there are very, very few white tails in 36.

I also wouldn’t rely on gohunt as a great source for Idaho info. I’ve seen plenty of errors and inaccurate info in some of the Idaho stuff that could either lead to lots of frustration for someone and/or legal issues
Huh that's my bad on that interpretation - I was confusing it in my head with the separate tags for Elk I guess. I wasn't referencing gohunt for all of the info, just those draw odds. But I haven't looked at them recently.

What info have you seen that could lead to legal issues? Just season/reg type inaccuracies? Not doubting you just curious. I take gohunt info with a large grain of salt.

+1

Listen to TheTone. Not some dude from Kansas with a go hunt subscription. No offense to Daltrix, but his post is not correct.
I'm in Montana and I have hunted in Idaho several different times, but thanks for the assumption. I was incorrect about not being able to hunt the archery and general tag season on the same tag - that was my bad I was confusing it with the separate elk tags. Everything else I pulled directly from the regs

Last edited:
Some season and harvest info for some north Idaho hunts on gohunt used to have serious issues. Controlled mule deer hunts where it essentially said it was a general season, things of that nature.

Km, look harder for the OTC rifle tag. It’s 10/10-24

I see nothing about whitetails. I wanted to shoot a doe outside Stanley one time but I couldn’t find anything in the regs about whitetail.
I stand corrected sir . I do see it now. please forgive me for questioning you TSNOW. 😁

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back