National forests plans to eradicate wild boar

CALIF Caveman

Heard recently that Cleveland National Forest in San Diego plans to eradicate wild pigs on the forest. This is a violation of state law and the U.S. Management Act. They are arranging plans to stop the hunting of these desired species in SoCal and get professional trappers to get rid of them even by chopper!

Even though wild pigs are a destructive species, they are a desired species by hunters in SoCal. The forest service says they "devastate" the habitat and are willing to raise taxes even more for the eradication! If not Californians' taxes weren't high enough! But the DFG biologists disagree saying that hunters down here will keep their numbers down because hunters here are so desperate (true, so am I) that they will do anything to get any pig. And the fact that CA is the most populated state with the surrounding counties the top three populated.

You can help stop this by going to the U.S. Forest Service and contact Cleveland National Forest.

Have to disagree with hunters able to keep hogs in check. They have multiple litters each year with large litters.
Lots of avid hog/pig hunters in Arkansas and they are unable to keep the population in check, with the hog problem getting worse every year.
They are destructive and help contribute to the Wild Turkey decline that we are facing in Arkansas along with other factors.
If you have hogs, other species are going to suffer.

Can you give me a bit of background on this U.S. Management Act? Also, can you explain to me how the US Forest Service can raise taxes?

PS- I would make sure you do your research before posting on topics of land management. Many here are very well versed in it and some even do it for a living...

PPS- If the US Forest Service has the infomation that they are negatively impacting the health of the forest, I'd be all for their eradication. They are a non-native species.

Have to agree that hunters can't keep the hogs in check. They are showing up in WI and are nothing but trouble for other species. Plenty of farmers in the SW coulee region are having hog troubles and asking for hunters to help keep them in check to no avail.

Have to agree that hunters can't keep the hogs in check. They are showing up in WI and are nothing but trouble for other species. Plenty of farmers in the SW coulee region are having hog troubles and asking for hunters to help keep them in check to no avail.

I don't want hogs in WI, but I challenge your misconception that we have a hog problem in this state or that some how farmershave not received relief when it comes to taking them out. I'm on my phone at the current time I can't provide links right now but a simple call to the DNR will confirm this, there maybe a small number in or near Gays Mills at anyway one time, but nothing even significant enough that the DNR will even recommend people to travel to pursue.

IMO Any hog in this state is a problem. They have been spotted as far north as Thorp/Stanley area and a few have been taken out, mostly during rifle deer season. Just because DNR doesn't recommend travel to pursue them doesn't mean they aren't there. A small number now IMO means trouble on the horizon.

Juat like everywhere else in the state, the pressure will just push them onto private land. This had already occurred for the most part.

I'll be back soon to retype my reply. The Hunt Talk was giving me this bull that I wasn't logged in when I typed a long reply that should answer your questions. I'm gonna take a nap cause I just got back from a week long scouting trip for turkey.

See ya soon!
CALIF Caveman

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back