Caribou Gear

National Forest to Ban ALL Fat-Assed ATV Riders!!

B

BinBandB4

ATV damage investigated: Officials say illegal vehicle use hurting Shawnee forest

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS - Recent site damage could lend support to a proposed forest management plan that calls for the outright banning of all-terrain vehicle use in the Shawnee National Forest. Law enforcement for the forest are currently investigating a number of reports, including damage caused by illegal vehicle use in the Turkey Bayou Campground in the Jonesboro-Murphysboro district.

Forest service personnel said scofflaws are going around gates that were installed to prevent roads and trails from being damaged during the seasonal closure or during times when areas are vulnerable to damage by use of vehicles.

At Turkey Bayou, the disturbance "will not only affect the species of vegetation growing in the campground, but it will also diminish the recreational experience of the campers, picnickers and hikers using this area," said Jeff Seefeldt, district ranger.

Although ATV use in the Shawnee is permitted in the current forest plan, a lawsuit resulted in an injunction that effectively banned the controversial vehicles altogether. As required by the 1976 National Forest
Management Act, the forest service must prepare a new forest management plan every 15 years that considers public input and the latest scientific advances.

Shawnee officials released their draft 2005 forest plan last week. The newly proposed plan would ban the use of ATVs and off-highway vehicles for as long as the plan would remain in effect, about 10 to 15 years, said Becky Banker, public affairs officer for the forest.

Forest service officials call for a ban of ATV usage in the proposed plan, Banker said, because "It basically gets down to manpower and budget. We are working on getting designated trails for equestrian use and given the budget and manpower situation, we can't take on both issues (ATVs and equestrian usage) at one time. We're dealing with the equestrian usage for now."

Equestrians currently have access to about 95 percent of the forest for any type of riding, but the proposed plan would limit that access to designated trails only.

Banker said the proposed ban on ATVs and OHVs should not be considered an indictment of those who use the vehicles. "Much like any other forest user group, the vast majority of ATVers are highly ethical and do things the way they should be done. Just a small number of riders don't and it's not fair that they give the whole group a bad name. But our proposal is not a response to those few bad apples. It's about how much, given our budget, we can take on at one time. The forest service would not let one small minority affect land usage in the forest," she said.

Critics of ATV use in the Shawnee say the vehicles cause a number of problems to the forest, including erosion and loss of soil productivity, damage to vegetation and disturbance to the habitat of creeks, streams and lakes.

Barbara McKasson of the Sierra Club's Shawnee Group said ATVs are simply incompatible with the forest. "They don't stay on the trails and they tear up the ground tremendously. Even when illegal, they've gone into some of the most sensitive parts of the forest and torn things up," she said.

The ATVs also cause pollution, both environmental and noise, she said. One important value of the forest is as a recharging area for clean water, McKasson said, and that value is lessened by erosion and leaking fuel from ATVs.

Noise pollution affects another important use of the forest, that as a place to go for peace and quiet, she said. "ATVs ruin that restful-to-the-soul quality and the ability to take a quiet walk in the woods. ATVs can be heard up to a mile away and they greatly affect wildlife, too," McKasson said. "Their use is just inappropriate in the forest."

McKasson said there is not enough monitoring or enforcement of the forest to guard against illegal ATV use now. "Even if they allowed ATV trails, with the inadequate enforcement, they (ATV riders) would just tear up the forest even more," she said.

James Towns of Pope County said horses cause more damage to the forest than ATVs. "Sure, there are some idiots that ride and make a big mess, but I don't think ATVs do as much damage as the horses do, and I've got both. I can show you horse trails where the water is standing a foot deep and the soil is damaged by the horses," Towns said.

Towns and his friends and family are currently limited to riding on old county roads and private farmland, he said. "It's pitiful that families can't enjoy riding together in the forest. We just want a place to ride and we'd be willing to volunteer to help clean up or fix any damage caused by ATVs," he said.

The forest service will hold three open house meetings to explain the proposed plan and take public comment. Those meetings will be held in Marion on April 19, fromn;3-7 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 100 Columbus Drive; Belleville on April 20, from 3-7 p.m. at Fischer's Restaurant, 2100 W. Main St.; and in Vienna on April 21, from 3-7 p.m. at the Vienna High School Commons, 601 N. First St.

Copies of the proposed plan and Draft Environmental Impact Statement or a summary are available at the Forest Supervisor's Office, 50 Highway 145 South, Harrisburg, at many local libraries or at the forest service Web site at www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/shawnee.

Well i guess horses can be worse but atvs u think damage more , but anyway not right to take rest of atvers rights some use them to hunt not go in wreck chit my opinion anyway good read :D

It sound's like one more nail in the coffin for atv use. Gotta love that!

Sounds like we have another team member to complete the hugger circle jerk on this site. Getting very boring.

ringer, How's it feel to lose again? Get used to it. There are going to be ATV bans in a lot more areas before this is over. :D Remember, the "Ban the Fat-Assed ATVs" movement started here in SI. :D Look upon it as a national health issue, just like restrictions on cigarettes and fast food in schools. ;)

Sage Hen- I don't use a magnum but wish I had one. There have been times when it would have meant a much quicker kill. I used a 30-06 and hit an elk directly behind the front shoulder (took out both lungs). With a 300 magnum or above, It would have dropped where it stood. As it happened, it only went 400 yards and I was able to knock it down on my third shot. Sure wish I had a magnum.

I've shot about a dozen behind the shoulders and through both lungs with my bow and none of them went more than 50 yards. No way they are rinnin' 400 yards with both lungs leakin'. You must have meant 40 yards or that you took out both balls.

cjcj- Matt shoots and thinks...I've seen some pretty amazing things with shots on animals of all types. My first deer I shot with a bow, I shot at approx. 40 yrds, hit it in the butt and it died in about 50 yards (going down hill the entire way). I've seen elk shot with a 30-06 that didn't hardly flinch when they were hit. I've seen elk shot with a 7mm magnum that did the same thing. I've shot deer and had them jump straight up in the air and land in a heap...To be honest, I don't know of two animals I've shot that have reacted the same way. The toughest animal for it's size, I believe, was my mountain goat. Although, I've seen some pretty hearty pronghorn.

My point is that a magnum would allow more leeway for marginal shots. It wouldn't increase the distance of my shot nor would it increase my accuracy. It would increase the speed with which an animal goes down.

To get back on the topic of this thread (in case TB is around). I'm glad another area is being closed to fat assed atvers!

Ringer,

You must be the first person in the history of bow hunting to shoot a dozen elk behind the shoulder through both lungs and never had one go further than 50 yards. You should buy a lottery ticket, as you are one lucky SOB if you've never seen an arrow shot elk go over 50 yards.

OK say a hundred yards. I seen a few go a lot further but not with both lungs ripped. And how can you shoot a rifle through both lungs with major blowout and take three shots to down the animal? Believe me when I hit through both lungs and keep quiet the animal is dead within a minute. I watched the last four stop, let out the graon and drop. If an elk is runnin' 400 yards after a double lung shot you guys must be chasin em down the hill with your peckers out and they are runnin on fear.

Ringer,

By YOUR own admission...an animals is dead within a minute of being hit with_______weapon. Do you realize how far an________animal can run in ONE minute?

If you have to ask this question: "how can you shoot a rifle through both lungs with major blowout and take three shots to down the animal?"

You havent shot many elk...

Sage Hen- I don't use a magnum but wish I had one. There have been times when it would have meant a much quicker kill. I used a 30-06 and hit an elk directly behind the front shoulder (took out both lungs). With a 300 magnum or above, It would have dropped where it stood. As it happened, it only went 400 yards and I was able to knock it down on my third shot. Sure wish I had a magnum.

My point is that a magnum would allow more leeway for marginal shots. It wouldn't increase the distance of my shot nor would it increase my accuracy. It would increase the speed with which an animal goes down.

Matty your full of crap.
with a 338 or larger your theory would have merit.

with a 300 all you get over the dirty 06 is about 300-400 fps
just enough to cause wimps to flinch.
you would definently be better off with the 06.:D

Michaelr,

Not trying to defend anyone...but I think this statement is full of crap "a 300 all you get over the dirty 06 is about 300-400 fps"

True enough if you're shooting the same weight bullet say 165's or 180's.

But, the place where I've personally seen the 300 mags surpass the dirty ought by a long, long, way is when you shoot 200's or 220's. The 300 becomes a much better rifle than the '06 in that case, and you're no longer in the realm of 300 fps difference...you're up to 500 fps more, a lot more energy, longer bullets, more penetration etc. etc. etc. I've seen it first hand, and I've never seen a dirty ought perform like a 300 mag with 200's or 220's...not even close.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back