Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mystery ranch pop up 28 vs Outdoorsman’s Spur 50

ndc83

I’m in the market for a new daypack that I can also use to occasionally haul gear to camp for a 1-2 night stay. I’ve been looking at the Mystery Ranch pop up 28 and the Outdoorsman’s Spur 50 due to their overload shelves but relatively small size. Any experience with the individual packs or comparisons between the two would be greatly appreciated. Also looking to stay in $300-$350 Ranch which is where these two currently sit.

I too am looking at the MR Pop-up 28, but also looking at the EXO 2000. Right now I'm leaning more towards the MR.

I bought the pop-up 28 last year and I love it for day hunts. I've hauled deer out on it, and it did a great job with the weight. It has plenty of room for anything you need for a day hunt, and the pop up frame feature is fantastic. I used to carry a kelty frame with a daypack strapped on, but the rail sticking up over my head was always a frustration when going through brush. The Pop-up 28 is low profile, and the frame is tucked down out of the way until you need it for hauling. At under 5# empty weight, it is a light pack with lots of room.

I bought the pop-up 28 last year and I love it for day hunts. I've hauled deer out on it, and it did a great job with the weight. It has plenty of room for anything you need for a day hunt, and the pop up frame feature is fantastic. I used to carry a kelty frame with a daypack strapped on, but the rail sticking up over my head was always a frustration when going through brush. The Pop-up 28 is low profile, and the frame is tucked down out of the way until you need it for hauling. At under 5# empty weight, it is a light pack with lots of room.
Thanks for the information!

No experience with either, but watched Randy’s video this morning on YouTube about the PopUp. Thought I’d put it here if someone’s search leads to this thread.

I too have been looking at this style of pack and have done a fair amount of research (have not pulled the trigger yet but will prior to spring bear season). I own several packs, both haulers, day packs and scouting packs, military Molle's. All have done specific jobs well and have their place in my hunting collection. I am looking for a "do it all" style pack. This is a very difficult nitch to fill but I see the pop up 28 getting close.

I have looked at both of these packs. My personal preference is the MR for a few reasons.

Things to consider with he MR:

1) You don't get a gun or bow scabbard with MR but it's very easy to add a few straps across the back for strapping a bow down which is my preferred way to carry a bow. A few on the forum have made this modification/add on and it works just fine. As far as a rifle I already have a few Kifaru gun bearers and prefer this method of carry almost 100% of the time.
2) The Belt and Shoulder strap system along with the guide light frame style have been proven and to me look far more superior than the Outdoorsman.
4) Customer service is top notch with MR. Don't know about Outdoorsman???
5) Price is cheaper than the Outdoorsman "INITIALLY". Once you throw a couple straps for a bow strapping system, a Kifaru gun bearer and a dry bag it's a wash and in my eyes turns the pop up into a much better pack for the same price point.
6) A 2500-3000cu in. dry bag makes for a great top load option that turns the pack into an overnight pack.
7) Replaceable frame poles. Not the case with the Outdoorsman. Nice option to have.

There are a few threads on this pack here on the forum and several people have experience with the MR. I am waiting to hear Big Fins actual review of the pack in the field as he supposedly put it through it's paces this past winter in the desert?

Just my .02 based on research. I don't own the pack yet but plan on purchasing one. First order of business will be a spring bear hunt that will put it through its paces. It will spend time being dusted out on the back rack of an ATV, haul all my emergency bivy supplies, scope, tripod and basics into the back country on long day treks and hopefully haul a bear out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hauled a lot of meat in the Pop-up 28 last year, and I have no complaints. I went to it from an EXO 2000, and am not disappointed. It doesn't handle big loads as well as the EX), but it does a good enough job that it's worth it for the trade off in collapsability and weight. I really enjoyed not hitting my head on a frame everytime I looked uphill.

Super good write up on the MR Pop up 28 on the Rockslide forum

Thanks for the information everyone! I really appreciate folks being candid and comprehensive in their likes and dislikes. I’ve now started eyeing the MR sawtooth 45. Don’t know what I’ll get but have pretty well narrowed it down to a Mystery Ranch pack.

How is the stability when shooting a rifle from the yoke position? Aka in a seated position with the rifle resting on the extended frame, similar to a bipod.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back