Caribou Gear

MYSTERY RANCH -- NICE Frame Backpack system

The Hedgehog

Well, I just dropped close to a grand on backpack gear. Hopefully it's going to result in some real comfort/convenience while hunting. I'm going to warn anybody who does any sort of backpack hunting.. do not walk into the Bozeman Mystery Ranch headquarters. Whether you need a new pack or not, you will end up walking out minus quite a bit of money. This set-up is a must-have. I purchased a NICE frame, the crew-cab attachment, and the 6500 ci bag attachment. I then went to Kifaru's web-site and ordered a few other attachments. Will give a report in a few months after using it bear hunting. I've recommended a few folks to go look at this stuff, and so far all of them who've visited the place walked out having placed an order..

Too much $ for my taste too. But when you compare it to owning, gearing up, and keeping horses... chump change.

My buddy Doug and I called Greenhorn on our way to Missoula at Christmas time to find out where Mystery Ranch was located there in Bozeman...

Yep, you guessed it, we both walked out with the NICE Frame and the 4000ci bag and the 6500 ci bag...and about $900 lighter in the pocket book.

I've been using the 4000 for work, just to break it in and see how it works.

I'd be real shocked if a better pack system than the Mystery Ranch NICE could be found. It may exist, but for COMFORT, simplicity, and durability, I really doubt any pack is its rival...

Greenhorn said:
Too much $ for my taste too. But when you compare it to owning, gearing up, and keeping horses... chump change.
Excellent point, but like I think like Bambistew. I am not getting any younger and like having my ass hauled up the mountains. Sure beats an ATV. ;) Sounds like Buzz is sure liking his. :)

Note to self:

On the next trip to Idaho, gas up in Billings and keep cruising until Butte.

I'm satisfied with a Kifaru product for a pack. If I refrain from trying on other packs I will remain satisfied.....

Gear allowance will be going to a tent and/or a sleep bag. Every time I'm near a Sportsman's Warehouse or REI I go tent shopping but can't find exactly what I'm looking for yet. A lightweight 3 season, 2 man that is long (for tall people). Found the tent called Missing Link by MSR and love the roominess, but I'm skeptical about the support structure handling strong wind/moisture. Leaning toward another Kifaru product for a shelter but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet.

Dude, I never heard of that tent before so I looked it up... scary. Get a real one. I have a Bibler Eldorado I picked up from some jackass that thought $125 was a good deal. haha. But to save a little money, consider the Black Diamond Litehouse. Click on this link and hit the "compare" button. All these tents are top notch, but not so cheap. Bibler Eldorado

Lol Greenhorn,

Yea the MSR tent would do well for a summer outing to the park...maybe.

I do like the look of the Litehouse model. I looked at that one at REI. The sales gal was poo-pooing it and pointed me to the MSR for the size. She was a hottie, so listened to the merits of a roomy tent.

Nice grab on the used Bibler! That's light for a 4-season tent.

My current model is a Eureka something or other. It's proven weather worthy and bears snow weight as long as I take my time sealing it each season. It's showing it's age as it has a couple tears in the tub. I'd like something as roomy and lighter than it's 4 1/2 pounds.

If Idaho nominates me for sheep hunting this year, a top-line tent will be on order. A poor quality tent back in there could kill a fellow.

Has anyone used the Mystery Ranch packs mentioned above yet for hunting? They look pretty cool .

Mystery Ranch. sounds like Michael Jackson has a new place in Montana.

Yes, used it for bear hunting this spring and I use it nearly every day at work.

I still havent put the 6500 ci bag on the NICE frame. With the 4000 I fit all the following into it bear hunting: 2 cameras, range finder, 2 knives, game bag, rain coat, rain pants, extra jacket, spotting scope, tripod, bear hide and skull, 2 quarts of water, box of ammo, a pair of tevas, a pair of chest waders, and various smaller items. I lashed the chestwaders to the outside, everything else fit in the bag. Didnt have a real long pack out, around 3 miles or so.

I'm about half scared of trying to max out the 6500 ci bag.

I cant beleive how much much comfortable and how much difference a good pack makes...incredible. Worth every cent as far as I'm concerned.

HUMmmmmm...... I'm in Need of a Good PAck frame. My other 12 suck A$$ !!!! ;)

Greeny, Don't be giving me a Line of Chit, is the 6500 the bomb or what ? If it is, Send me the Link to Buy one........

I haven't put the 6500 bag on my frame yet, I've been using the crew-cab frame. Hands down the best backpack I've ever owned for hunting. I'll be using the 6500 this fall when I do several days worth, but I'll be taking the 6500 off the frame and attaching the crewcab to use while hunting.

Greenhorn,
I was going to go with the Penguin as a daypack on the NICE frame, but that crewcab looks like it will do just as good or better than the Penguin. Is that your opinion?

What Kifaru accessories did you buy?

Aw heck, I just went for it. I just got off the phone with Andrew and he's got a NICE frame, 6500 bag and crewcab on order for me. Should have everything in 5 weeks. I was getting worried that I'd procrastinate too long and they'd be backordered until after hunting season.

lets see some pictures of these things.... Last 2 years i came home with major rug burn where the Cabelas Alaskan pack rides on my hips. The straps loosen up, not comfy at all. I am interested.
Greenhorn that tent looks like it would be a condensation nighmare. Where is the ventilation? Is it a 4 seasons tent?

lets see some pictures of these things....
http://www.mysteryranch.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_7_16&zenid=7cfbf788b771e781295fd28f1713e3c2
You wont regret that purchase...unless the wife finds out about it.
Not much she can say. I'm making all the money...for the next couple of months anyway.;) Besides, it was an easy sell.

Her: "I was thinking about flying to San Fran for my cousin's wedding next month."

Me: "Sure, go for it! BTW, I ordered an $800 backpack today." :D ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back