Mystery Ranch Metcalf Fit

bcar

I just got my Metcalf in the mail yesterday and man is it an awesome pack or what? This is my first high end pack so bear with me..

I had read extensive reviews on various packs before purchasing, my wife was so fed up with my talking about packs lol. One common theme I'd see on threads was that each high end pack fits a little different, and that you needed to get the pack that fit you right. I had tried on a metcalf at a Scheels and it seemed like it fit fine. Of course right after I made the purchase online I saw a post that MR packs wouldn't work for people with a curved back (which I have), and specifically the guy said that the MR caused him lots of pain. My main question is: How do you know if the pack fits you right, and what pain would a pack cause? Also can anyone else give any input on the curved back issue with the MR's? I've put 20# in my metcalf and walked around the house some. The weight and fit felt great, but I've never tried on a Kiui, Exo, Kifaru ect... to know any difference. All I know is that the MR is a lot better than my eberle X1. I also don't fully understand how the fit between different brands can make such a difference? It seems like each brands frame is fairly similar...

Thanks in advance.

Having the good fortune of living near Bozeman, I went to Mystery Ranch headquarters and confirmed proper fitting of my Metcalf. The fella assisting me encouraged me to return or call with any questions, so I am certain you could get some good advice and perhaps even a talk-through self-fitting over the phone.
phone: 1-833-548-1999

Everyone has a curved back, unless they have a severe spinal deformity. Sometimes it takes some adjusting and playing with things to get the right fit. Throw 40-50 pounds in it and go for a hike. After about 10-15 minutes, adjust things a little bit, either extending the frame or shortening it. When you really get it dialed in right, you'll know it. MR has some good videos on adjustment. I went with that as the initial fitment and then fine tuned from there.

Great packs, I've had mine for six years and love it.

I assume this person was talking about the lumbar region of their back just being more curved than the average human, which I've been told my normal posture is fairly curved in that area. Nothing sever. I do plan on watching their videos and loading the pack up. It doesn't sound like you two guys are very worried about different brands of packs not fitting certain people well.

I can't speak to the new Guide Light frame as I have the NICE model. Some people will certainly prefer one type of pack over the other. And, in all fairness, I've never tried a Stone Glacier, Kuiu, or EXO. I have tried Eberlestock and hated it. I went from a Dana Design mountaineering pack to the MR Metcalf.

You'll likely find more difference in how the waist belt rides for you than anything involving your lumbar region. If you are relatively average in terms of torso length and hip structure, I'm sure the MR will serve you well.

I have worn and used NICE framed MR packs as well as most of the Guide Light packs. As one post states, we all have curved backs, from the lumbar up to our C7 in the neck. No one has a 'flat back'; anatomically impossible, actually.

That being said, part of the design that works with MR packs and harnessing is how it is basically separate from the frame -- the yoke, waistbelt and lumbar pad. That design allows the wearer to micro adjust the yoke length, as well as the fit and snugness of the belt. The lumbar pad is made to ride where it should, and encompass enough to provide support, but not so much that it impedes on waist and lumbar "wrap". JLS and Straight Arrow's comments about adjusting, using weight, etc. are spot on. Like a pair of good leather hunting boots, fit, adjustment and fine tuning now will yield a comfy, well-fitting (and great carrying) pack later.

DM if you have other questions, happy to help!

I have used the MR Metcalf with the guide light frame as well as the Marshall and Beartooth 80 with the Guide Light MT frame before switching to Kifaru. I would recommend watching the videos on the MR youtube channel, then watching the videos on fitting a Kifaru on their youtube channel as well. Reason being, they have different options for back curvature and you can take that info and modify your fit with extra padding in certain places to dial in fit. Another KEY that has already been mentioned is don't make any adjustments until you have 40-50 lbs of weight in the pack. It will drastically change where the pack rides. Also, look at yourself in the mirror from the side with the pack on and loaded. You will be able to see the relation of the load lifters to you shoulders and adjust accordingly.

I have used the MR Metcalf with the guide light frame as well as the Marshall and Beartooth 80 with the Guide Light MT frame before switching to Kifaru. I would recommend watching the videos on the MR youtube channel, then watching the videos on fitting a Kifaru on their youtube channel as well. Reason being, they have different options for back curvature and you can take that info and modify your fit with extra padding in certain places to dial in fit. Another KEY that has already been mentioned is don't make any adjustments until you have 40-50 lbs of weight in the pack. It will drastically change where the pack rides. Also, look at yourself in the mirror from the side with the pack on and loaded. You will be able to see the relation of the load lifters to you shoulders and adjust accordingly.
You work for Kifaru don't you? mtmuley

I would love to say I worked in the industry at all...or lived out west like you mtmuley but I actually live in TN. Just a gear head who is addicted to western hunting and time in the mountains.

I assume this person was talking about the lumbar region of their back just being more curved than the average human, which I've been told my normal posture is fairly curved in that area. Nothing sever. I do plan on watching their videos and loading the pack up. It doesn't sound like you two guys are very worried about different brands of packs not fitting certain people well.
Kifaru does a video on this to show if a buyer needs curved stays in their pack. Basically stand against a wall. If you can place your fist in the space between your lower back and wall with minimal effort, you have a “curved” back. A small % of the population does. If that’s the case you might need something a little more custom, but chances are you’re like most of us here—flat backs and flat asses. I have used MR, Exo, and Kifaru. The Kifaru fits me best so I stayed with it. Trial and error!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back