Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mystery Ranch Marshall vs Stone Glacier Sky 5900

TexAg09

Hey guys, I'm sorry for another backpack post, but I'm having a hard time making up my mind. It's getting crunch time to order any new gear, and I need your help! (Plus my wife said yes, so I don't want to wait in case she changes her mind haha!) I live in TX, so there isn't anywhere close to try these packs out.

I just got back from my scouting trip and my Slumberjack Bounty 4500 is just not long enough in the torso for me. I've used it for a couple of years and I love it, but it kills my shoulders under really heavy loads. It's max torso length is 21", and I'm about 23". I normally pack in about 6 miles for 6-7 days in some pretty nasty steep stuff in UT. I'm 6'4" 245lbs, and in pretty good shape. I'd like a pack that fits properly, has a load shelf, can carry my gear (the 4500 was a real tight fit with gear), be used as a day pack during the hunt, and a way to carry a rifle. Right now I'm looking between the MR Marshall or a SG Sky 5900. Do you have any advice, opinions or experiences with these packs that might be helpful? Please let me know if there are better options out there as well. Unfortunately, most packs such as Exo really only work to about a 21" torso length. I appreciate any input.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/marshall-pack

https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/multi-day-packs/products/sky-5900-new

Last edited:
Stone Glacier Sky series is the nicest pack I’ve ever worn, and I’ve worn a few, including the Marshall.

PM sent.

Stone Glacier Sky series is the nicest pack I’ve ever worn, and I’ve worn a few, including the Marshall.

PM sent.

Gomer, have you ever tried a Kifaru pack? I can't imagine liking a Stone Glacier as much as my Kifaru. Mystery Ranch doesn't compare to Kifaru in my opinion. I've never tried a Stone Glacier, but would like to.

Gomer, have you ever tried a Kifaru pack? I can't imagine liking a Stone Glacier as much as my Kifaru. Mystery Ranch doesn't compare to Kifaru in my opinion. I've never tried a Stone Glacier, but would like to.

I've used a Kifaru, while their meat shelf works as advertised (only present on some models), it feels kinda like they begrudgingly added it on cause everyone else had one and customers were complaining, I know Aron Synder has mentioned in podcasts that he doesn't like them (which in my opinion is silly). Stone Glacier on the other hand built their pack around the meat shelf. Both are great packs, Kifaru feels more like a military style pack that was adapted for hunting, while SG pack's feels like it was designed by a mountaineer who wanted a purpose specific platform... ultralight, backpack hunting.

Shocker, somebody thinks their item is the best and should have been acknowledged as such.

I’m with MTGomer, preferring SG. Never tried a kifaru. Tried multiple mystery ranch packs. I’m 6’4” & 210 lbs. mystery ranch makes good packs. They’re heavy, lots of pockets & bells & whistles. SG are more stripped down, few pockets, bells or whistles. My SG compresses very well for a day pack, the meat shelf works great. I’ll continue with SG until I’m too old to worry about packing animals. I’ve only used these two brands so not knocking on the other brands. Of the 2 mentioned SG is the easy choice.

Looks like we've got us a Kuiu fan boy. At least I didn't make it my avatar.

You went out of your way to talk about how great Kifaru is just because somebody else said the SG is the nicest pack they’ve worn, and I’m the fanboy? So what if I have the Kuiu logo as my avatar, I never mentioned Kuiu in this post.

For me it was down to exo 5500 and the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. A year end close-out at Scheels on the MR sealed the deal - too good a price to pass up. Happy with the purchase, but time will tell.

I've used both a MR Nice frame and a SG Krux. I tried to like the MR for a couple years but even after working with a customer service rep, I could never get it to be comfortable or stop slipping off my hips with weight in it. I had the same issue with the SG until calling them and doing a couple suggestions on adjusting the lumbar pad. This will be my 4th year running that frame and see no reason to change except for I like testing new gear and the SeekOutside frame has peaked my interest.
Now for the pack bags, I much more preferred my Metcalf over my Sky 5100. Durability, accessibility, the layout with the side zip over a front zip to name a few. Not saying the Sky isn't exactly what it was designed to be. A lightweight, streamlined, minimalist bag with not a lot of extras. I've tried mounting the Metcalf onto the Krux but it just doesn't work cleanly.
Hope this helps.

Both MR and SG make great packs. Take your pick and be happy with it. I have used a MR Metcalf for years but I'm sure I'd be just as satisfied with a SG as I have friends that rave about them.

I have not used a Mystery Ranch, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I don't think you'd be disappointed with a Stone Glacier. I had a Kifaru for a few years and loved it. I've now had a Stone Glacier (5900 on XCurve) for over a year and love it even more. I'd say with 70+ pounds I liked the Kifaru more, but the 90% of the time I'm hunting without a ton of weight in it, I much prefer the Stone Glacier. The load shelf for packing meat is just plain awesome.

Good luck with your purchase. The value of a lightly used pack stays fairly high, so if you don't like your decision, sell and try another.

Back