Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My very first buck EVER ... rifle or bow!

bigdonniebrasco

As I'm sure some of you know, I got serious about hunting within the past year. I wanted to harvest a Pronghorn buck (I did that last month) and I also wanted to harvest a whitetail buck this year (Elk and Mulie bucks within the next few years).

I have never been a serious bowhunter, but this past year I got a new-to-me bow and practiced a lot. When season cam around I sat in as many treestands as possible for as long as possible, but the difference this year... I tried to be SMARTER. I really paid attn to the wind, the weather patterns, scrapes, rubs etc. In years past I never saw a buck, and on rarely saw does. This year, I saw more deer in a DAY than I saw in the past five years combined. I took a really nice doe last week in central KS, and last Friday I finally got my buck!

I had seen lots of nice bucks, and a few MONSTERS, one 12 point beast outsmarted me one morning and I simply wasn't ready for him to walk out to the West of me at 12 yards... I was at full draw facing East! When I turned and saw him, he looked at me and bounced off... I was devastated, and wanted to scream! LOL
A week later my hunting buddy shot a REALLY nice 10 point from "my" stand while I was out of town.

Then last Friday I snuck out of work a few hours early to go sit for 3 hours in a stand that I had ZERO confidence in, but my partner said would be perfect for this North wind that had come up.
after about an hour of sitting I had a nice doe come in at 50 yards and stop, after a few minutes a very VERY large, perfect 12 point buck came crashing past as mach 2 with 3 coyotes in hot pursuit! ARGH!!!!

I was was again crushed, and even took a potshot at a yote (clean miss).

About 30 min left of shooting light and I looked over my right shoulder and up on a ridge to the north of me at about 60 yards was a deer ... looked like a buck but I wasn't sure til he turned to walk away.

My hunting buddy is in his sixties and SWEARS by grunt calls for whitetail bucks, but I never gave them much faith, but I had nothing to lose ...... "gruuuuunt" he froze, turned, and started lumbering my way like Eeyore from Winnie-the-Pooh. Scraping every little tree along the way. At about 50 yards I could tell he had some head-gear but I told myself "DO NOT LOOK AT HIS RACK"! I knew I would just get all shaky and flub the shot, or worse, injure him. I could see his face, and he looked OLD... really old!
My mouth got REALLY dry, my knees were weak, and I was a little concerned standing on the tiny platform! It took more work than usual to get my release to the loop. If he stayed to my left I would have to contend with my safety harness strap, and I wasn't sure how that would work. As Eeyore closed the distance directly behind me, he took a sharp turn South. That meant due to my harness, I would have to do a 360 degree pirouette in order to have him at 15 yards to the southeast of me instead of northeast of me. I was terrified my stand would creak or something but it didn't. I picked where I would try and stop him, and he was almost there. My ears filled with the POUNDING of my heart, I could FEEL my heart just banging against my ribs, and I was shaking like a virgin at the moment of truth "this really might happen" ............

I think I made some sort of stupid noise you hear on hunting shows when they try and stop a deer... I don't think he stopped, I honestly don't remember. I made the dumb noise and released at the same time. In my head the shot looked good. He made a half-hearted buck and trotted a few steps, flicked his tail and started strolling up the ridge to the south of me. I was freaking out, trembling, cotton mouth, and sure that I had just wounded a buck I would never find in the dark! It was supposed to be almost 80 degrees tomorrow.
He stopped to look around, flick his tail and keep walking up the ridge like nothing happened! I was quietly "praying" out loud "go down, go down". At the top of the ridge he looked around walked several steps and laid down. After a moment, he laid over, then decided to stand, but he was very wobbly so he laid back down 40 yards from my stand. No thrashing or anything.

There is a part of me that seriously think that he was like "I'm old and tired, and I don't feel like fighting this".

I am no deer expert but the 2 lifelong hunters that helped me drag him out swore this brute was 7+years old, and pushing 300 pounds. Almost no top teeth.

They encouraged me to just grind him into burger and be done with him, but for some reason that didn't feel like the honorable thing to do with this majestic monarch! I do all my own processing and last night we had a blind tasting with my with and girls. I cut sirloin from the hind, his backstraps, DOE backstraps, and his MASSIVE heart. Hard to believe the the overall winner was hind-cut sirloin and it was spectacular!!!

*my 6 yr old daughter almost ate the entire heart herself!

I like to think that this old guy was just the master of his territory, and he went out on top before getting beat down, run out and having those coyotes run him down, or worse, winter/starvation.

Thanks for listening to my rambling, no one else "gets it"!

I am adding pict of the BIG doe that I shot as a comparison to the sheer mass of this monster!

Attachments

• 20161103_193143.jpg
    20161103_193143.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 740
  • 20161103_230041.jpg
    20161103_230041.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 710
  • 20161104_132853.jpg
    20161104_132853.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 20161106_182943.jpg
    20161106_182943.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 718
  • Screenshot_20161104-192047.jpg
    Screenshot_20161104-192047.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 715
  • Screenshot_20161104-192113.jpg
    Screenshot_20161104-192113.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 722
That is a bruiser of a buck with great character on the rack's right side. Super job!

This is definitely a trophy for you! Nice first buck. I would definitely put it up on the wall. Most of us I think have little spikes or forked horns for our first bucks, I know mine was. But I still have it and it is a trophy in my book.

FWIW, and don't think I am picking at all, but if you do plan to put some animals on the wall, you should look into what it takes to "cape" an animal. This is the removal of the skin from the head down the neck. The taxidermist will use this to make your shoulder mount. Don't worry about yours, as he can use one from another animal if you want.

FWIW, and don't think I am picking at all, but if you do plan to put some animals on the wall, you should look into what it takes to "cape" an animal. This is the removal of the skin from the head down the neck. The taxidermist will use this to make your shoulder mount. Don't worry about yours, as he can use one from another animal if you want.

Not picking at all, I understand :)
I contemplated doing a shoulder mount, and I went back and forth, but finally decided I'd just do a euro for a multitude of reasons. I may very well live to regret it, but as it stands It'll be skull-n-rack to go opposite the Euro I am doing on the Pronghorn.

Thanks for the input, as I may very well need to know how to properly cape one out for the future.

I've grown to like euros for two reasons: they take up far less room and are even easier on the wallet. I've done all my "firsts" and now get things done with euro, which still look awesome. If you do go that way, I suggest getting it done with beetles vs. boiling. It'll save some of the finer details.

Congratulations and beautiful first buck. Great story as well. Are you planning to do a euro mount of this trophy?

Not picking at all, I understand :)
I contemplated doing a shoulder mount, and I went back and forth, but finally decided I'd just do a euro for a multitude of reasons. I may very well live to regret it, but as it stands It'll be skull-n-rack to go opposite the Euro I am doing on the Pronghorn.

Thanks for the input, as I may very well need to know how to properly cape one out for the future.

If you do find that regret becomes overwhelming, you can always use a cape from a future buck to go with the antlers....kind of a twofer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back