PEAX Equipment

My next project...

This would be taking .284 win brass and necking it down to .277, right? By pressing into a resizing die? I like the idea of a .270-.284 but seems this would be complicated as you already need a custom-made die set before forming brass. And I've never tried necking down, but I do know how easy it is to buckle a casing at the shoulder when I've gone too deep with a neck-sizer.
So then neck up 6.5-284.
Quality cases available too.

And i already use 7X57 Mauser cases necked down to 257 Roberts, so your case colapse theory is a non issue.

Already have the action, and planning for this to be a backpack, primarily medium-size game rifle. So thinking of bullet weights between 130-154gn Hornady Interbonds or Nosler Accubonds, or the like. I'm not interested in jamming a 195gn bullet into a .284 casing. I have my .280 AI for that if the mood takes me.

Nothing wrong with a 284win but the easy button would be 7-08.
Do you own anything 6.5?

This would be taking .284 win brass and necking it down to .277, right? By pressing into a resizing die? I like the idea of a .270-.284 but seems this would be complicated as you already need a custom-made die set before forming brass. And I've never tried necking down, but I do know how easy it is to buckle a casing at the shoulder when I've gone too deep with a neck-sizer.
You just need to buy a bushing die. .284 to .277 isn’t going to cause any problems crushing a case.

Nothing wrong with a 284win but the easy button would be 7-08.
Do you own anything 6.5?
I already have a 7-08, and surely you could pick up that I'm really not looking for the easy button. And just not that interested in 6.5mm. Nothing wrong with it, but I just prefer to have a bigger hole in my elk than that. My fam and I have shot a lot of deer with a .243, but I have always felt that .277 is about as small as I want to go for most applications. That's just me.

I already have a 7-08, and surely you could pick up that I'm really not looking for the easy button. And just not that interested in 6.5mm. Nothing wrong with it, but I just prefer to have a bigger hole in my elk than that. My fam and I have shot a lot of deer with a .243, but I have always felt that .277 is about as small as I want to go for most applications. That's just me.

I totally get it and understand the addiction.
The 270-08 would be easiest if sticking with .277. Just run 260 brass through a FL die and trim to length. You could use a 7-08 or 260 Rem bushing die and swap the stem/expander and order a bushing.
If you want to change bolt head the 6.8Western is another option.

If you like the .270, Browning is twisting it right, and Hammer is cutting the bullets. mtmuley

Well I know you said 130-154gr bullets and if that's what you are looking for a 6.5x284 Win is right there in the sweet spot.
Medium size Game is what I use my .264 Win Mag for and a .264 diameter bullet will do anything you need done on Medium size game. It has for Me on Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer and Caribou.
Save your time on the reloading bench skip the wildcats.

Well I know you said 130-154gr bullets and if that's what you are looking for a 6.5x284 Win is right there in the sweet spot.
Medium size Game is what I use my .264 Win Mag for and a .264 diameter bullet will do anything you need done on Medium size game. It has for Me on Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer and Caribou.
Save your time on the reloading bench skip the wildcats.
People want, what they want.
If Brian wants a 270, then that's what he should build.
Plus he already mentioned he's not interested in a 6.5mm.

Some people enjoy spending time at the reloading bench & the sense of accomplishment by bringing a wildcat to fruition.

You just need to buy a bushing die. .284 to .277 isn’t going to cause any problems crushing a case.
Besides a couple of neck-sizers, I've only used pretty standard dies that come in a set, Hornady Custom Grade with a bullet seater and FL resizer. I know, basically, what a bushing die is but that is only because my die 280AI die set is the Hornady Match Grade in which the resizer uses a bushing. So, anyway, can you point me in a specific direction as far as a bushing die for this purpose, necking down .284 brass?

You just order the bushing sizes you want. Bullet diameter +3-6 thousands depending on the brass neck thickness. Then just use it as normal. I normally order 3 different dies and use the feel of the handle wen seating a bullet.

So I guess, in theory, one could take a Hornady Custom Grade die for .284win and just use an appropriately smaller bushing, and change out the expander? I'm specifically mentioning Hornady just because I'm familiar with it.

So I guess, in theory, one could take a Hornady Custom Grade die for .284win and just use an appropriately smaller bushing, and change out the expander? I'm specifically mentioning Hornady just because I'm familiar with it.
Yep. That is exactly what you would do. If going from .284 to .277 you can easily do that in one step.
For the seating die you can then just buy a .277 size seating stem and swap it out.

If you really want a .277, then the 6.8 Western might be a good candidate for you, too. Otherwise I'd echo @brockel with the 7saum idea.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back