My next project...

Ive looked into the 6.8 Western. It would require that I change the bolt face and it would take up more space in the magazine, both are cons, still considering it.

The headaches of wildcatting should get you some kind of marginal improvement. Making a 260, 7/08, or 284 into a .277 bore is the opposite of improvement.

7mm bullets of the same weight frequently have very close to equal BC but you should be able to have slight gains in velocity, barrel life, and ease of finding accurate and consistent loads.

Ive looked into the 6.8 Western. It would require that I change the bolt face and it would take up more space in the magazine, both are cons, still considering it.
It's easier open 6.5X284 case then necking down 284 case for 270x284. I have some Nosler 6.5x284 new and I neck one up for 270x284. You would need bushing .306 neck down 284 case but that based on cases I have. If you want I can send you couple cases neck down. I did 30x284 about 20yrs ago and with powder back then I could equal 30-06 with 165gr/180gr.

I may neck 284 down since have bushing for that just to see what it looks like.

Well.. at this point I'm pretty well settled on going with a .284 Win. - just a neat cartridge all around. As far as twist rate goes, I'm intending to focus on 150gn bullets, or 140s, but I really don't have much interest in trying to go higher than 160gn (bear in mind this is going to be a lightweight, backpacking, medium-to-large-game hunting rifle). I'm leaning towards a 1 in 9 twist, but maybe a 1in 10 would be better? Probably not enough difference to tell for the application and projectiles I have in mind, but it's hard not to overthink these things.

Well.. at this point I'm pretty well settled on going with a .284 Win. - just a neat cartridge all around. As far as twist rate goes, I'm intending to focus on 150gn bullets, or 140s, but I really don't have much interest in trying to go higher than 160gn (bear in mind this is going to be a lightweight, backpacking, medium-to-large-game hunting rifle). I'm leaning towards a 1 in 9 twist, but maybe a 1in 10 would be better? Probably not enough difference to tell for the application and projectiles I have in mind, but it's hard not to overthink these things.
Brian
A 10 twist would work for your desired bullets. Nothing wrong with a 9 twist either in case you decide to go heavier or monos. I’d go with whichever was in stock in your barrel of choice. If both are available go 9 for sure.

I've got a 1:9.5 twist on my 284 Win.
That will take you easily through 168gr bullets.

Bear in mind, SAAMI 284 Win reamers have a loooong freebore.
Mostly due to the firearms Winchester designed it around.

If you get some 284 Win cases & the bullet you want to use, you can make up a dummy round & get the freebore specs for it.

Already have the action, and planning for this to be a backpack, primarily medium-size game rifle. So thinking of bullet weights between 130-154gn Hornady Interbonds or Nosler Accubonds, or the like. I'm not interested in jamming a 195gn bullet into a .284 casing. I have my .280 AI for that if the mood takes me.
What's your 280ai set up?

Back