My next elk load

Flyfish4ever

Just got myself a new .308 and am looking to build a load for it. The gun is a bergara B14 hunter. I have my vx-3 coming this week.

I want to make a load with one of 3 bullets: accubond 165, Tsx 168 or TTSX 168.
I have varget on hand and would prefer to use that if possible.

thanks

In my view, you should go non-lead. If you go Barnes, you should take advantage of the improved BC and expansion of the tipped Barnes TTSX.

I would also heed the long standing advice that it is best to drop down a weight when going non-lead. With 99% weight retention you will get the same or better penetration with a lighter bullet and will be able to get higher velocities which help with drop, wind drift and terminal expansion. As such I shoot 150 grain TTSX out of my .308Win.

I like the Barnes TTSX a lot, but if you’re not committed to shooting lead free I’d just see what your rifle prefers. I too would drop to a 150 if you go with the TTSX. A 150 Barnes or a 165 Accubond are both excellent choices. My dad shoots the 165 Accubond over Varget in his .308 and it is a killer.

I think that any of those would work great, in addition to the 150 TTSX, if your rifle likes them. Keep in mind that the 168 was made for the .308, to open at lower velocity and to be used in a tighter magazine/shorter necked cartridge. The 165 TTSX takes a little more velocity to open up per Barnes. I would use Varget, RL15, or H4895, in that order, but there are several others that would work also

As many have said, the 150 ttsx, or E tip would also be great choices. But, if you're going heavier, I'd definitely recommend the 168 ttsx over the 165. It's made to open at lower velocities and you aren't going to be setting any velocity records with that load.

I bought a Remington Model Seven SS in 308 last year. That thing shoots Nosler Trophy Grade ammo with 165 grain Partitions and Accubonds so well that I'm not gonna reload for it.

If I were going with a mono bullet, it would be the 130 grain TTSX.

Varget, or RL15, should serve you very well. They have me. Which ever bullet shoots best in your is the one to run with.

My .308 likes 46grns of Varget behind a 165grn Accubond. But my go-to .308 load has recently been H4895 pushing a 165gn Fed TBT. I've not tried Barnes bullets in .308; I have a level of discomfort shooting a solid copper with an MV of less than 3000fps. But this is based only on theoretical knowledge and not experience, I admit. If I were going to load Barnes it would be a 150gn TTSX about as fast as I could push it.

I shoot the 168TTSX out of my .308, they have performed very well for me. They shoot best a few tenths under a max charge of imr 4064 or 8208, havent tried varget but I'm sure you'll find a load it likes. If I remember right I'm .070" off the lands.

Thank you all for your insight. I might have some 150gr TTSX on hand that i can try to load with. I also have some 165gr accubonds that i got a few weeks back. Ill head to the range in the morning and ill see what groups best!

thanks again!

Matt

Mine shoots great with 165 accubonds or 168 Etips. R-15 or IMR 4064 are the powders mine likes.

As an update: went to the range today. Accubonds shot by far the best .233” (measured from outside edges and subtracting bullet diameter from group) at 100 yards 5 shot group.
I didn’t think I was capable of that. Surprised me.
150 TTSX shot about 1.1” at 100yds 5 shot group.
The best loads are as follows:
NATO brass
CCI200 primers
165grain accubond
44.4 grains varget
2.800 COAL
and
150grain TTSX
46.0 grains varget
2.835 COAL

As an update: went to the range today. Accubonds shot by far the best .233” (measured from outside edges and subtracting bullet diameter from group) at 100 yards 5 shot group.
I didn’t think I was capable of that. Surprised me.
The best loads are as follows:
NATO brass
CCI200 primers
165grain accubond
44.4 grains varget
2.800 COAL
Sounds like you found your elk load. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew